35 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
swampthing wroteThanks for your input, Nip! Anything is worth a try. You won't believe this; the clicks and pops have disappeared! Perhaps this doesn't work for everyone, but this is what seemed to have worked for me: I did some tinkering in the Control Panel, and chose a 'high performance' plan over 'balanced'. As soon as I'd done that, the clicks and pops were gone. It's back to normal now. I don't understand computers and their whims, but I like one click seems to solve it all. This is my theory: I believe I'd had it set on 'high performance' plan before, but for some reason it reverted back to default--balanced. Now that I've changed that back to 'high performance', all problems seem to have disappeared.I hope permanently. I went through the troublesome multi-instrument sections now and they sound wonderful again, so for lack of a better explanation, the energy plan seems to have done the trick for me!

Thanks for sharing.
There is also a pro audio setup in windows that makes a difference.
But that is probably part of high performance plan as you discovered.

When I ran Cubase there was this Steinberg scheme, and looking into that what settings were part of it - I saw that same as my high performance plan.

It raises priority of audio threads and such. It's all in registry as well.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by swampthing on Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:58 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Win 10 x64 ; Studio One Pro 4; Presonus Audiobox 96 interface
by briansteel1 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:04 pm
Trucky wroteWhat does your Performance Monitor show when you hear these?

Also, do you experience this when you record a new song?

I experienced the crackling noise you hear ( when you know you need to adjust your buffering) for the first time in Presonus Studio One when I had a template with multiple busses with vst loaded on each bus. I had some vst that are notorious for being cpu guzzlers. I noticed that when I turned off the inserts on the busses that the popping clicks etc went away, so I knew it was the vst that was doing it.

So, I clicked on the performance meter and got the pop up. Now, you see where it says minimum.
Increase that all the way up to maximum incrementally and play your song. Keep doing it until the pops & clicks stop. You don't need to adjust anything else.

Here is the problem. When you go to do a new song with a midi instrument and try to add an audio track to record the performance, you may find that the audio track won't engage into record mode. So, you have to go back to performance monitor and lower the setting back to mininum. And behold, you can click the record button on your audio track and it works again. This is a glitch in the design of this daw as it doesn't automatically respond to cpu drain. If I hadn't remembered that I had changed the performance monitor setting on the last project, I would be beating my head against the wall which is not a good thing to do when you are trying to record a project. Hope this helped out.
by swampthing on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:22 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Win 10 x64 ; Studio One Pro 4; Presonus Audiobox 96 interface
by Bbd on Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am
Looks like this case is closed. Thanks for posting the fix.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by michaelshirley1 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:12 pm
When mine starts clicking and popping it's time for a software update... 9/10 times anyway. Goes away after the update. (May have to manually update it).
by ojaixezomo on Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:44 pm
I have regular clicks and crackle noise too when I record and it frustrated me for months. After trying just about everything I realized that the noise stopped when certain plugins were deactivated during recording. Plugins with high latency, Izotope nectar plus in particular. Now I only use plugins without latency issues until I've done all my audio recordings. I don't usually need my audio interface for mixing so there's no problem when I use any plugin at this stage. You can use the performance page to figure out which plugins may be creating similar problems for you.
by albertklassen on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:17 pm
swampthing wroteHi,

I recorded a few tracks a few months ago. Watched for clipping and everything. Everything recorded well and played back well. I put some nice effects in, it sounded like I wanted it to(for a rough demo).I returned to work tonight to try and finish the track with some amateurish mixing, but I noticed on playback, there are suddenly clicking/popping noises through the track. I use speakers, and I know the clicks and pops were not recorded--I am stickler for clipping and latency, so I made sure all was recorded properly. When I last listened to playback, all was fine. Now it isn't. Clicks and pops everywhere. I Googled it, and found advice on latency and that I should choose a higher block size. I chose the highest, no difference. I read I should try moving the cable, so I did. No difference (cable works fine). I've no idea why this problem popped up out of nowhere. Setup is the same, gain staging is fine (main channel at 0db;the others -3db or lower). Does anyone have an idea why this is suddenly happening? Again, all was recorded well, all played back well before. I've never had this problem before. I'm always paranoid it's some Windows update that's messed it all up, but I really don't now much about computer software, so paranoia is all this is. That's why I need advice from someone who knows more than I do about this.

Does anyone know why pops and clicks happen all of a sudden in playback, and what I might try to fix it? (Have only tried one track, will see if others have the same problem)

EDIT: Yes, clicks and pops on all tracks that were never there before. No settings changed.

Having exactly the same issue. Looking for answers
by robertgray3 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:37 pm
If you’re on windows, the most common reason I see for that is the power plan settings changing in the operating system after updates.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by PreAl on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:19 pm
^ Tons of reasons for Windows.
Yes power plan settings.
Try disabling turbo boost in your bios.
Try disabling speed step and maybe even (sometimes) hyperthreading.
Update your bios and chipset drivers.
Try uninstalling and then installing your audio interface drivers (not just reinstall).
Get your antivirus to ignore studio one folders and processes
Go into device manager and turn off power management for all your devices devices.
Disable unnecessary sound drivers in device manager.
Don't use ASIO4All
Reduce your startup applications and turn off windows services that aren't vital.

And latencymon is your friend. Download it and use it. I wrote the this earlier...anybody listening?

And please update your signatures with your specs.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Baphometrix on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:49 am
By far the most common cause (and solution) is your power plan, which by default is set to "Balanced" on all Windows systems. For DAW work, you must change it to "High Performance". This prevents Windows from putting cores to sleep and waking them up constantly, which is a major cause for audio glitches in DAWs and all audio software.

Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings.

Then make sure you are using "High Performance" for your power plan.

Studio One 5.2.x Pro (Sphere) | Bitwig 4.x | Ableton 10.x
Faderport 8 | ATOM SQ | MOTU M4 | Windows 10 | i9 9900K | 64 GB RAM | Geforce RTX 2070
by tamaserdosi on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:34 pm
Dear All,

I have read this thread recently when I had clicks and pops in Studio One 5 Artist. I believe I could solve it extremely simply.
Background:
- I have an iCore 5 PC dedicated to DAW only. Sometimes surfing on the net but quite rare occasions.
- I use a Steinberg sound module with very low latency values (64 samples, about 3-6 millisends effective latency)
- I mostly record guitar / bass tracks recorded and played with guitar amp sim plugins (IK Multimedia, Scuffham etc...)
and have Steven Slate 5.5 drums plugin for the drums
- I have about 80 other FX plugins from IK MUltimedia and such companies
- my typical song is about 1 drum track (SSD5.5) and 5-10 guitar tracks (all heavily effected, so CPU demanding)
- I use(d) Cakewalk by Bandlab and had about 2-3 times when clicks and pops happened
- all cases were related to a huge Windows Update in the background

So it is a pretty stabilized DAW configuration, I think.

Now I recently purchased Studio One 5 Artist and had clicks and pops quite often. All settings are similar to the CbB setup with one exception. More about this later...

I was using Studion One 5 and was in a mixing workflow of a song (SSD5.5 drum tracks and 5 real audio recorded guitar tracks). I was setting the track volumes, balances, and FX settings during the mixing process both for the individual drum tracks and the guitar tracks. Interestingly in some cases had no C&P, other playbacks cases I had a lot. Typically when the drum patterns changed from verse to chorus or fills.
When I was totally fed up with the amount of C&P heard, I increased the number of samples in the audio settings up to 256 samples (of course, the latency increased a lot) but could not eliminate the C&P issue. Finally reading this thread (and some others), I checked the plugins in the performance monitor and saw that the SSD5.5 caused the problem with CPU load varying between 14% up to 85% or higher. As I checked the settings and performance, did some playbacks again and again, with some tweaking on the mix of the song. C&P happened and not happened randomly.
Finally got the revelation: I have found that the C&P only happened when I selected the SSD5.5 drum track. The reason was that my Studio One 5 was set so that when I click on a track, it becomes active monitored for input and selected for recording automatically. I loved this function and found very helpful for my audio tracks. But as the mixing work required to click on the SSD5.5 tracks (snare, hihat etc...) quite often to set up FX and balance etc... the drum tracks were automatically set to active monitoring, too. I had an idea and disabled this function. and since that time all C&P eliminated with the lowest possible latency value (like used to be). I believe that the SSD5.5 demanded too much CPU to be able to record and to be active monitored for the input signal. Since I manually select an (audio) track monitored and set to recording, I never have the C&P.

So the problem is with the SSD5.5 being set to input monitored. Probably other software instruments could cause same issue (not yet tried). I do not blame the SSD5.5 - it is simply a fact that when this software instrument is actively input monitored, it does require high CPU performance on my system. Much higher than necessary.

Solution is to avoid setting active input monitoring on a software instrument track. At least for the SSD5.5.

Justification: the CbB has no such feature (auto select of a track) and also I NEVER set my drum track for input monitoring as it is only required for the audio tracks. And there is no C&P in the CbB.

Best Regards,

Tamas
by isaacleath on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:37 pm
swampthing wroteThanks for your input, Nip! Anything is worth a try. You won't believe this; the clicks and pops have disappeared! Perhaps this doesn't work for everyone, but this is what seemed to have worked for me: I did some tinkering in the Control Panel, and chose a 'high performance' plan over 'balanced'. As soon as I'd done that, the clicks and pops were gone. It's back to normal now. I don't understand computers and their whims, but I like one click seems to solve it all. This is my theory: I believe I'd had it set on 'high performance' plan before, but for some reason it reverted back to default--balanced. Now that I've changed that back to 'high performance', all problems seem to have disappeared.I hope permanently. I went through the troublesome multi-instrument sections now and they sound wonderful again, so for lack of a better explanation, the energy plan seems to have done the trick for me!

Thanks so much for you posting this! I was having the same problems on a brand new install of win 10. I have nothing else installed except S1 and some plugins, and was getting those cracks and pops on minimal virtual instruments loaded up. In "balanced mode" it was throttling my cpu core speed down to like 1.5 ghz and could not ramp up the speed quick enough to keep up with my plugins. I was monitoring task manager and my speed would ramp up in the 2 ghz range but never hit 3. Changing to high performance, it keeps my core speed up near 3.3 at all times which is full speed for my chip.
by danielperez40 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:29 pm
Hi all...had this annoying problem that it seems there are lots of us here who have this issue. I have a Dell Computer Windows 1-Pro 64....went to Dell and installed their product support....this searched my computer and said it need 3 updated drivers...INCLUDING BIOS update...after I installed it MY PROBLEM IS NOW FIXED!!!! It tool a total of 5 minutes to fix!!!!!

From reading here is seems that if you are running Windows 10 with Presonus 24c (which is what I have) these pops and clicks will persist and ruin your day!

Bottom line: Update your drivers and if a Dell...also your Bios (this should be done automatically) and that should do it. I should point out that I had the unit (24c) for one year without any problems and then all of a sudden it started acting up....I am glad that I went and updated my drivers because I was ready to ditch the 24C and buy a different interface.

Wish you all luck!
by rogerfrancomb on Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:57 am

35 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2