99 postsPage 1 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I have recently shifted my workflow to Mac after using Studio One 4 on Win10. Audio performance seems the same however the GUI is sluggish when interacting with multiple tracks, and the software is generally slower and stickyer to navigate. There is a small delay between pressing F3 and the Console showing up.

On Win10, S1 feels quick and snappy, zoom is fluent and smooth no matter how far in/out and meters display with much more detail. The console shows as soon as I hit F3.

This is tested via bootcamp on a 2019 i5 MacBook Pro and a 2017 iMac 7700k.

- Zoom out in the editor with 16 + tracks
- Re size fader/meter height in Console view
- Scroll through colours in Console view with colourized channel strips (scroll wheel over track name) I use this feature a lot and it's a workflow killer on Mac
- All metering is pretty janky compared to super smooth meters in Win10

Fresh installs of Mojave 10.14.6 and Studio One 4 version 4.5.2

Thanks!
by PreAl on Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:00 pm
Same pixel and colour resolutions?
Latest display drivers everywhere?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by tovokas on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 am
Not seeing this behavior on the same 2017 iMac.

One thing you can try is to right click on Studio One 4.app in the applications folder, click on ‘Get Info’, then check ‘Open in low resolution’. If things run smoothly in low-res, then it might have something to do with how S1 handles Retina displays. (Which I’ve seen in other DAWs).

M1 Mac Studio 32 Gigs/ i7 Windows
Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Tascam Model 12/Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Studio One 6.5 (Sphere) / Waveform 12.5
Plugins: Plugin Alliance, IK Multimedia,
Komplete 14, PSP
by samuelsproull on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:45 am
PreAl wroteSame pixel and colour resolutions?
Latest display drivers everywhere?

Yep, everything as it should be.

I have now tested it on:

* MacBook Pro 2019 / i5 2.4 / 8gb / Iris 655
* iMac 2017 / i7 4.2 / 32gb / Radeon 575
* iMac 2017 / i5 3.5 / 24gb / Radeon 575
* Mac Mini 2012 / i7 2.3 / 16gb / Intel 630

In all of the above cases I used a fresh install of Mojave, with ONLY Studio One 4.5.2 installed (except my partners i5 that she uses for design). The software runs, but the gui is sluggish in all the same ways as before, like the program isn't getting enough video memory.

I then started testing on High Sierra - with fresh installs on the iMac i7 and the Mac Mini 2012. Exactly the same performance as Mojave - the program runs but dips well below 10Hz when moving more than one thing around at a time.

So I added one more system to the test, a Surface Pro 4 with an i5 6500U and 4gb RAM - definitely not an ideal audio machine and in desperate need of a reformat. Guess what? Silky smooth.

I've tested S1 on 4 different Macs with fresh installs of two different and supported operating systems. All of them far more powerful than the Surface Pro 4. All of them showing massive slowdown with minor tasks, whereas the Windows installs work a treat.

Here is me moving faders on the 2019 MacBook Pro: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vEwtCbZDgoawixsf8

Here is me moving the same faders on the Surface Pro 4:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QftRbaDLMztZrpvL7

Here is one of the iMacs. You can see the playhead skipping as I adjust fader height:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gdYxju9Qjwnp83657

As far as I can tell, S1 is broken on Mac.
by musicchamber on Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:50 am
I experience massive lag when moving plugin windows, there is def something not working correctly in Studio One Pro 4.5.2. This lag is not just a little as I said it’s huge.

I have a powerful system and didn’t get these problems until 4.5.2 was released. It is very frustrating tbh.

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by tovokas on Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:21 am
I just tested this on my 2017 iMac, and yes things get choppy while moving this many faders at once.

Enabling 'Open in low resolution' in the Get Info dialog for Studio One 4.app fixed the problem for me, so it does appear it has something to do with how Studio One is interacting with high-resolution displays on the Mac. You'll have to weigh whether the relatively minor graphic hit is worth it to have smooth performance.

Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Komplete 14, PSP
by musicchamber on Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:39 am
I have uploaded to Droplr a short 30 sec vid to demonstrate how severe the lag is in 4.5.2 on my system.

To view the vid click on this link:
https://d.pr/v/u1xXKx

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by normjohnson on Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:34 am
samuelsproull wroteI have recently shifted my workflow to Mac after using Studio One 4 on Win10. Audio performance seems the same however the GUI is sluggish when interacting with multiple tracks, and the software is generally slower and stickyer to navigate. There is a small delay between pressing F3 and the Console showing up.

On Win10, S1 feels quick and snappy, zoom is fluent and smooth no matter how far in/out and meters display with much more detail. The console shows as soon as I hit F3.

This is tested via bootcamp on a 2019 i5 MacBook Pro and a 2017 iMac 7700k.

- Zoom out in the editor with 16 + tracks
- Re size fader/meter height in Console view
- Scroll through colours in Console view with colourized channel strips (scroll wheel over track name) I use this feature a lot and it's a workflow killer on Mac
- All metering is pretty janky compared to super smooth meters in Win10

Fresh installs of Mojave 10.14.6 and Studio One 4 version 4.5.2

Thanks!

This is my experience as well. Opening plugins takes way too long, windows lag, etc.

The biggest one for me is that when you open the console or when you click on the console and drag there is like a second or two delay before the console opens or before it moves with your mouse.

It drives me insane. Unforutnately it has been this way back to Studio One 2 as far as I can recall....at least with the console. I've tried it on a macbook pro, imac 2017, and a 2012 mac mini and it does the same thing on all of them.

Plugins opening super slow seems to be a new thing. There seems to be much more slow down in the latest releases.

I've posted about it before but nothing has happened. I really wish they'd fix it.
by samuelsproull on Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:23 pm
musicchamber wroteI have uploaded to Droplr a short 30 sec vid to demonstrate how severe the lag is in 4.5.2 on my system.

To view the vid click on this link:
https://d.pr/v/u1xXKx

Best
Scott

I see the same lag with plugins also. Support seems to think this isn't normal but maybe they all have one very specific Mac that this doesn't happen on? :|
by musicchamber on Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:13 pm
The issue (lag) still exists in Studio One Pro 4.5.3 :(

by PreAl on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm
I'm not a Mac user, however I'm supportive.

I would hope that Presonus release a regression release sometime this month fixing any regression bugs for 4.5.3 identified and also fix this issue.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by peterbirch on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:13 am
PreAl wroteI would hope that Presonus release a regression release sometime this month fixing any regression bugs for 4.5.3 identified and also fix this issue.

What does that even mean?
They do a release to fix bugs (you call issues - presonus calls features)
Then they do another release to fix bugs that they should have fixed before and..
fix any created in this release ??

The world has gone totally mad.

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ
by PreAl on Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:41 am
^ Regression release is a dev term. A quick release that only fixes issues from the last release, usually supplies quick fixes and resolves highly critical issues

by samuelsproull on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:04 pm
After working through a few things with support, it unfortunately looks like this is a known issue that is not yet able to be addressed. Here is a quote from their latest message to me:

"I believe what you are referring to in this ticket is the small bit of graphic latency that is happening. When you drag a window on a Mac, there is a small ms delay in that the window follows the mouse. This does not happen on Windows. If this is what you are referring to, there is not a way for us to fix this for you in technical support. Should the issue be addressed in a future build, you will see it listed in the release notes. In short, the mouse leads the graphics on Mac, but is instantaneous on Windows."

So it seems the dream is over for me with S1 for the time being. I'll be keeping an eye on future releases, hopefully they can address these issues because the underlying software is great.
by tovokas on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:15 pm
samuelsproull wroteSo it seems the dream is over for me with S1 for the time being. I'll be keeping an eye on future releases, hopefully they can address these issues because the underlying software is great.

Have you tried just opening the app in low resolution mode? Before chucking S1, take the 30 seconds to give it a shot: it really has dramatically improved graphical performance on every system I've tried it...

1) Open the applications folder in Finder
2) Right click on Studio One 4.app and click on 'Get Info'
3) Check the 'Open in Low Resolution' box
4) Restart Studio One

Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Komplete 14, PSP
by musicchamber on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:01 am
samuelsproull wroteAfter working through a few things with support, it unfortunately looks like this is a known issue that is not yet able to be addressed. Here is a quote from their latest message to me:

"I believe what you are referring to in this ticket is the small bit of graphic latency that is happening. When you drag a window on a Mac, there is a small ms delay in that the window follows the mouse. This does not happen on Windows. If this is what you are referring to, there is not a way for us to fix this for you in technical support. Should the issue be addressed in a future build, you will see it listed in the release notes. In short, the mouse leads the graphics on Mac, but is instantaneous on Windows."

So it seems the dream is over for me with S1 for the time being. I'll be keeping an eye on future releases, hopefully they can address these issues because the underlying software is great.

WOW! I wouldn't say it's a 'small bit of graphic latency' at all. Viewing the vid I uploaded, would you say that qualifies Presonus support comments? To me it's a huge lag of graphic latency.

I will try in low resolution mode as suggested. Tbh Studio One Pro core canvas/ graphic code should really be updated to support modern Mac computers. I find this very slack on Presonus development team. Compare this with Logic Pro X, and there is no comparison. Logic Pro X graphics are so slick and super fluent. Also heavy graphics programs like Pixelmator or Affinity Photo that are optimised using the Metal framework are mind blowingly fast and they are doing a lot more graphically than what Studio One is doing.

Best
Scott.

by PreAl on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:42 pm
Are you running something called "magnet"? If so try disabling.

by musicchamber on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm
No I'm not using Magnet. I'm wondering if it's to do with the Xeon processors. I am going to have to contact Presonus support and see if they can help, or provide any kind of solution.

I also set Studio One Pro to use Low resolution mode, but that did not solve the lag issue unfortunately.

Thanks with the suggestion though :)

Best,
Scott

by tovokas on Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 am
I'm sorry, I hadn't checked out the video of what you specifically had been experiencing: that sort of 'screen tearing' you demonstrated in your video, where there are temporary box-shaped glitches left behind as you move a window around, is something I experienced for a while as well. Resolving it on my end, however, didn't have anything to do with switching to low resolution mode, it just suddenly stopped occurring.

So low-res mode should help with the sort of general sluggishness samuelsproull described, but the weird graphic artifacts and slow window moves might be a separate issue. (And it seemed to definitely be in my case. I still haven't figured out what changed on my end to 'resolve' the issue).

Mac Monterey/Windows 11
Komplete 14, PSP
by haimari on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:31 pm
Hello,

Recently migrated from Windows 10 to MacOS and facing very poor graphical performance.
In my case it's a new HW, which is much more powerful than the Previous DAW
(was windows 10 PC)

Considering this hardware, there shouldn't be any graphical performance issues... yet there are, and so far only in studio one.

Any other application (even games) i tested works just fine and smooth.

Studio one:
Code: Select all
version 4.5.4.54067

DAW:
Code: Select all
Model Name:   iMac
  Model Identifier:   iMac19,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core i9
  Processor Speed:   3.6 GHz
  Number of Processors:   1
  Total Number of Cores:   8

Graphics: