14 posts
Page 1 of 1
What I'm wondering is how likely/possible it would be to produce a version of S1 for to run on an Android system - call it say S1 Lite. For me, I would find this a very useful tool to have (and would get to use my Samsung tablet :) ).

Now I understand that an Android tablet probably does not have the power or resources to run a full system, or to run many VSTs if any. What I envisage is

1. it would be a DAWlet that would support say 16 tracks
2. it probably would not support VSTs etc but would have a builtin sound-set (size and composition of which TBD).
3. It would have a small set of standard effects.
4. I have no idea if it could support audio, others would know better than myself. So probably just support instrument tracks.
5. It would not have all the functionality of big brother S1.
6. It would be an easily portable (eg. on long train journeys) and would basically it would be used as a scribble pad.
7. Most important it would save .song files readable by S1

Of course, all this is with just myself in mind - I would personally find it very useful. It's just a basic scribble pad that I have in mind. it may exist already as an iPad app, but I have no intention of getting one.

Discuss :)

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.6
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, Maschine 3

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by leosutherland on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:33 am
Waaaaaah! :cry:

I guess I'm the only one then, who would find such a thing useful?

I'll just stand in the corner then :(

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by IanM5 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:43 am
You're not the only one who would find it useful but developing decent audio software for Android does not often make good business sense for developers.
Android itself is not very friendly to real-time audio. There have been some improvements but they are typically only on the very high-end phones/tablets from just a few companies. That means a very small market for any app that relies on that stuff.

Add to that the fact that there are loads of versions of Android and loads of different hardware platforms so making an app that works across all of them is not easy.

Finally, consider that it's hard to charge more than a few 10's of $$$ for any tablet or phone app.

Developing audio stuff for Apple tables/phones makes a bit more sense because the OS is generally better at handling audio and there are fewer target devices but even there you can't charge enough money to cover the development costs.

So the best you can probably hope for is some sort of cut down audio/midi sketch pad that offers integration with the desktop S1. PS already do an audio-only thing for iPad/iPhone that records a few tracks of audio and then dumps them into desktop S1 over WiFi. It's slick and impressive but very limited.

And come out of the corner. You're making the place look untidy!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by leosutherland on Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:59 am
IanM5 wroteSo the best you can probably hope for is some sort of cut down audio/midi sketch pad that offers integration with the desktop S1. PS already do an audio-only thing for iPad/iPhone that records a few tracks of audio and then dumps them into desktop S1 over WiFi. It's slick and impressive but very limited.

I thought that was more or less what I suggested - only to simplify things, just make it for instruments ie. not audio, because of the reasons you give - ie. I understand Android basically not a real high-performance OS.

And yes perhaps in that case limited - but as I said, just a basic scribble pad. Major thing is the integration with S1 (or just an export function to .song).

I wasn't expecting production quality - but hey, you never know ;)

IanM5 wroteAnd come out of the corner. You're making the place look untidy!

Sorry :(

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by IanM5 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 pm
leosutherland wrote
IanM5 wroteSo the best you can probably hope for is some sort of cut down audio/midi sketch pad that offers integration with the desktop S1. PS already do an audio-only thing for iPad/iPhone that records a few tracks of audio and then dumps them into desktop S1 over WiFi. It's slick and impressive but very limited.

I thought that was more or less what I suggested - only to simplify things, just make it for instruments ie. not audio, because of the reasons you give - ie. I understand Android basically not a real high-performance OS.

And yes perhaps in that case limited - but as I said, just a basic scribble pad. Major thing is the integration with S1 (or just an export function to .song).

I wasn't expecting production quality - but hey, you never know ;)

IanM5 wroteAnd come out of the corner. You're making the place look untidy!

Sorry :(

It's sort-of what you suggested except you want instruments too. Those instruments are effectively "midi to audio converters" so although you are not asking for audio recording you are sill asking for a real-time audio app and on Android it will suffer from latencies that are usually high and sometimes variable. That variable part is the hardest thing for developers to deal with. It's not a coincidence that the Apple ecosystem has an order of magnitude more music apps than the Android ecosystem.

Maybe in a few years the general pool of Android devices will be better at that stuff but there still may not be a good business case for it.

But I'd happily try such an app if it existed! :+1

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by themaartian on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:18 pm
Studio One RC is an existing Android app that provides remote control of Studio One over your wireless LAN.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .dawremote

For a full recording solution on Android, I settled on the Audio Evolution Mobile (AEM) DAW. They also offer an audio driver for external audio interfaces (via an OTG cable, making the phone the USB master). The price for the two apps is well below US$20. When the drivers for my Tascam US-16x08 failed, I switched it with the AudioBox 44 VSL I was using with my phone, so now I'm back to running the 44 VSL on my PC, and the Tascam on my phone, where it works beautifully!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_US

Here are the dozens of audio interfaces supported by AEM:

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/tech ... dio-driver

AEM is great for remote recording, and then dropping the audio into Studio One.

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by tovokas on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:10 am
Besides the standard ‘cost verse market’ issues, the issue with Android has always been really, really crappy latency in the audio pipeline, which really makes it a non-starter except for specific types of recording apps designed around those limitations. (Not relying on real-time midi or audio recording, by focusing on entering all the midi notes with taps on a grid while the app is stopped etc.) I have an app with minor sound needs on Android, and followed the dev forums for years hoping breakthroughs would come with no substantial changes.

Who knows, things might have improved recently, but as mentioned previously, probably only for the newest, most expensive devices, again limiting the market.

(And I also heartily support checking out the Studio One utility app for controlling the DAW from your device: if it behaves anything like the iOS version, it’s a very handy tool!)

M1 Mac Studio 32 Gigs/ i7 Windows
Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Tascam Model 12/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Studio One 6.5 (Sphere) / Waveform 12.5
Plugins: Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia,
Komplete 14, PSP
by leosutherland on Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:15 am
Just FYI, I've purchased and installed AEM Studio 2 on my Samsung tablet - it all looks fine so far, but I need to really play around with it some more.

Pity I've got fat fingers! :lol:

Maybe I could use a stylus....

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by PreAl on Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 pm
tovokas wroteBesides the standard ‘cost verse market’ issues, the issue with Android has always been really, really crappy latency in the audio pipeline, which really makes it a non-starter except for specific types of recording apps designed around those limitations. (Not relying on real-time midi or audio recording, by focusing on entering all the midi notes with taps on a grid while the app is stopped etc.) I have an app with minor sound needs on Android, and followed the dev forums for years hoping breakthroughs would come with no substantial changes.

Who knows, things might have improved recently, but as mentioned previously, probably only for the newest, most expensive devices, again limiting the market.

(And I also heartily support checking out the Studio One utility app for controlling the DAW from your device: if it behaves anything like the iOS version, it’s a very handy tool!)

Not anymore an issue with the latest OS and phones, Pixel 3/4 will probably be fine. How the app is coded is also another factor.

https://www.audiokinetic.com/library/ed ... tpath.html

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by klypeman on Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:44 am
Some years ago I used the Cubasis on travels with a little MIDI keyboard on an Ipad (dead now).
I for one would love if I could do scribbles on my Lenovo Tab in a SOLite config., as it is now I have to take a laptop and soundcard+a 25 keyboard with me and that's simply not working on the plane.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by ryevick on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:15 pm
I would like to use Studio One RC in my drum room to help me control, edit and map Steven Slate Drums SSD5 & Trigger 2 while away from my audio desk. Is there a way to open the actual GUI of the plugin remotely instead of just a parameters window? If so, how? If it can not be done using Studio One RC, is there another Android app that can do this?

S1 4.6 Pro / Win 10 Pro 64 / ASUS Z97-A / Intel i5-4670K 3.4 GHz / G.SKILL 32GB DDR3 / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Syba Firewire PCI-e / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, OctoPre MkII Dynamic, ISA One Analog, ISA One Digital / Presonus TubePre & FaderPort / JBL LSR305 & Roland MA-15D Monitors, JBL 2310SP Subwoofer / Mackie Big Knob / ART HeadAmp6Pro / Behringer Ha400 / Various Headphones / AOC 29" 21:9 Ultrawide / CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Mobile: Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G / i5-6200U 2.30 GHz / 32GB DDR4 / Win 10 64 / Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen / KAT Multipad / Nektar Panorama P6
by leosutherland on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:03 am
Sadly, methinks I'll have to abandon AEM on may Tab Pro. When playing a loop, the sound was happening about 1/2 to 1 second after the cursor hits a note. I setup the Low Latency setting, and now it's more like 1-2 seconds :shock:

I can't deal with that :cry:

How much are iPads these days? :roll:

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by tovokas on Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:43 am
PreAl wroteNot anymore an issue with the latest OS and phones, Pixel 3/4 will probably be fine. How the app is coded is also another factor.

Cool!
leosutherland wroteSadly, methinks I'll have to abandon AEM on may Tab Pro. When playing a loop, the sound was happening about 1/2 to 1 second after the cursor hits a note. I setup the Low Latency setting, and now it's more like 1-2 seconds :shock:

Hmmm. :)

M1 Mac Studio 32 Gigs/ i7 Windows
Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Tascam Model 12/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Studio One 6.5 (Sphere) / Waveform 12.5
Plugins: Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia,
Komplete 14, PSP
by leosutherland on Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:54 am
tovokas wroteHmmm. :)

Indeed.

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

14 posts
Page 1 of 1