13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello!

I'm a fairly new S1 user coming from Pro Tools.

In Pro Tools I would convert my drum tracks to MIDI and put Trigger on an instrument track. Trigger is capable to read the MIDI information and fire off the samples accordingly. I loved to work this way, because the MIDI information is easy to see and edit and I always could freeze my instrument track to see the audio waveforms as well. All conveniently on one single track.

Sadly it seems that this is not possible in S1, because for some reason Trigger can't be used as a software instrument. When I try to pull Trigger from the effects browser to an instrument track, S1 creates a new audio track instead. This happens with both the VST and AU version of Trigger. Why is that? Trigger has a MIDI input, so should I not be able to use it as an instrument?

Greetings from Bavaria

Chris
by Jemusic on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 pm
Trigger looks great and I would start by maybe investigating getting it to work correctly in Studio One. But if you cannot then there are a few things you can do inside Studio One currently.

Couple of questions here. Firstly when you talk about drum tracks are you meaning whole grooves eg in an audio loop for example that contain everything eg Kick, snare hats etc. Or do you mean individual drum tracks eg multi track drums where all the kit parts are on their own track.

If all the drums parts are in one audio file, there are a few things you can do. Melodyne Essentials which is included free with Studio One could detect all the transients within that loop. (Percussive Algorithm) You can then drag that down to an Instrument track, but you would have move the various notes around onto their correct note numbers in order to trigger samples either in Presence XT, Sample One XT or Impact XT.

You also don't need Melodyne to do this. What you can do is to open the Quantize panel, switch it to Groove, drag a loop into the Groove panel and it will detect all the transients (groove and all). Then you can drag that down to an Instrument track also. But you would also need to move the right notes onto their values for triggering the right sounds.

If you have got the drums all on their own tracks then this is much better and easier. You would just drag the drum tracks one at a time up into the Groove extractor and then down onto an Instrument track. Reset the notes to the right value for triggering the right sounds. So if you had say 8 audio drum tracks you would end up with 8 Instrument tracks with midi notes in them ready to trigger samples.

Good thing about the groove extractor mode (and Melodyne as well) is that subtle timing of the audio note transients would also be detected and preserved. Once you have got all your midi parts done you can then use them to either replace existing drum sounds or layer new samples under the original audio.

This all can be done in Studio One all be it a bit harder and more fiddly (and more than likely time consuming) whereas Trigger probably does it all in one go.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by christianschmid1 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:58 am
Hi and thanks for your reply! All my drums are on separate tracks, but I already figured out how to generate and correct the MIDI files with studio one. The Melodyne workflow sounds interesting though and I'll definitely try that out.

My problem occurs one step later though. I already have my perfectly edited midi version of the drum track and now I want to feed it into Trigger. In my opinion Trigger should be used on an instrument track but that does not work. I think I will hit up the Slate support as well and see what they think about this.
by Tacman7 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:58 am
christianschmid1 wrote I already have my perfectly edited midi version of the drum track and now I want to feed it into Trigger.

That doesn't sound right to me.

So this trigger is replacement software, it will listen to audio and generate midi.

Once you have the midi, you're done, you can put it in your drum software.

Unless there's more to it than I saw from a quick read.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by christianschmid1 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:14 pm
Tacman7 wrote
christianschmid1 wrote I already have my perfectly edited midi version of the drum track and now I want to feed it into Trigger.

That doesn't sound right to me.

So this trigger is replacement software, it will listen to audio and generate midi.

Once you have the midi, you're done, you can put it in your drum software.

Unless there's more to it than I saw from a quick read.

It can trigger from audio, but also from MIDI notes. You can specify a MIDI note it will listen for in the settings. And as I said: this setup works flawlessly in Pro Tools.
by Tacman7 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:24 pm
I don't see what it would do, you could just put the midi in the drum software right?

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Jemusic on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:30 pm
Trigger does both things. It converts Audio to Midi plus its a sample playback device too. See here:

https://stevenslatedrums.com/trigger-2- ... /#OVERVIEW

It also has some very cool features in terms of drum replacement. Such as being smart enough to ignore spill and only trigger sounds on the actual note.

I would be definitely be getting onto Slate with this and seeing if they can help in regards to getting it to work properly in Studio One.

Otherwise if you have the midi data already you can trigger sounds via other ways such as using the built in Studio One instruments. You may be able to load Trigger samples into Studio One instruments as well. But the ideal solution is getting it working inside Studio One. It may be just a setting somewhere etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Tacman7 on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:50 pm
That's showing it being used as an insert on an audio track. So it doesn't work like that?

No need for midi, just add other sounds to the audio being played?

Midi would be for triggering in other drum programs?

Is there a vid where it shows what to do with the midi you extract?

Interesting plugin...

Forum Moderator.

by Jemusic on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:31 pm
Consulting the manual, Trigger can be used in a number of ways.

1 Original audio triggering drum replacement sounds. Midi not involved here

2 Original audio can also generate midi. That midi can be used to trigger other drum sounds from other drum VST's. (only if the DAW involved allows a midi signal from an audio effect to be directed to a midi track) Original audio also triggers its own Trigger 2 sounds at the same time if wanted.

3 Trigger can be a drum VST and midi created elsewhere on a midi track can trigger the sounds inside Trigger. (only if the DAW involved allows you to direct the output from a midi track to an audio track)

The OP is having trouble getting midi to talk to Trigger 2 as a VST it seems.

From the manual:

MIDI Input
Using MIDI Input, you can play TRIGGER 2’s internal sounds from a MIDI track, or external device, such as MIDI keyboard. To setup MIDI input, you need to turn it “On” via the checkbox, choose the MIDI Input channel and note in the Settings page. As soon as this is done, you can play TRIGGER 2’s internal sounds by routing a MIDI track or MIDI device to the track with TRIGGER 2 inserted.

To the OP are you doing this? A midi track may not see it until you do this. But if you are and I guess you might be, Studio One may not be able to see it from a midi track.

No midi is required at all if you are just wanting Trigger 2 to replace drum sounds on existing audio tracks.

by christianschmid1 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 am
Tacman7 wroteI don't see what it would do, you could just put the midi in the drum software right?

I have all my multisamples in Trigger. Some I recorded and mixed myself, some 3rd party. All in special .tci files. Trigger IS my drum software!
by christianschmid1 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 am
Jemusic wroteTo the OP are you doing this? A midi track may not see it until you do this. But if you are and I guess you might be, Studio One may not be able to see it from a midi track.

No midi is required at all if you are just wanting Trigger 2 to replace drum sounds on existing audio tracks.

Yes I am doing this! I do not want to trigger from audio. MIDI information is easier to see and easier to edit. It's a feature of the software I bought and I intend to use it that way.

I contacted Slate support. Let's see what they say about this.
by Jemusic on Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:21 pm
I just did a quick experiment. I inserted a Melda Production audio plugin on an audio track. But it can be setup so midi data can control various parameters within the plugin. I had to go into the settings and activate a midi control signal to control a parameter.

Then when I created an Instrument track I see that the Melda Plugin is now one of its destinations.

So to the OP, have you after turning the Midi IN function on inside Trigger 2, have you looked carefully at the Instrument track available destinations to make sure it is actually there. I have got a lot of external hardware so my list is quite long. The Melda Plugin was not easy to see in the list.

If Trigger 2 is not listed there it may be something that your Instrument tracks in Studio One cannot connect to currently.

by PTRefugee on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:20 pm
I'm running into this issue as reported by the OP as well. The problem is that Trigger can only be used as an insert on an audio track even though it's receiving midi input. Unless I'm overlooking something, it cannot be bounced. You have to setup a new audio track that receives the output of the Slate Trigger track and record it in realtime.

So the configuration is as follows:

1. One instrument track containing the midi (output going to Trigger)
2. One audio track with Trigger as an insert (receiving the midi for Trigger)
3. One audio track as a "record" track receiving the output from the audio track with Trigger

If there is an easier way to accomplish this that allows for a bounce instead of requiring recording in realtime, please let me know.

Thanks

Studio One Pro 6.5.1 | i7 Mac Mini / 64GB RAM / OS X Monterey | Apollo x8

13 posts
Page 1 of 1