5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I am trying to create a note on Mai Tai that "wubs" whenever I hit a key. What I mean is that I am trying to get the synthesizer to adjust the low bypass filter cutoff (from low to high) as soon as I hit the key, with no delay. I have the LFO delay setting at zero, but whenever I hit the key, I hear the note with high filter cutoff before it begins to "wub" (i.e. adjust the filter cutoff from low to high). Is there any way I can remove this delay? I hope all of this is clear. I have attached to audio files to illustrate my point - Wub1 is how it currently sounds when a key is pressed, and Wub2 is how I would like it to sound when a key is pressed. Thanks!

Attachments
Wub 1.wav
How it sounds
(259.11 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Wub 2.wav
How I want it to sound
(259.11 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
by Bbd on Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:14 pm
1. You can convert to an audio file that you can edit like you did the examples you posted.
2. For the preset in Mai Tai, which one are you using? Can you export it and attach it here?

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Jemusic on Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:57 pm
Check the envelope settings for the filter in Mai Tai. Make sure there is no pre delay setting there.

Export the preset you are working with as Bbd mentioned and we can load it up and re-tweak.

I can get the sound you want by starting with the filter closed right down. Use a positive going envelope 2. The first attack should be at zero and the second attack sets the speed of the Wub I guess. Sustain needs to full up so the filter opens up and stays open while you are holding down.

It is a sound that has a slowish attack to it so the part might need to be advanced early or dragged back behind the grid in order to get the peak of the Wub on the beats etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by coltoncrawford1 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:26 pm
@Bbd If I convert to an audio file like above, would I have to record and sample each individual note on the keyboard if I wanted to play different notes with the same effect?

@Jemusic I'll try playing with the envelopes.

I tried uploading the preset but it told me "the extension preset is not allowed," so I included a screenshot.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments
Mai Tai preset 2.jpg
by Jemusic on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:15 pm
I still think you are going about it the wrong way. I see you have got the filter wide open and you are using a negative going envelope to create the effect. That way you will always hear something first before the Wub.

I am suggesting you start with the filter closed down and use a positive going envelope with some attack to open it up instead. Then you don't hear any pre sound. Just the Wub Wub :)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

5 posts
Page 1 of 1