7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am confused about the mute button I am using S1 v3.56
I note confusion in earlier topic & posts one here back in v3.2 and others in S! v4***

Studio One 3.2 Bug? - Mute button question
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=17251

and the frustration of Lawrence & niles about this question coming up every 6 months in the same topic
viewtopic.php?p=153566#p153566

My Track inspector syncs with my console/mix but in the main track view some tracks do not sync their mute buttons - I can hear that the track has been muted.

I would like to offer an example using an Studio One Example - "J&B Chill Mode project"
in this project the 'Drums' are a in folder If I click mute of the 'Drums folder' in the Track View it and the all the drums in the folder show their Mute buttons as muted but,
in the console/mix & the track inspector it is only the drums in the folder that show as muted not the folder called drums itself -
also the Bass (Mojito) in the same folder does not sync mute in the console/mix or track inspector either.

It is as if the sync has been lost.between these buttons in the track view AND both the track inspector and console/mix

just about all other tracks in the project still work fine except a presence virtual instrument (red color) called mellow - it has the same problem, but the audio next to it works fine

I have noted that the computer keyboard partially works on a *focus* basis when toggling mute with the (M) key and is even more confusing !!!

If console is selected it will only mute in the Console & Track inspector

If track view is selected it will mute the track view only

If the track inspector is selected it will mute the track view and not show in the inspector or console

>> I would expect the track view and track inspector to be synced always <<

I find that after grouping tracks together in track view group1 etc and then ungrouping them that the mute behavior starts to misbehave as above and it also sometime happens for folder groupings.

I am NOT talking about muting sections in the midi editor - I have not tested the midi editor - yet

Please could you try using the J&B Chill Mode example and see if it occurs in the same way for you and perhaps you may discover the reason.

alternatively can the developers include some switches for the behavior of mute etc

EG using (Shift & Click + Mute) could isolate that particular item from the other windows
or other key combo. - there are other options that could be explored - giving the user a choice of default behaviors

oops I had inadvertently posted this made in Studio One deleted & reposted here
Any comments would be welcome
Thanks
david

Studio One Artist 3.56 (32+64)
Ableton Live Lite 9/10
Audio interface: Roland Rubix 22
NanoKontrol2 Controller
Novation Launchkey 25 (mk1) Keyboard/Controller
Acorn Masterkey49 Keyboard/Controller
Valpower Midi to CV/Gate into a
Roland MC202 instrument
PC 4th Gen i5 Win8.1
by Nip on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:53 am
Since there is no folder in console view, I assume you talk about the bus that is assigned in arrange main view.

Certain things apply to instrument tracks for sure - since no real correlation between track and console channel, they have to be paired in Inspector if there is. And if using external midi gear there is nothing but audio return track handling that.

Either way I found groups working very inconsistent, really trying more with the newer options in place with nesting and things. So doing solo/mute only on groups - I find it impossible to predict what happends. Even suspending groups properly the ones left are not all predictable.

Unless editing is active in the group - you have no visible confirmation in arrange view that those tracks are part of a group. Those are not shown in list to choose from even - this is shortly explained in the new 4.5 manual even and this not mentioned at all how to think. This can be part of confusion when you have solo/mute group which is to follow doing mute in channel - but might not.

So as workaround, I started creating a vca group instead to have mute work on what I want, then remove that when done with operations on those tracks.

And we should not start talking about what is affected as solo is used and grouping - I'm probably slow, but beats my understanding how certain tracks are muted and some not. So using vca workaround for that too, muting stuff only - to have predictable result - and no problem really. I will use grouping again when inconsistencies are gone.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Lawrence on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:55 am

Because the mixer channel and Instrument track are not the same things, and the Inspector is just a different way to see the mixer channel. The Inspector channel is not the track, it's the mixer channel.

Because the Instrument track and mixer channel are not the same things. You could have more than one track in a song all assigned and playing out to the same instrument. If you mute one track it will only stop the MIDI on that one track from playing, not mute the mixer channel which would mute everything playing through that mixer channel.

If the track inspector is selected it will mute the track view and not show in the inspector or console

The inspector channel is the mixer channel. They're one and the same. Instrument tracks don't have channels, virtual instruments have channels. Take note that an instrument track not assigned to any instrument has no inspector channel or mixer channel.
by davidmay1 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Ok thanks folks,
I understood the multiple instrument thing in console but I''ve been thinking the inspector backwards.
I saw the Inspector as a way to see the track info when your song was in overview or tiny view mode.
but it IS more closely connected to console. got it.

Ableton Live Lite 9/10
NanoKontrol2 Controller
Roland MC202 instrument
PC 4th Gen i5 Win8.1
by davidmay1 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:26 pm
Nip wrote "So as workaround, I started creating a vca group instead to have mute work on what I want".

Thanks for the idea Nip, I'll give that a go and see how it works for me !

Ableton Live Lite 9/10
NanoKontrol2 Controller
Roland MC202 instrument
PC 4th Gen i5 Win8.1
by dpfranz on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:18 pm
Lawrence wrote

Because the mixer channel and Instrument track are not the same things, and the Inspector is just a different way to see the mixer channel. The Inspector channel is not the track, it's the mixer channel.

Because the Instrument track and mixer channel are not the same things. You could have more than one track in a song all assigned and playing out to the same instrument. If you mute one track it will only stop the MIDI on that one track from playing, not mute the mixer channel which would mute everything playing through that mixer channel.

The inspector channel is the mixer channel. They're one and the same. Instrument tracks don't have channels, virtual instruments have channels. Take note that an instrument track not assigned to any instrument has no inspector channel or mixer channel.

This was a very helpful post for me - tracks are not channels. It seems obvious now, but it helped me for you to drive this home. Thanks
by Jemusic on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:34 pm
Another way to think of it too is the track mutes are on their way to the INPUTS to a virtual instrument and the mixer channel mutes are after the virtual Instrument eg its OUTPUT. That is why they are very different things.

When multiple tracks are feeding the same virtual instrument it is desirable to be able to mute them individually on their way in to that virtual instrument. The mixer channel mute however will just silence the virtual instrument, no matter how many tracks are feeding it.

There is no confusion. Its clear and logical.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

7 posts
Page 1 of 1