34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Win 10 x64 ; Studio One Pro 4; Presonus Audiobox 96 interface
by SwitchBack on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm
With that mic you sing to the kidney symbol, so you should face the mic exactly as shown in the picture
At a distance of a foot or slightly less, a good XLR cable, and phantom power (+48V) "on" the mic should give plenty signal. When it is plugged into input 1 then turn down the gain knob for input 1 until the clip light doesn't come on anymore when you sing the loudest part of the song.

The mic you have isn't intended to be handheld really. It works better in a holder on a boomed mic stand like this:
The mic can be upside down as shown but doesn't need to be. The disc in front of the mic is a pop filter (a ring with a mesh you sing through to tone down consonants like "t"s and "p"s). It's optional but also helps to maintain a constant distance to the mic, which is good for a more even recording level and sound.

At least try singing to the "kidney" and see if you can get the Audiobox to not clip. And have you made any inroads with the software?
by swampthing on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:18 pm
SwitchBack wroteWith that mic you sing to the kidney symbol, so you should face the mic exactly as shown in the picture
At a distance of a foot or slightly less, a good XLR cable, and phantom power (+48V) "on" the mic should give plenty signal. When it is plugged into input 1 then turn down the gain knob for input 1 until the clip light doesn't come on anymore when you sing the loudest part of the song.

The mic you have isn't intended to be handheld really. It works better in a holder on a boomed mic stand like this:
The mic can be upside down as shown but doesn't need to be. The disc in front of the mic is a pop filter (a ring with a mesh you sing through to tone down consonants like "t"s and "p"s). It's optional but also helps to maintain a constant distance to the mic, which is good for a more even recording level and sound.

At least try singing to the "kidney" and see if you can get the Audiobox to not clip. And have you made any inroads with the software?

Thanks for taking your time to help me, SwitchBlack. I think I've got it in input 1, but I'll check tomorrow (not in my littlestudio now). I need to rerecord vocals for a song tomorrow, so I'll specifically look for the clipping lights. If they turn on, all I need to do is turn the input 1 knob down until it doesn't, right (I like to have my S1 vox track levels high so I can hear if I'm singing flat, which escapes me if I don't listen carefully).Oh, wow, that looks cool upside down, and much more logical! Mine is awkwardly positioned behind the filter, upwards, so it's not mouth level. I wonder if I can manage to have it hang down like that; that would be perfect head level. The kidney symbol, aye. That's the side I sing into. What do you mean by ''inroads'' though? Drivers? I don't think this one has any. Or did you means something else?

by hello people on Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:11 pm
Slight hijack but....

When I mixdown it used to be that after the mixdown the mixed down file would open in a window that was the location of where I sent it for mixdown.

Now however, that doesn't open anymore. What it shows after mixdown is the menu/ dialogue for mixdown. I have to hit cancel to close that, since I've just mixed down!

What have I done to make it do this?

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, 12th Gen i7-12700KF 3.60 GHz, 32gig 3600mhz RAM, Asus Radeon RX 6600 Dual V2 8G, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD x2, MSI MAG B660M Mortar WIFI LGA 1700 DDR4 mATX Mobo, Studio One Pro latest v5, RME Fireface UFX II
by IanM5 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:29 pm
swampthing wroteI need to rerecord vocals for a song tomorrow, so I'll specifically look for the clipping lights. If they turn on, all I need to do is turn the input 1 knob down until it doesn't, right

Yes, but turn it down a little further than necessary to allow for the very common thing where a singer sings louder during the performance than during the practice!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by swampthing on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:27 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:28 am
Just fishing. Since Swampthing has tried the +48v phantom on this condenser, and that's still not enough, there might be 2 other conditions to check, or at least confirm 1. Impedance, and 2. It's just possible, the diaphragm may be damaged.

1. Since from the ohoto, theres a balanced cable (3 prong connector) going directly from your mic, is there also a 3 pin connection going to your audio interface (also a 3 prong socket connection preferably that, or at least a balanced phone plug where tip, ring, and sleeve contain the three wired connection). Anything else might be suspect to an impedance mismatch exhibiting low level or distortion. Some wired cables, such as AES/EBU may look identical, but be wired otherwise or just wired wrong.

2. If all is good on the connection/impedance match side, isolate the source of what could be the problem - The microphone. Change that mic with another condenser mic. Are there any audable differences? It's likely since the OP sounds rather new at this (discovering the levels) that they have only the one mic available. It would be a plus to try another. I used to repair Beyer-Dynamic mics (along with Revox tape decks), and there was no shortage with component damage. Particularly with diaphragms. Mics can and do take a beating, especially ribbon diaphragms. Also try another channel to verify preamp circuitry of the interface isn't damaged.

Good check on the off axis question. From the omni polar pattern shown, your good there so the picture is helpful. Good job.

Other than that, I wouldn't (as Woody Allan would say), "interject a concept at this juncture".

Please be very mindful of your levels where the red overload indicator is. The human voice is often harder to control levels with unless you're gain riding levels from a fader or gain control software, or placing modest limiting or compression in the path. When you sing, no matter how into the notes your going for, have a constant view of your level. If you can't view incoming levels from the position in front of the mic, view it by matching the level at your monitor. It's real important. Otherwise use a limiter, for insurance.

Btw, don't drop that mic anymore. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by swampthing on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:09 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Jemusic on Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm
hello people wroteWhen I mixdown it used to be that after the mixdown the mixed down file would open in a window that was the location of where I sent it for mixdown.

Now however, that doesn't open anymore. What it shows after mixdown is the menu/ dialogue for mixdown. I have to hit cancel to close that, since I've just mixed down!

What have I done to make it do this?

Sorry to go OT here but to answer this user's question. When you are about to do a mixdown in that mixdown dialogue you will see an option to Close After Export This needs to be checked. You have unchecked this I would say.

When its checked, after the export the location window of the export opens up. If its unchecked then after an export that window does not open up and the export window remains. Another user has asked if neither window can open up after an export but it seems not. Its one or the other.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by SwitchBack on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:36 pm
@swampthing, at this point I suggest two actions:
1. Get the software that came with the Audiobox working. Not having the drivers and control software running as they should can cause issues. I don’t have an Audiobox so I can’t be of help. Maybe ask for help in the Audiobox forum?
2. Take your microphone, (shock)mount and cable to a good audio shop and tell them you ‘have problems’ with it. They can quickly check for issues and also help you with the/a mount (for holding the mic upside down). Then buy at least a good xlr-to-xlr microphone cable of suitable length (for their effort, always good to have, and won’t break the bank).

Once you’re sure the mic is fine and the software running you’re in a much better position. Now there are just too many open ends :)

PS. The shock mount in the picture looks like a Koolertron universal shock mount to me. That model mount clamps the body of the mic.
by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 pm
All good checks. Also good point Jemusic made. That will ensure your mixdown file is going to where you expect it to. I have the window open anyway, so I don' check that, but I think in this case, it's a good measure.

FWIW, turn the mic 180 degrees upright. Place mics on any angle that work for you, particularly with instruments. For vocals, typically up or down will yield good results. You're not in any large hall combating room reflections. Supporting the mic ight-side up will minimise something that shouldn't fall.

There's no shortage of dialog in this forum on meter adjustments. In keeping it simple, your S1 monitor meter that you choose should match where the red overload indicators start to peak.

Yes, get your audio interface drivers, and software going as Switchback says. You'll want to understand any mix settings you can make there. Or even effects processing to assist.

Since your sending the exported mixdown file to someone for further mastering (of tracks), remember it's only so they have some indicator of what your intentions you're going for. Just drop the dB's enough to not peak and be done with it. Don't sweat the levels. They're not going to do anything with that file, other than make a brief determination from it. They will want your stems (tracks) to actually perform the mix/master.

Just make sure you're happy with that vocal, and that it's not distorting on its own. When solo'd. You know the ol' saying, "garbage in, garbage out". Not to be in any way related to the music. Just a term for obtaining the best results which we ALL want you to have. :thumbup:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by swampthing on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by frank.crow on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am
Bbd wrote@swampthing

When exporting a mix from the song (without using Project), S1 has the option to insert that mixdown into a new track. If you do this and then edit that file, you will see the peaks in the wave form which might help you figure out what is the loudest parts.

When exporting a mix, if you like the way the mix sounds, you will not want to start lowering individual track volumes just to get rid of the over-peak issues. You can instead try to tame the peaks in the tracks that might be the problem using a compressor or limiter on them.
Or, you can put a compressor or limiter on the main output to catch the peaks there.

Wow that’s fascinating,
Would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail ? You can PM me if answering In this thread would be rude.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by SwitchBack on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:04 am
swampthing wroteThanks, Lokeyfly, I agree. I don't care for the clipping message. It sounds fine to me just for a preview, and I'm sure a professional will know what to do with the levels.

Just remember that recorded clipping can't be undone. Once the distortion is there it means some of the signal is scrambled. It may be possible to mask the worst of it but that won't bring back what's missing.

So when recording your tracks it is better to err on the safe side. With your interface properly set up that should do you no harm.

34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2