9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Forgive me if this is in the manual or in a tutorial (if so, maybe you can just point me to where) but this program is *deep* and will take me a while to wrap my head around.

Let's say I have a track composed entirely of chords - is there a way to separate out each part of each chord into its own track? Specifically, I'd like to assign different instruments to the chords so that, for example, the root note goes to a bass, the third (assuming it's a traditional chord) goes to a viola, and the fifth goes to a violin. Or some such. Is there any way to do this automagically?
by Nip on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm
Look for - explode to tracks.
That makes different pitches get their own track.

But I do that - another way - for brass sections etc. So right hand chord become trumpet+trombone and left hand saxophone etc.

I use midi plugins to split chord to different midi channels.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=37355&p=219221&hilit=piz+midi#p219221

Then you get it live as well while playing.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by patrickbushaw on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:07 pm
OOps - little slow, but somewhat like above

Hope this fits with your intent.
Couple ways...
1. Before assigning voices to parsed notes
In the arranger window select the event, right click and
Instrument Parts > Explode Pitches to Tracks.
(Chord voicing will segment destination track content, e.g., all C3's will be in same track)

2. More control within the event editor - repeat for depth of chord struct
>Loop start
Macro Action > Select Notes > Select highest notes
(can take selection - or all but selection)
control + x to cut
select destination in editor
control + v to paste
Loop end >
by mikekelley1 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:27 am
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Unfortunately, neither of those approaches seems to work for me. They will work within a chord, but not the whole song. So I'd have to end up doing it for each and every chord, splitting to each separate track until I'd have hundreds of tracks.

I was hoping there was a way to do this for the entire song -- so like "select the highest notes for the entire song and cut to another track, rinse and repeat three or four times". It's a bit weird for me the way Studio One treats a chord track with each chord being a separate section. Surely there are times you want to edit the entire track but not be constrained?
by patrickbushaw on Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:46 am
The second method (both - I think) works on selection.
So (for editor type) zoom out to entire track, drag select all (control + a), then execute macro, copy and paste.

Sorry about the size of this video S1/OBS/me seem to have a problem :twisted:

Selection not actually needed as first portion shows, but then I do it as well.
Forum seems to not play the video inline, doing a conversion to try make easier than download...

Then the conversions are too large to post. Pic of final position may illustrate what I suggest... :twisted: :roll:

2020-01-03_S1_ChordSplitting.png

Zip of vid to show actual execution - grrr - done! :lol:
2020-01-03 S1_ChordSplitting.zip
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 166 times
by Tacman7 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 am
I like to edit midi with the macro toolbar. The mute button is handy as is the +12 and -12 buttons.

I work on 8 bars at a time. Drag select notes and mute or copy or cut. Sometimes easier to copy a part into several locations then mute the parts you don't want on each of them.

Have you done what it is you want manually by hand?

Lot of times something you want seems like it would work but you don't know until you do it. Then you go, "eh" and try something else. If there were some editing procedure that was so great that everyone wanted to do it then someone would implement it. Cubase can really do a lot with midi and the logical editor and presets.
S1 doesn't seem to be heading in the that direction.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by mikekelley1 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:43 pm
Thanks, guys -- some of this does seem to be working for me but I clearly need to be a lot more comfortable with the editor before I can tell what is best. I truly appreciate all the replies.
by JohnBW on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:02 pm
Maybe an different approach to the problem would be easier, assuming S1 doesn't have the ability to do as you ask.

For example, what about composing with just the root note, instead of the chord. Then duplicate that track twice (if you want a triad), and shift each duplicate track up or down by a 3rd or 5th, respectively?

That would result in 3 tracks, that each could be routed to the chosen instruments.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by brandonbuxton on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:01 pm
Hey bro you can do this by selecting transfer notes you have to go in the edit view though. Click on the track list which is the 5 horizontal bars and highlights the ones you want or all for workflow. Then you can highlight any notes u want and right click an option will pop up towards the top of the note actions called transfer notes.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1