35 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Win 10 x64 ; Studio One Pro 4; Presonus Audiobox 96 interface
by Trucky on Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 am
What does your Performance Monitor show when you hear these?

Also, do you experience this when you record a new song?

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by swampthing on Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:47 pm
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by swampthing on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:40 pm
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:05 pm
Yes, if you hear the crackles, they will enter into the recording. Things can change up all the time, so don't think it's due to some Windows update, or your maintaining a consistent setup.

Let's target the high CPU for now. You'll also want to try Truckys advice on trying with a new song, and good practices/optimization link.

OK, click the CPU meter along bottom transport bar. Check the open all plugins box. Then select at the CPU so it prioritizes highest to lowest cpu percentage for each plugin item. Go over that a little to gain an understanding of what plugins are causing the most drain. Particularly the 7% or higher plugins will be the culprits, but for now understand them, and deselect the few you can potentially do without for the next recording you want to make, that should eliminate some or all of the problem.

2nd, go to your audio interface and set its buffer to where you can record with a minimum of latency, but not so much that you get those crackles back. It's a bit of a learning curve, but in short, you'll be optimizing those immediate things. As you start new songs, gain an understanding of what plugins or instruments are a bit more weighty than others.

3rd, (probably should be first with priority) turn your internet, and/or Bluetooth off of your computer. That should greatly eliminate audio dropouts, and free up some resources.

Swampthing wrote: Does anyone know why pops and clicks happen all of a sudden in playback, and what I might try to fix it?

You haven't shown us your full equipment. Processor type, and drive type(s) might explain a lot. My guess is your computer may be just a bit on the fence as far as optimization goes (mine is, as it's now an 8 year old laptop, i7 Intel, with only one 1 Tbyte HDD 7200 rpm hard drive). However, it's been downright wonderful with a little foresight on watching buffers, thankfully a Presonus Audiobox VSL (very little latency), a lil' love such as backing up, and staying lean have kept my setup still in date for recording and production purposes. I can get 25 to 40 Stereo channels/tracks with little need to have to render audio, until of course it's just time to do so. Waves SSL, Schepps Omni, and other plugs on every channel.

Add those few additional specs because we could be missing some part that would get you the best answer. As for now, it seems to be pay attention to what the individual plugins are, and define your buffer settings to immediate requirements.
Happy New Year :)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by PreAl on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:49 pm
Latencymon.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by swampthing on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:59 pm
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:10 am
So I downloaded that supposed cleaning thing, and now it's deleted 95% (400 files are missing!!!!!) of my tracks in the song. Wonderful. So it's gone from bad to most my tracks deleted. Apparently my tracks were recognised as stuff taking space that needed to be deleted. Probably it never does this to anyone else, but somehow it did it to me.

EDIT: I have had to do a whole system restore to get the missing files back, so I'm not downloading anything again. The pops and clicks are still there. My processor is 64x build. Anyone else have an idea of what to try? I have cleaned up the computer as much as I could, followed every step. Nothing's changed. Surely someone's had this happened to them before? As mentioned before, this has never happened before, so it's not like suddenly I have no space or anything. I hesitate to open a ticket because I usually have to wait for a week or more for a single reply, and I just don't have the time to waste (and no, can't call support. Not located in the USA, and have no millions to spare for calling overseas).
Last edited by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Nip on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:44 am
Sounds horrible.
This cleaning thing didn't happen to put things in recycle bin?
A chance to have second thoughts or something.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Nip on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:20 am
I had a similar thing with Waves Element loaded once(just a few months ago).

If transport ran I got these cracks every couple of seconds. Midi to synth could even be muted so it did something strange. But in my case I saw nothing out of the ordinary in performance meter at all.

It was just a test project for some purpose, so I just removed one thing at a time until it stopped and narrowed down to that synth. I had other external synths monitored so was part of audio stream - and if transport ran I got this, even with Element muted.

Quickest way to do this is do save as - and removed half of synths - and see if it goes away.
- if no, the do a new save as and remove half again
- if yes, load saved and remove other half and continue save as on that.

and so on. This halfing principle is fastest way.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:39 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Nip on Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:57 am
I didn't explain that well, it was just a way to narrow down problem synth, if that is the case - not for permanent change of song.

Just a stepping stone to get closer to a solution.

It may not be synths fault dispite this - it could be the way StudioOne handle it. I mean Waves element not even sounding for me - and create something like crackles in audio stream. Something in the core handling is my suspicion. They did some "optmization" earlier last year regarding synths - and synths does not always have the same workings internally.

Some settings, like Reaper has, to turn off/on certain handling maybe. One way of optimizing cores does not fit all synths.

Windows automatic handling of spreading threads over cores works pretty well. If to do own handling I think ability to turn that off if not working for everybody and all synths would be good. Maybe there is a parameter in preferences file somewhere to do that.

But again, my issue might not be related to yours - having performance maxed out. I will test my project later again and see what I find now with 4.6.

by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:10 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Lokeyfly on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:11 am
swampthing wroteSo I downloaded that supposed cleaning thing, and now it's deleted 95% (400 files are missing!!!!!) of my tracks in the song. Wonderful. So it's gone from bad to most my tracks deleted. Apparently my tracks were recognised as stuff taking space that needed to be deleted. Probably it never does this to anyone else, but somehow it did it to me.

I can't speak on the "Cleaning thing", and frankly, I would avoid turning your system upside down to fix a high CPU issue, so whatever that entailed is not where I'll be assisting.

swampthing wroteThank you both, I'll try what you said tomorrow. However I still don't understand how I've never had any of these problems before...

Forget the don't understand why it hasn't happened before. It's happened now. Something caused that. Your other check should be to view your Task manager for high percentage CPU/memory programs running in the background that could very well increase CPU/core distribution, etc. Along with seeing if you recently installed any software (even driver software) where the source may have included other trial, or Malware programs you didn't notice which could be running in the background. Those add on programs are unfortunate, but I'm only suggesting there are other circumstances involved if we're being realistic about differences, and troubleshooting properly.

swampthing wrote: I can try to use fewer multi-instruments on new songs, but I don't want to delete tracks I've worked hard on just because they use too much CPU.

Sorry if I missed that part. It doesn't appear to have been suggested in this thread to permanently use fewer multi instruments, or delete tracks. That's perposterous. Hey my friend, I understand completely when something isn't right, especially when trying to work on what matters to us, that it's frustrating if something isn't working in optimum fashion, or as you say, changes. We all experience it. Going forward. I hope you're not deleting tracks, multi instruments, and instead are reviewing where the CPU drain is coming from. That is going to be on your end, and there's enough information so far, imo to get your CPU down. Not by deleting anything, but looking at contributing factors.

I also don't see the rest of your equipment specs that might help us assist further.
All the best.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by klypeman on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 am
@Lokeyfly
Swampthing seems to have solved his/her problem.

It would be nice next time to know the specs.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:37 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:39 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

by klypeman on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:53 am
I saw your specs in your sig just now, thanks 🙏 way to go !!

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

35 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2