28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I've seen that I'm not alone that 4.6 will often only play maybe 50-100 MS of audio before dropping out. There's also an error message (seems to be a different problem though) about a conflict with the app or a plug-in ...

I'm swapping emails with Support. So far they're querying the speed of my HD (5400rpm) which hasn't been a problem before. I've also got my Audio Files drive AND my Samples drive on an external USB 3.0 drive (two partitions) so I can swap between my main PC and a laptop.

I was wondering if there are any common denominators here. The suggestion is that my C Drive isn't up to the task now.

Running Win 10 Pro 64, a Tascam USB 208i interface, 8GB Ram, i5 Quad core CPU.

Cheers!
by robertgray3 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:02 pm
The common denominator for my issues with the audio engine crashing was 4.5 or earlier song files opened on 4.6. The same songs recreated in 4.6 were fine.

My feature requests (every vote helps!)

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by GMHague on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:20 pm
robertgray3 wroteThe common denominator for my issues with the audio engine crashing was 4.5 or earlier song files opened on 4.6. The same songs recreated in 4.6 were fine.

When you say "recreated" in 4.6 do mean a new Song altogether and importing all the files across? How did you recreate the various plug-in and EQ settings, etc, for the individual tracks?

Thanks!
by robertgray3 on Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:31 pm
I don’t remember if I used Import Song Data or not but at the end of the day I created an identical session in 4.6. Sorry if that’s not super informative.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by torstenlang on Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:30 am
yea I'm also quite frustrated with some of those things. Some projects created with older versions make studio one crash hard when opening them in 4.6 now. (I kept the 4.5 just in case and opening with this one still works fine).
Also it sometimes crashes just in the middle of playing back.
Last edited by torstenlang on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
by scottyo7 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm
torstenlang wroteyea I'm also quite frustrated with some of those things. Some projects created with older versions make studio one crash hard when opening them in 4.6 now. (I kept the 4.5 just in case and opening with this one still works fine).

And the dropouts... not sure if you mean the same, but I often have cpu spikes happening since version 4.5 and with those come some annoying clipping sounds. And I have a SSD drive, I'm on a mac with high sierra i7 2.8 GHz and Metric Halo ULN8 and sometimes 2882 Interface. Never had those issues when I was on S1 version 3 on the same computer.

Well I've somehow dodged most other S1 issues for the last 10 years but this one has been a killer. :roll:
What I don't get is that this:
"Some projects created with older versions make studio one crash hard when opening them in 4.6 now."
How can so many of us users (me included) be experiencing this... yet it wasn't found during testing before versions 4.6.0 and 4.6.1 were released? :oops:

If you've not already done so... Please add your Signature & Gear Spec's to your Profile Here.
ASUS Laptop, i7 3820QM; 16GB; 2 Samsung 840 SSD's; NVIDIA GTX 670MX; Win 8.1.
S1 Pro 4.6.1; EZD2 2.1.8. Behringer UMC404HD USB A/I.
Synths: Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite. Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, (all 64bit).
Akai MPK249. 6 guitars. Eleven Rack, 2 Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
Fluid Audio FX8 monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Faderport;

-My Band: "2GUYZINABASEMENT"
-Just Me
by GMHague on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:27 pm
torstenlang wroteyea I'm also quite frustrated with some of those things. Some projects created with older versions make studio one crash hard when opening them in 4.6 now. (I kept the 4.5 just in case and opening with this one still works fine).

And the dropouts... not sure if you mean the same, but I often have cpu spikes happening since version 4.5 and with those come some annoying clipping sounds..

Hi, no the dropouts I'm talking about are when S1 plays maybe 50-100ms of audio before going silent ... but it's not really a dropout, because you can still hear and monitor armed tracks and hear VI's. Very odd.

scottyo7 wrote
torstenlang wroteWell I've somehow dodged most other S1 issues for the last 10 years but this one has been a killer. :roll:
What I don't get is that this:
"Some projects created with older versions make studio one crash hard when opening them in 4.6 now."
How can so many of us users (me included) be experiencing this... yet it wasn't found during testing before versions 4.6.0 and 4.6.1 were released? :oops:

Yes, it's an odd one. My S1 has stopped crashing after that one instance where, after the error message and dump file creation, I opened a wave file in Edit View and everything went back to normal! (touch wood). I'm still suffering the dropouts, but I acknowledge I need to get rid of the 5400rpm drive before anything, which is hopefully an exercise for the weekend. It must be quite an old drive too. My bad, not noticing that when I was swapping HD's everywhere to get the clean install while keeping the previous Win 7 drive, just in case.
by robertgray3 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:48 pm
The “going silent” issue is the audio engine de-synchronizing. Throws a 666 error in the mixer. Doesn’t usually have anything to do with a hard drive, I only use SSDs and like I said some 4.5 songs had that all the time in 4.6. Support told me if it always happens in the same spot it can help narrow down which plugin or interaction is causing it but when it’s work I’m doing for clients there are some issues I just don’t have the time or energy to figure out when Import Song Data makes it so easy to keep moving along.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by GMHague on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:26 am
robertgray3 wroteThe “going silent” issue is the audio engine de-synchronizing. Throws a 666 error in the mixer. Doesn’t usually have anything to do with a hard drive, I only use SSDs and like I said some 4.5 songs had that all the time in 4.6. Support told me if it always happens in the same spot it can help narrow down which plugin or interaction is causing it but when it’s work I’m doing for clients there are some issues I just don’t have the time or energy to figure out when Import Song Data makes it so easy to keep moving along.

I thought the "666" thing mentioned elsewhere was just a joke ... some kind of "your DAW is possessed" joke. The dropouts for me don't have to be at any particular place. I agree it's unlikely to be anything to do with HD, but while Support can hang its hat on the possible issue I need to eliminate that fact -- and I was going to do it anyway. Today I bought a 240GB SSD for $78 ... which is just mindblowing considering how expensive they used to be.

Where can I find out more about the 666 error and desynchronising?

There's got to be something that's causing this issue for some and not for others.

Cheers!
by garyshepherd on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:08 am
robertgray3 wroteThe “going silent” issue is the audio engine de-synchronizing. Throws a 666 error in the mixer. Doesn’t usually have anything to do with a hard drive, I only use SSDs and like I said some 4.5 songs had that all the time in 4.6. Support told me if it always happens in the same spot it can help narrow down which plugin or interaction is causing it but when it’s work I’m doing for clients there are some issues I just don’t have the time or energy to figure out when Import Song Data makes it so easy to keep moving along.

I have had this with the previous version - audio stops (although other apps such as Spotify and YouTube still have sound) - and it seems to happen on certain songs and in the same place. I need to test this update to see if it has changed. I thought it might have been my interface but if others have the problem then it at least seems to be an S1 issue. It was beginning to really bug me.

Gary Shepherd

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Mojave OS 10.14.6, 64 bit, Studio One 4 Professional 4.6 (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 4.2.3 Editor, Digital Performer 10.01, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 1.82, Bias FX 2 Elite 2.1.6, Superior Drummer 3.1.2, EZkeys 1.2.5, Alesis Q49, Audient iD14, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by robertgray3 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 am
garyshepherd wrote

I have had this with the previous version - audio stops (although other apps such as Spotify and YouTube still have sound) - and it seems to happen on certain songs and in the same place. I need to test this update to see if it has changed. I thought it might have been my interface but if others have the problem then it at least seems to be an S1 issue. It was beginning to really bug me.

If it always happens in the same place then it’s much easier to figure out what’s causing it. It might not be an S1 issue! Some in the past were due to third party plugs (I think at one point wasn’t one caused by Console 1?) and some were due to S1 plugs like Mai Tai. I just didn’t have the patience to figure it out in the 4.5 songs where it appeared when ISD could fix the issue so quickly.

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by garyshepherd on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:25 am
robertgray3 wrote
If it always happens in the same place then it’s much easier to figure out what’s causing it. It might not be an S1 issue! Some in the past were due to third party plugs (I think at one point wasn’t one caused by Console 1?) and some were due to S1 plugs like Mai Tai. I just didn’t have the patience to figure it out in the 4.5 songs where it appeared when ISD could fix the issue so quickly.

It seems to be okay at the moment in 4.6.1 - obviously watching this as I go on - but confidence in S1 shaken for a bit.

Gary Shepherd

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Mojave OS 10.14.6, 64 bit, Studio One 4 Professional 4.6 (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 4.2.3 Editor, Digital Performer 10.01, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 1.82, Bias FX 2 Elite 2.1.6, Superior Drummer 3.1.2, EZkeys 1.2.5, Alesis Q49, Audient iD14, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by chrismarshall2 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:50 am
Thanks for taking this up. In my case the common denominator may be songs created in previous versions. On the other hand 4.6 hasn't been out for that long so it might just be a probability thing.

I get exactly the same as you: a song with a mix of audio events, plus VSTi. Hit play and many (but not all) of those audio events will play only a very short (sub 100ms) burst and then stop. Most times if I hit play another couple times the program will produce that error message. S1 itself doesn't tend to CTD.

My system specs below. Aorus mb,It's unlikely to be the HDD as I use 3 different ones (2 mechanical and 1 SSD). It made no difference which one the song was located on.

I fixed it by saving the song to a new folder structure, without saving the audio. I then opened the new song and had it re-copy the audio pool. I think the OP also said he opened any one of the audio events in the editor and that also had the effect of salvaging the session.

I had this happen on two songs. But like an idiot, once I'd fixed them I deleted the old ones. Not only that, but I also refreshed my NAS backup drive so don't even have them there. I'll check my Backblaze as it's probably still within the time limit before they get culled from that too.

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6
by chrismarshall2 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm
Good news, and bad:

I restored a back-up of my song that was producing the error. That's the only good news though!

The BAD news:
4.6.1 still has the same issue - audio clips play for about 100ms then stop. Produces error message. It will do this every time without fail.

Sometimes if I just solo one of the audio clips it plays fine.

If I double click the clip to put it in the edit window there's no change. If I edit with Melodyne then it plays fine.

I think I'll put in a support ticket as well.

[EDIT: Support ticket filed.]
Last edited by chrismarshall2 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wood

by chrismarshall2 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:48 pm
robertgray3 wroteIf it always happens in the same place then it’s much easier to figure out what’s causing it. It might not be an S1 issue! Some in the past were due to third party plugs (I think at one point wasn’t one caused by Console 1?) and some were due to S1 plugs like Mai Tai. I just didn’t have the patience to figure it out in the 4.5 songs where it appeared when ISD could fix the issue so quickly.

I don't think it's a plug, or in fact any S1 service. I disabled every one of them until the only one left was the sound output. In my case about 50% of the audio clips are impacted in one song, and it doesn't matter where the playhead starts.

Given that at least one fix is to force S1 to recreate the file pointers, my money is on something corrupting in that area. It never happened to me pre-4.6 so something in that release (and 4.6.1) has been naughty!

Wood

by GMHague on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:42 pm
chrismarshall2 wrote
robertgray3 wroteIf it always happens in the same place then it’s much easier to figure out what’s causing it. It might not be an S1 issue! Some in the past were due to third party plugs (I think at one point wasn’t one caused by Console 1?) and some were due to S1 plugs like Mai Tai. I just didn’t have the patience to figure it out in the 4.5 songs where it appeared when ISD could fix the issue so quickly.

I don't think it's a plug, or in fact any S1 service. I disabled every one of them until the only one left was the sound output. In my case about 50% of the audio clips are impacted in one song, and it doesn't matter where the playhead starts.

Given that at least one fix is to force S1 to recreate the file pointers, my money is on something corrupting in that area. It never happened to me pre-4.6 so something in that release (and 4.6.1) has been naughty!

Thanks Chris, your posts came in overnight for me. Your problems are pretty much identical to mine. I need to do "something" to avoid my Support Ticket automatically lapsing after five days, so I'll be pushing to clone my HD over to the SSD tonight or tomorrow, establish whether or not the issue has been resolved (which seems unlikely) and tell Support to try again. I wonder if it's useful to quote each other's Support Ticket? To say, "Hey, it's not just me..."
I'll post mine when I'm not on the iPad.
by roland1 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 pm
Based on what I'm reading, I gather that I shouldn't be updating my main audio PC to 4.61 because there's a risk that I'll get corrupted files and/or audio dropouts if I playback anything that was created in an earlier version — pre 4.6.

Do I have that much correct?

I use: Studio One Pro v4.53 on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and Mac Pro Tower (Sierra) w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.

Author: Reality Checks for Everyday Life — Keeping it real in a world of illusions. I can also be found loitering at: http://RolandK.ca

Attention all shoppers: The people in commercials are paid actors pretending to like the product. It's easy to forget that fact with the music blaring and their happy smiles flashing.
by robertgray3 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:13 pm
roland1 wroteBased on what I'm reading, I gather that I shouldn't be updating my main audio PC to 4.61 because there's a risk that I'll get corrupted files and/or audio dropouts if I playback anything that was created in an earlier version — pre 4.6.

Do I have that much correct?

There's no corrupted files, and it's not any song. It happened with 2 of the more complicated ones out of the 10 current songs I was working on when I swapped. Part of me wanted to dive in and figure out why but as this was work I was doing for clients I simply used Import Song Data to quickly remedy the situation. Sounds like from other people's posts there were even quicker ways to circumvent the issue and keep moving.

Personally I filed it under "problems that will go away very quickly once all my new work is in 4.6".

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by GMHague on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:33 pm
[/quote]

There's no corrupted files, and it's not any song. It happened with 2 of the more complicated ones out of the 10 current songs I was working on when I swapped. Part of me wanted to dive in and figure out why but as this was work I was doing for clients I simply used Import Song Data to quickly remedy the situation. Sounds like from other people's posts there were even quicker ways to circumvent the issue and keep moving.

Personally I filed it under "problems that will go away very quickly once all my new work is in 4.6".[/quote]

I'm pretty much looking at the same thing. I should work my way through issues with pre-4.6 songs eventually. Except Im not sure my current WIP was started in 4.5. I did everything at the same time. I used the Christmas/New Year period to switch to Windows 10, and upgraded to 4.6, and begin the audiobook slated for January ...
Is there any way, or any metadata somewhere, that can confirm whether or not I started this Song in 4.5?

Thanks.
by robertgray3 on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:53 pm
That’s a good point, I haven’t started many complex projects in 4.6 yet so I guess I haven’t done enough sheer work to know. I believe you can open the song file in an XML editor?

Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2

28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2