48 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
When I record MIDI in S1 all my MIDI data is recorded too early. During recording everything sounded perfectly in time though. Is there a way to set up latency compensation and make S1 place the notes where I actually played/heard them while recording?

I am an advanced player and I usually play in time even at the largest buffer settings (block size) as I make up for the latency myself by shifting my playing a bit early. Switching to a smaller buffer setting is not going to work in larger projects due to cpu overload.

Many thanks in advance

Studio One v5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
UA Apollo Twin MKII via TB3
LG 32GK850G via TB3 @ 2560 x 1440 / 144 Hertz
Apple Magic Keyboard 2 via Bluetooth
Apple Magic Mouse 2 via Bluetooth
Logitech G502 Lightspeed via USB
Various MIDI Keyboards via USB
by Tacman7 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:29 am
Good to know what type of interface you're using and put your info in your signature.

Usually not a problem with midi latency, it's audio latency that's causing most problems.

But notes not being in the right place now...

There was a thing like that long time ago that you find a checkbox in midi settings and try checking it.

It will say something about use Timestamp that would fix that.

Also if you have midi ports and emulated midi ports try different ones.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Bbd on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:48 am
Good points Tacman7.

To the OP, check all your MIDI settings.
Here is what mine looks like:

Yes, please put your specs in your signature so we know what system you are on!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by iadaslan on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:23 am
Ok for some reason I can't seem to figure out where to update my signature. There's nothing related to that in the account settings...

Anyhow, for now here's my system:

Studio One 4.5.1
macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (18F203)
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4080 MB
1TB SSD internal
4TB SSD Samsung external via USB-C
5TB HDD LaCie external via USB-C
UAD Apollo Twin MKII via Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C Adapter

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
by iadaslan on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 am
Bbd wroteGood points Tacman7.

To the OP, check all your MIDI settings.
Here is what mine looks like:

Yes, please put your specs in your signature so we know what system you are on!

Mine look exactly like yours :?:

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
by Lokeyfly on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:52 am
iadaslan wroteOk for some reason I can't seem to figure out where to update my signature. There's nothing related to that in the account settings...

So you have it always in place.
Select User Control settings (at top), then profile, then Edit Signature.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by scottyo7 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:19 pm
With replies from Lokeyfly and me (which even contains a link to this), you'll be set. 8-)

Please create a signature* with your PC, SW and HW specs and versions, so we might better help you... now and in the future.
See mine or another users at the bottom of their posts for an example.
You can create one in your User Profile.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by roland1 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:00 pm
Your gear list is flawless. There should be no technical reason why you cannot achieve the performance you seek, unless:

1) There's something wrong with Studio One MIDI recording
2) Your settings are not adjusted for your system and controller latency.

Whichever it is, I want to know the answer as well.

Sometimes when recording V-Drum tracks, the MIDI notes recorded seem to be out of time by more than what I was hearing in my headphone cue. I'm not a drummer, but I often wonder "Am I really this bad?" :D

Hope we get to the bottom of this.

I would suggest downloading a trial version of Reaper and recording into that. Then compare results. Is one DAW performing better than the other MIDI wise? (any DAW will do, obviously).

If you know that your meter, timing and attack are spot on—based on past real world performance—then you can make an informed assessment of the issue that you can better trust.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by iadaslan on Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:11 pm
roland1 wroteYour gear list is flawless. There should be no technical reason why you cannot achieve the performance you seek, unless:

1) There's something wrong with Studio One MIDI recording
2) Your settings are not adjusted for your system and controller latency.

Whichever it is, I want to know the answer as well.

Sometimes when recording V-Drum tracks, the MIDI notes recorded seem to be out of time by more than what I was hearing in my headphone cue. I'm not a drummer, but I often wonder "Am I really this bad?" :D

Hope we get to the bottom of this.

I would suggest downloading a trial version of Reaper and recording into that. Then compare results. Is one DAW performing better than the other MIDI wise? (any DAW will do, obviously).

If you know that your meter, timing and attack are spot on—based on past real world performance—then you can make an informed assessment of the issue that you can better trust.

Hey roland1,

MIDI recording works flawless and just as desired in the following DAW's on my machine:

Cubase 10.0.30
Reaper 5.979
Ableton 10.1
FL Studio 20.5 (with monitoring set to "mixer" in prefs)
Pro Tools 2018.12.0
Bitwig 2.5
Logic Pro 10.4.5

Studio One is the only exception unfortunately...

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
by roland1 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:50 pm
I guess that's that then.

P.S. What attracted you to Studio One?

(Don't say "the MIDI timing" cause I own the copyright on that punchline. :D )

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Jemusic on Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:35 pm
Midi timing is fine for me in Studio One. I assume you are talking about virtual instruments. I also run Ableton and it is the same for me in both programs.

You need to set the buffers for minimum while recording midi data in. I run at 32 samples usually. Playing early to compensate for latency is not the way to do it either. You don't need to.

Tip: Use the global disable for all plugins while recording midi data. This will allow super low latency settings while recording midi data in and give you the best response time.

You also need to fine tune your midi offset settings as well in order to get midi and audio to line up perfectly. That is what it is there for.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by iadaslan on Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:19 pm
Jemusic wroteMidi timing is fine for me in Studio One. I assume you are talking about virtual instruments. I also run Ableton and it is the same for me in both programs.

You need to set the buffers for minimum while recording midi data in. I run at 32 samples usually. Playing early to compensate for latency is not the way to do it either. You don't need to.

Tip: Use the global disable for all plugins while recording midi data. This will allow super low latency settings while recording midi data in and give you the best response time.

You also need to fine tune your midi offset settings as well in order to get midi and audio to line up perfectly. That is what it is there for.

No other DAW forces you to switch buffer sizes or bypass plugins when you want to record MIDI on the fly. Especially when you can handle latency yourself. This behaviour is super counter intuitive. The most basic function a DAW is supposed to supply is to record things and have them recorded exactly where you recorded them.

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
by niles on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:05 am
iadaslan wroteThe most basic function a DAW is supposed to supply is to record things and have them recorded exactly where you recorded them.
Have you done a MIDI loop back recording already to check if note messages line up how you expect?

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Nip on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:12 am
There is in preferences Advanced -> Midi setting for Record Offset.
If you record midi live in a consistent way - I guess you can use that.
If you have 100 samples pdc in one project and 200 samples in another - StudioOne compensate that - and only variable is the internals delays in system and how you play.

Otherwise there is delay setting for each track as well. Using external gear I use to play midi early to compensate each gears individual response time - then setting is negative.

Haven't used playing live though, only when rendering audio for external gear. You do have a nice value for total pdc used at lower left - so you can use that as a reference what to set in a track.

But on the wrench(top left arrange view) there is a "ignore Plug-In latency " setting - if that is the same as global bypass of plugins - not sure - or what you are asking for, it might be.

Hope you get some new ideas to best record in StudioOne....

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by roland1 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:08 am
Yelling: HOLD ON, EVERYBODY.

Okay. Let's try to get something established:

1) The MIDI Roulette Wheel:
Is this a problem of RANDOM notes NOT LANDING where they were played? or

2) MIDI LATENCY or EARLIENCY:
Is this a problem of ALL notes LANDING either LATER or EARLIER than played?

This is important because if this is a matter of individual note accuracy (#1), then OFFSET is useless because the problem is not a latency issue between note attack and when it is registered in S1.

Instead, it would be a kind of Roulette Wheel affect on your playing where S1 randomly places notes in the timeline at intervals based on its own discretion, which may include waiting for certain other priority processes to finish first, or whatever.

If that's the case, then it's a MAJOR problem. If it's just an offset issue, then ALL the notes should align perfectly by simply setting the offset to take latency into account.

My reading of the situation is that the OP is experiencing situation #1, the MIDI Roulette Wheel.

I have experienced both. Only one of them I can fix.

by Jemusic on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:34 am
I get from the OP that all midi notes are landing or being recorded earlier than played. Not random. Studio One does not place random notes early from what I can tell. I actually feel that midi timing in Studio One is very good.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by roland1 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:03 am
OP (ladasian): Can YOU answer this question so the rest of us won't have to guess what you mean? Is it #1 or #2?

roland1 wroteYelling: HOLD ON, EVERYBODY.

This is important because if this is a matter of individual note accuracy (#1), then OFFSET is useless because the problem is not a latency issue between note attack and when it is registered in S1.

Instead, it would be a kind of Roulette Wheel affect on your playing where S1 randomly places notes in the timeline at intervals based on its own discretion, which may include waiting for certain other priority processes to finish first, or whatever.

If that's the case, then it's a MAJOR problem. If it's just an offset issue, then ALL the notes should align perfectly by simply setting the offset to take latency into account.

My reading of the situation is that the OP is experiencing situation #1, the MIDI Roulette Wheel.

by iadaslan on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:40 am
roland1 wroteOP (ladasian): Can YOU answer this question so the rest of us won't have to guess what you mean? Is it #1 or #2?

roland1 wroteYelling: HOLD ON, EVERYBODY.

It's #2 - ALL notes are placed early. And that actually kind of makes sense cause I have to play them early due to latency. The problem really is that when I shift my playing early during recording what I hear is perfectly in time. But when I play back my recording everything I played is too early in context to the rest of the music. S1 should be able to make what I hear while recording and how it sounds when playing back the recorded data line up because literally every other DAW somehow manages to do that.

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3
by roland1 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:20 am
Well, that's good news then.

Perhaps try this approach:

IF you have a keyboard with onboard sounds, use only those sounds for monitoring, not the VSTi which is giving you latency. That way, as with my V-Drums module, you'll be getting onboard, real-time sounds with which you can better judge your performance.

After that, you can switch the VSTi on and it should be in perfect time with your playing. If it is not, then it may also be #1. :)

Hope that is useful info.

iadaslan wrote...
It's #2 - ALL notes are placed early. And that actually kind of makes sense cause I have to play them early due to latency. The problem really is that when I shift my playing early during recording what I hear is perfectly in time. But when I play back my recording everything I played is too early in context to the rest of the music. S1 should be able to make what I hear while recording and how it sounds when playing back the recorded data line up because literally every other DAW somehow manages to do that.

by iadaslan on Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:34 pm
roland1 wroteWell, that's good news then.

Perhaps try this approach:

IF you have a keyboard with onboard sounds, use only those sounds for monitoring, not the VSTi which is giving you latency. That way, as with my V-Drums module, you'll be getting onboard, real-time sounds with which you can better judge your performance.

After that, you can switch the VSTi on and it should be in perfect time with your playing. If it is not, then it may also be #1. :)

Hope that is useful info.

iadaslan wrote...

Hmm... Really appreciate your effort but that's an absolute no go for me. Farewell Studio One...

Studio One v5
10.14.6 (18G4032
2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB
1TB internal SSD
4TB Samsung SSD via TB3
5TB LaCie HDD via TB3