48 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3
I believe this was resolved as of 5.1.2 along with the major jitter issues.

Toronto, Canada
Project engineer by day, sound connoisseur by night.

Main Rig: Windows 11 (21H2) 64-bit, Ryzen 3900x, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060, dual 4K Monitors
Presonus 192, Faderport v2, Atom SQ, Akai Advance 49, Keystation 61 mk3, 2x Behringer X-Touch Mini + way too many synths.

Mobile Rig: MBP M1/16GB, Atom SQ, IOstation
by kisnou on Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:53 am
I had a similar issue with my external synth - a Prophet X. I was having trouble with MIDI notes, because I used it as a MIDI keyboard as well.

I did anything I could, from loopback tests to even searching the BIOS for anything weird (changed audio interface too)..
Now I only record the audio from the Prophet and try to align it afterwards, but I can tell it didn't happen in Ableton and FL Studio.

It was like.. MIDI jitter or something (it was visible in the loopback test as well, each time I got different results), some notes were recorded earlier, some were recorded later..

I gave up in the end :+1

Presonus Featured Artist (Italy)
My Latest Feature Requests :arrow:
https://answers.presonus.com/73692/s1-essential-feature-plugin-racks
https://answers.presonus.com/72506/zoom-to-selection-improvement-vote-if-you-agree
Studio One Pro 6
Win10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 32gb ram DDR4
Gigabyte RTX 3060
Interface: Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen
Prophet XL + KeyStep Pro
Atom SQ
Revelator
by Airyck on Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:41 pm
kisnou wroteI had a similar issue with my external synth - a Prophet X. I was having trouble with MIDI notes, because I used it as a MIDI keyboard as well.

I did anything I could, from loopback tests to even searching the BIOS for anything weird (changed audio interface too)..
Now I only record the audio from the Prophet and try to align it afterwards, but I can tell it didn't happen in Ableton and FL Studio.

It was like.. MIDI jitter or something (it was visible in the loopback test as well, each time I got different results), some notes were recorded earlier, some were recorded later..

I gave up in the end :+1

I almost gave up as well but I did end up figuring out why my MIDI notes were random compared to the Audio track.

During the loop back test, you're switching to a "seconds" based time line. The audio is recording as expected but the MIDI is very random (like you say). Some ahead some behind etc.

In the transport at the bottom of the screen make sure that "input quantize" is turned off. The MIDI notes are still being quantized to a beat grid even though you're playing with a "seconds" based timeline. That's what the problem is.

It's the little gear icon or "shift+option+r" on Mac.

I wanted to post this because I almost gave up too and I'm hoping somebody who's having the same struggle will find my post.
by tomnosek on Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm
Did anybody already solve the timing issue with MIDI in playback? (notes are placed earlier than recorded) I am currently having the same issue and its really frustrating especially when I play some part and then the recording is not usable because of this timing issue. Can somebody help with this?
by PreAl on Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:27 pm
tomnosek wroteDid anybody already solve the timing issue with MIDI in playback? (notes are placed earlier than recorded) I am currently having the same issue and its really frustrating especially when I play some part and then the recording is not usable because of this timing issue. Can somebody help with this?

Have you read through the entire thread? There are a number of suggestions already here. Things have already been covered like doing a loop back test.
https://youtu.be/lOI1Thjc1Ts

Let us know exactly what you've done so we don't need to repeat what's already been said, and the more detail you can give us the better with your issue.

It would also be helpful if you can update your signature with your full specs. I am assuming you are using 5.5.2

Thx.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by BobF on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:30 pm
How 'bout a negative value for Record Offset?

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by roland1 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:33 pm
Several things you can do. If the timing is accurate and equally offset either early or late, you can go into the inspector and adjust the track delay by the amount of ms that the buffer is set at (you look for that in the device settings. It will then tell you, for instance, that at 128 you will have 286 samples offset or 4.5 ms or so.

So you can set the track delay by whatever the amount you are hearing the MIDI played late or early.

Secondly, you can go into the preferences and change the "offset" for both MIDI and Audio based on the particular buffer size you are using. You would usually use a negative, like -286 samples, but you can also set it positive.

Those are two ways of dealing with it. If you are getting drift, where notes are just random and not in time at all, then you probably need to look at the DAW, the cables, the interface and how you are getting the info in. Low buffer settings are best for MIDI recording. I had this issue with MIDI cables going into my focusrite. I switched to a Roland UM-ONE mkII and now it works perfectly to record my drums and everything else.

That's all folks. :)

tomnosek wroteDid anybody already solve the timing issue with MIDI in playback? (notes are placed earlier than recorded) I am currently having the same issue and its really frustrating especially when I play some part and then the recording is not usable because of this timing issue. Can somebody help with this?

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by charlesparente on Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:26 pm
I have experienced this problem also---VI midi note timing is fine while playing the notes in during the recording pass---but the notes are not playback timing is off.

Check 'Record Panel' and make sure input quantize is turned off. After an hour of head scratching i discovered input quantize was turned on by mistake. Problem solved for me.

48 postsPage 3 of 3
1, 2, 3