59 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
mikemanthei wroteShoot.... just stick with Win7. Microsoft has finally stopped mucking it up and will leave it alone. It's about the perfect time to *start* using it. Microsoft thinks that we should be scared that it's not going to be updated...but it's actually the best news. No more updates=stability. Who cares if they don't "support" it..., their "support" is what created the last 4 botched Win-10 updates.... Who needs that? If it wasn't for the pitiful touch-screen functions in 7, I would run it until the wheels fell off.
The downside of this is... they'll stop activating your legal W7 licenses soon... so there's that. 😑

I fully agree with this. I recently did the 'in-place upgrade' thing from Win 8.1 pro to Win 10 pro (the licence was upgraded FOC FYI). Then I used Belarc Advisor to expose the embedded Win 10 license key to do a clean Win 10 install.
A few days later, I rolled the whole shebang back to Win 8.1. The fact that you can't actually properly stop CompatTelRunner (telemetry spyware, which is massive CPU hog) from actually running at all is a total PITA. Neither can one uninstall, or * properly * disable the other resource hog called Cortana.

I'll stick with Win 8.1 until extended support is about to run out and / or until I build myself a new machine. It's nice and stable and fully controllable.

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by j0001s on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:02 am
mikemanthei wrote
j0001s wroteIf it wasn't for the Windows 7 end of support, I'd stick with what I have.

Shoot.... just stick with Win7. Microsoft has finally stopped mucking it up and will leave it alone. It's about the perfect time to *start* using it.😑

If it didn't have to be hooked up on the internet, I would agree. This machine has my 43" 4K TV/monitor on it, and there is certain non-music work that I do that it really, really helps to have the real estate. It's ALL SaaS stuff - the internet isn't optional.

Anyways, now that I've committed to the new, I'll worry about getting that path fully operational.
by mikemanthei on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:43 pm
Re "The fact that you can't actually properly stop CompatTelRunner (telemetry spyware, which is massive CPU hog) from actually running at all is a total PITA"

Yeah that's a sore subject for sure. I've been thinking about ways to use Processor Affinity to lock those Windows services into using a single-core.... and leave the other twenty-three cores to me. Not much progress there but thankfully there's enough horsepower in these new processors that the things we used to call CPU hogs are kind of a non-issue. Like mix effects in Studio One. Or multiple tape emulations :-)

I keep my audio computer off the internet. It can talk freely to all other computers in my local network ( most importantly the NAS) . And the NAS syncs up with all of the cloud storage, so I keep the convenience of access to cloud storage without actually being on the internet.

The only thing I'm missing is email on the studio computer. But I just have a second computer in the control room for that. It's my sacrificial Pawn on the front line. :-) it's a good balance between communication with clients and a true air gap firewall.
If I need to download a new driver off the internet, I use my secondary computer. The download folder is one of the network shares so once I start the download, I just go back to work on the main computer and when the download is finished it shows up everywhere .

Plus, all the email comes through my phone as well so I'm still connected.

There is a way to build my own email server using the NAS too... and that might solve it. I don't know... I haven't had time to play with that yet. There are bigger fish to fry

Oh well. I tend to avoid worrying too much about things I cannot change. I'm mostly excited about the testing we're doing. I'm also doing some testing with really large sample libraries through the kontakt player. And I may have found a limit with that....

I'm using a sample library of a piano that takes up 1.7 GB of RAM when I load all the options. I tried to see how many of those I could run :-) you know, because I could!
Long before I run out of CPU or memory, the Kontakt player crashes violently and takes Studio One down with it.
At this point I only have a theory... since each instance of Kontakt is playing back somewhere between 300 and 400 samples at a time, and it crashes at 39 instances, there might be some limit at around 15,000 simultaneous samples. But that should be enough for anybody, right? :D

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 pm
Today I did my "almost ready for Prime-time" test. I did some work on a "real" song. I wanted to do some guitar overdubs on a song that was already kinda big for my old computer. Direct hardware monitoring wasn't an option, as I wanted to track using a virtual guitar amp (and hadn't tried the new Ampire yet) so I needed to monitor it through the software.

I loaded it up on the new new machine... shut off all the LLM stuff, set my buffer size to 16 samples (Wha? NO! Not the RED button!)... and just went to work. The computer showed 4% processor utilization and just worked like... well, like we always hoped a computer would. And since it was using so little juice, it stayed quiet. The loudest thing in the room is my breathing.

Yup, I'll be busy tonight moving this into production. I think she's ready.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Morticia on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:47 am
mikemanthei wroteRe "The fact that you can't actually properly stop CompatTelRunner (telemetry spyware, which is massive CPU hog) from actually running at all is a total PITA"

Yeah that's a sore subject for sure. I've been thinking about ways to use Processor Affinity to lock those Windows services into using a single-core.... and leave the other twenty-three cores to me. Not much progress there ...

That won't work in the case of this piece of MS doggy doo.
CompatTelRunner actually crawls your system disk scanning files.
High CPU usage doesn't always equate directly to the CPU being hit - In this case it's a symptom of your disk device being hammered.
Definitely what you don't need in a DAW.

I haven't tried this myself, but it might be worth a look ...

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/fpinto ... indows-10/

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

Gram Parsons
by leosutherland on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:55 am

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Morticia on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:02 am
leosutherland wroteFor your interest:

https://windowsreport.com/compattelrunner-exe-file-issues/

Thanks Leo, I did all of those things.
However, in my case it still didn't wholly prevent it from running.
I even blacklisted the exe in in Private Firewall (which usually prevents exes from executing full stop) but the damn thing still popped out of the woodwork occasionally.
It's not an issue for me now, as I rolled back to Win 8.1 where it doesn't run at all unless I wish it to.

Gram Parsons
by mikemanthei on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:59 pm
That's an interesting bunch of tools. I've recently stumbled across a nice little tool called Windows privacy dashboard or WPD and have been trying it out. I like the user interface but like other solutions it doesn't appear to be permanent. There is no set it and forget it fix . However it is more complete than many of the other things I've tried.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:13 pm
In this case it's a symptom of your disk device being hammered.

Ineresting...Not for me. I don't know how I got lucky with that , but it might be a combination of a couple of privacy settings that I set, and the fact that I'm not on the internet. Maybe it's discovered that if it can't phone home, there's no reason to collect any more data? :-) it's probably still trying to report the first batch of data that it collected!

I did upgrade to 1909 from a four year old install of Windows (build 1511 IIRC) that was also was not on the internet and never updated. I don't know, but I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth. if I discover the trick I certainly won't keep it a secret. I did notice that a common issue with most fixes is that it resets every time Windows does an update. Well the simple answer for that is to stop Windows from updating. Keep it off the internet! :-) and if you must be on the internet at least use Windows update blocker.(WUB)

Or it could be the fact that I'm on a PCIe 4.0 hard drive, which is consistently 10 times faster than my best SSD ... and I'm having trouble finding a load that shows any utilization at all :-)

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:45 pm
Looks like I bought my processor 1 month too early. The AMD 16 / 32 core is now available at Amazon for the normal retail price. Anybody want to buy a slightly used 3900X?

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Morticia on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:09 pm
mikemanthei wrote ... but like other solutions it doesn't appear to be permanent. There is no set it and forget it fix ...

Absolutely this. Along comes a Win 10 update and you are back to square one again.
The Group Policy Editor in Win 10 Pro seems either to have no effect at all or gets reset at the next boot depending on what you are trying to set.

Gram Parsons
by WaterlooSunset on Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:36 pm
Interesting approach Morticia. Get the new key and then bail :-)
Never used Belarc but heard of it. I just upgraded to Win 10 last week from 8.1 I didn't do the in place upgrade, i used the 10 media builder and then installed in on a new SSD. It took my old Win 8 key and all was good (free indeed). I have not rolled back yet. Presonus, Waves, so many bailing on anything not 10. Bought S1 in originally in 2009. 5 years on XP and 5 years on 8.1. Now 10 begins..... I may be sorry.....

Micro$oft sold their soul to the devil and i guess the cost was taking ours along with them for the one hefty payment to the guy with horns.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by mikemanthei on Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:39 pm
Morticia wroteAbsolutely this. Along comes a Win 10 update and you are back to square one again.

Windows Update Blocker solved that for me. It successfully blocked all updates for about 3 years...and I'll continue to use it with this version.
Wub.png
Wub.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
Simple interface with only 2 options. You'll like it.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by williamgagnon on Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:45 pm
mikemanthei wroteThe 3950x seems to be un-obtanium... :) If you can even find it, retailers are gouging the market... and it might continue for a while. It didn't look like I was ever going to get one, so I grabbed the 3900x instead.

I just finished doing some preliminary testing. I loaded the largest session I had, and replicated all the virtual instruments a few times so that it had something to do.

A couple things surprised me right away. Studio One only seems to be using the first 12 (logical) processors. The second 12 are "parked". Maybe that's the limit? Or maybe I didn't find the secret switch to release those to Studio One? I dunno. More testing is on the way. But at this point, it looks like the 16 core 32 thread CPU might be way overkill for S1... at least until they can use more than 12.

2nd... When I got a nice large session running with a few hungry VI's, Studio One was telling me that processor utilization was just under 50%. (hovering around 48%). However, when I went out to Windows, it said I was only at 3%. That seems to be a very large discrepancy.
I realize that each entity might be doing the math a bit differently, but it would appear that I'm going to get snaps-pops-crackles before my processor reaches 6%...and that's leaving a whole lot of horsepower on the table.

Outside of Studio One... yeah. This thing is a monster as expected. I got a cheap video card but still I can play any game at Ultra settings and still get silly FPS results. And video editing uses all 24 cores and is just a breeze. No more building proxy files, just load 'em and go. :)

I just finished a new build, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core, 64 gigs DDR4 3200 ram, 2 1tb NVME drives, water cooled etc. I use Studio One Pro 4.6, Quantum interface with DP88 so running 16 inputs at 96Khz. I was wondering the same thing. Is the AMD even compatible with Quantum as it seems to only use one or 2 cores and with some synths it stresses the processor. Does anyone have an answer to this and if Presonus is working on this at all?
by williamgagnon on Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 pm
mikemanthei wroteThe 3950x seems to be un-obtanium... :) If you can even find it, retailers are gouging the market... and it might continue for a while. It didn't look like I was ever going to get one, so I grabbed the 3900x instead.

I just finished doing some preliminary testing. I loaded the largest session I had, and replicated all the virtual instruments a few times so that it had something to do.

A couple things surprised me right away. Studio One only seems to be using the first 12 (logical) processors. The second 12 are "parked". Maybe that's the limit? Or maybe I didn't find the secret switch to release those to Studio One? I dunno. More testing is on the way. But at this point, it looks like the 16 core 32 thread CPU might be way overkill for S1... at least until they can use more than 12.

2nd... When I got a nice large session running with a few hungry VI's, Studio One was telling me that processor utilization was just under 50%. (hovering around 48%). However, when I went out to Windows, it said I was only at 3%. That seems to be a very large discrepancy.
I realize that each entity might be doing the math a bit differently, but it would appear that I'm going to get snaps-pops-crackles before my processor reaches 6%...and that's leaving a whole lot of horsepower on the table.

Outside of Studio One... yeah. This thing is a monster as expected. I got a cheap video card but still I can play any game at Ultra settings and still get silly FPS results. And video editing uses all 24 cores and is just a breeze. No more building proxy files, just load 'em and go. :)

I just finished my new build. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16 core, 64 gigs DDR4 3200 ram, 2 NVME 1tb M2 drives, water cooled etc. I use Studio One Pro 4.6 and the Quantum interface connected to a DP 88 so I am running 16 inputs at 96kHz. Have it set to background services as priority. Still seems to struggle with poly synths, even at 48 kHz. Not all the synths cause redlining of the cpu but was wonder what needs to be done so that the cores don't fall asleep and it there is nothing that can be done if you overload 1 track.
by niles on Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:11 am
@williamgagnon Make sure you use the High Performance (min./max. CPU = 100%) powerplan of Windows and use the Minimum Dropout protection setting in Studio One for the best performance out of the box.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by mikemanthei on Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:09 am
williamgagnon wroteHave it set to background services as priority. Still seems to struggle with poly synths, even at 48 kHz. Not all the synths cause redlining of the cpu but was wonder what needs to be done so that the cores don't fall asleep and it there is nothing that can be done if you overload 1 track.

William, you're quoting me from a post that I corrected less than 24 hours later. My problems were caused by having a bunch of plugins that did not have licensing resolved and that was causing issues. Once I resolved that the computer happily used all 24 cores.

I tried the little trick of setting background Services as priority but I didn't see any Improvement. So I just put mine back to normal.

The cores only sleep when there's nothing for them to do. You don't have to worry about which one is sleeping in which one isn't. This is not something you can tweak from a user perspective. Other than the obvious using multiple channels and letting the mixer does what it does best. Mix.

How many synths are you running on a single Channel? I guess I'm a little confused about why anybody would want to do that. If you put each synthesizer on its own channel you get a separate volume control for each one and that makes more sense from a mixing perspective. Not only that, but it spreads out the load across the processors better.

So obviously I don't know which synths you're using... and I most likely don't have them. but let's try something that we both have in common. How many instances of Mai Thai can you run before you run into issues?

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by jaygenlovesyou on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:04 pm
Hi everyone!

I am new here but I have been using 1818vsl since 2012. I am planning to buy a ASUS TUF with Ryzen 9 processor laptop. My concern is that will it work the same way with intel processors? I hope I won't have a problem with studio one artist 4 and my 1818vsl. I currently still use an i7 ivy bridge laptop and it works fine with 1818vsl and Studio one artist 4.

Thanks!
by mikemanthei on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:11 pm
I think so Jay...
There are a few users posting here that built HEDT Intel based machines and don't have any issues with Studio One. And I have a StudioLive 32s on my main computer and the old Presonus 1818VSL on a secondary machine, and they still work fine with Windows 10 and S1-4...so there doesn't seem to be any functional difference if you build Intel or AMD.

It could be that the people having problems just aren't reporting them... but honestly, that doesn't seem like the way we do things 'round here, ya know? . :)

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S

59 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3