14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I'm trying to use AD in Studio One, but when I drag a drum track into grid, I can't find a tempo change function anywhere. Does anyone know how I could slow down/speed up the track? I don't see an option either in AD or when I right click (as there is for drum loops).

I don't want to change the tempo of the whole song. I know there is the sync tempo option in AD, but what if I'd like to set it at a specific tempo? Every tempo I fins is too fast, even with sync. How can I slow it down (if at all?) They sound fine when I sample, then the tempo speeds up for some reason, when I drag to grid.
Last edited by swampthing on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OS: Win 10 x64 ; Studio One Pro 4; Presonus Audiobox 96 interface
by edwine1 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:10 pm
Studio One has a Tempo Track that would cater to your needs (the 8th icon to the upper left that depicts a clock).

Windows 10 64bit
16gb RAM
Studio One 6 Pro
Melodyne 5 Editor
Notion 6
Focusrite 2i2 (3rd Gen)
GTX 1050ti
SSD Main Drive; 4x Sample SSD
Asrock B85m Motherboard

S1 user since v2
by swampthing on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:15 pm
Yes, but then it changes the tempo of the whole song, and I don't want that. I just want to change the drums tempo. It has, say a 85 tempo, which sounds fine. Then I drag to grid, and it suddenly speeds up. That's what I don't get.

by Jemusic on Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:20 pm
What happens when you set the Studio One session to 85 BPM. You need to match them all up. if you are wanting an AD groove tempo to stay the same then you need to set S1 session tempo to that. Otherwise the moment you drag something into S1 it will assume S1 tempo. (which might be at 120 BMP etc)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by swampthing on Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:53 pm
Jemusic wroteWhat happens when you set the Studio One session to 85 BPM. You need to match them all up. if you are wanting an AD groove tempo to stay the same then you need to set S1 session tempo to that. Otherwise the moment you drag something into S1 it will assume S1 tempo. (which might be at 120 BMP etc)

So I have to set the tempo for the whole song; it's impossible to just change tempo for drums like you can with drum loops?

by Nip on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 pm
If you set a midi track to timebase seconds - it is free from regular tempo in StudioOne.

Like you can have freely recorded midi like that, and later decide you want to align to grid - which is not you case now. Just the principle disregarding tempo in song.

I have not tried if you with timebase seconds on midi can stretch it to any tempo - but you can start with at least free it from tempo in song.

There is a speedup thingy in Event Inspector that I have not used yet - try it - it might do what you want. It's called manual timestretching or if you can just as well just drag edges of a clip - much to explore.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by swampthing on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Nip on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 am
I use Additive Drums 2(AD2) but only with midi on tracks - I have no clue how your audio would distort.

I tested with midi clip on a track - timebase second - and Alt drag right edge of clip I lengthen or shorten that clip to any size I want.

So as your question " ''Is it possible to change tempo of an AD track like I can of a drum loop?"
Answer: Yes

If there are internal stuff, doing midi inside AD I never looked for it.

Are you using audio record inside AD which AD manual tells about - and then drag that audio to daw?
Question: Why do that?

Send audio to StudioOne once you stretched midi to the tempo you want - all in StudioOne. And you never encounter any distortion due to tempo you run.

You can drag-n-drop midi files from Beat page in AD2 to StudioOne track as you please.

But if you want to do all in AD, set StudioOne tempo to desired tempo and activate Sync Tempo in AD and it will play in the tempo StudioOne has. So set that really low for the purpose of controlling tempo and play the drumloops in AD.

If I still am off in how I read your request - please explain further. :)

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by swampthing on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 am
Nip wroteI use Additive Drums 2(AD2) but only with midi on tracks - I have no clue how your audio would distort.

I tested with midi clip on a track - timebase second - and Alt drag right edge of clip I lengthen or shorten that clip to any size I want.

So as your question " ''Is it possible to change tempo of an AD track like I can of a drum loop?"
Answer: Yes

If there are internal stuff, doing midi inside AD I never looked for it.

Are you using audio record inside AD which AD manual tells about - and then drag that audio to daw?
Question: Why do that?

Send audio to StudioOne once you stretched midi to the tempo you want - all in StudioOne. And you never encounter any distortion due to tempo you run.

You can drag-n-drop midi files from Beat page in AD2 to StudioOne track as you please.

But if you want to do all in AD, set StudioOne tempo to desired tempo and activate Sync Tempo in AD and it will play in the tempo StudioOne has. So set that really low for the purpose of controlling tempo and play the drumloops in AD.

If I still am off in how I read your request - please explain further. :)

If I understand correctly, you're talking about lengthening and shortening a clip, while I'm talking about changing tempo. Or did I misunderstand? I did the sync tempo and all that, but when I drag, it speeds up thrice the original speed. I have different tempos for different tracks, so I can't set a single tempo because say, I want my bass track slowed down, and my guitar part sped up. So one plays at 170.00, the other at 120.00. And I want the drum track to fit in all of that. So no unified tempo (although it says 120.00 for the whole song, I then set different tracks to different tempos). Not all drum tracks speed up;some of the slower ones do. Others are fine, but it would be easier if I could just right click and write in the desired tempo like I can with a loop, so then it is not possible to do that. I can sync with my whole song, but not to whatever tempo I want (for the individual AD drum track). Hope I am making myself clear.

Record inside AD, I haven't heard of this yet (not familiar with AD too well yet. Just beginning to mess around). Can you explain what you mean?

by Nip on Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:06 am
If you have a midi clip - that is not tied to tempo, thanks to having timebase seconds, not beats - dragging clips in time is the same as changing tempo. Distance between each midi data is widened as longer the clip gets.

Although for midi there is no field to enter beat or speedup, as far as I found.

Since you talked about getting distortion, I'm thinking you start off with audio that you stretch - so just tried to understand what you are up to.

And I still don't actually - some sound design for a film as foley artist?.

What is your source material that you work with, doing guitar 170 and other in 120.
Just sample stuff at random and create order between this, or?

Depending on type of sound it will sound crap doing such wide tempo stretching for audio.
If you work with midi and sample libraries this is not problem, you can stretch in time as I described on top with no distortion in playback.

Your are giving us pixels and expect us to build a picture of what you want, try again.

by swampthing on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:33 am
deleted post
Last edited by swampthing on Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by kirkmiller3 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:42 pm
Jemusic wroteWhat happens when you set the Studio One session to 85 BPM. You need to match them all up. if you are wanting an AD groove tempo to stay the same then you need to set S1 session tempo to that. Otherwise the moment you drag something into S1 it will assume S1 tempo. (which might be at 120 BMP etc)

I can't change the tempo to something other than 120!!! Frustrating! I haven't had this problem before. It's probably something stupid I am doing but please, someone help!
by Tacman7 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:19 am
Welcome to the Forum!

Is this down in the bottom in the transport or inside a plugin?

Good to have more detail and info about your setup, good to put your specs in your signature(click in my signature)

Were you working with the tempo track?

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/A ... ight=tempo

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by sirmonkey on Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:06 pm
In AD, the loops all seem to have a set tempo that can't be changed within AD.
But I think I found a way to do what you want. It does require a bit of simple math to hit
an exact BPM, but it's not hard.

What you do is right click the midi event, and choose the "Stretch" option from the dropdown
box (located at about the middle of the box). This actually can stretch, or shorten the loop.
I tested this, and got things to work:.
I set Studio One's tempo to 160, and set AD to follow S1's tempo. Dragged in a loop, which was
of course at 160 BPM. I decided to make the loop 120 BPM (a difference of 40 BPM)
40 BPM = 1/3 of 120 BPM, so I needed to make the loop 1/3 longer.
So I used the stretch command, and used a value of 1.33.
Result was a loop that played at 120 BPM, as desired.
* When using stretch, values over 1.0 spread out the midi (slower BPM resulting)
Values under 1.0 cram the notes closer together, yielding faster playback.
The is no distortion whatsoever, because samples are not being stretched or squashed....
Here, you just changing the timing that AD's samples are being triggered.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.

14 posts
Page 1 of 1