51 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
I'm Windows based and this feature has never worked for me. I'd hoped it would stop dropouts (as per it's name) however it always creates more dropouts when I turn it on.

I've tried this on over 4 different PC/Audio card combination with the same results.

I've created a set of 8 tests which progressively tax the CPU using only native S1 plugins. In the video I show the results where pops and crackles start happening at Minimum, Medium and Maximum dropout protection settings.

phpBB [video]

Based on my testing I think this feature doesn't work at low latency on Windows (buffer for test was set at 256)

If anyone else is interested in running the tests PM me and I'll send you a link to the test projects.

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by scottyo7 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:38 pm
Dropout Protection settings will vary from setup to setup.

Try watching this and see if it helps. 8-)

This guy has usually has a different approach than I was thinking which often helps me figure stuff out the last 22%. ;)

P.S. You'll get better if you... Please create a signature* with your PC, SW and HW specs and versions, so we might better help you... now and in the future.
See mine or another users at the bottom of their posts for an example.
You can create one in your User Profile.
Last edited by scottyo7 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by gregghart on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 pm
I don't ever use Drop Out Protection until recording vocals.

When it's active and you have a channel with a CPU hungry VST set to monitor, it taxes the system. So I turn it off until doing vocals, or I don't have monitoring on heavier taxing channels.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by alancloughley on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm
scottyo7 wroteDropout Protection settings will vary from setup to setup.

Try watching this and see if it helps. 8-)

This guy has usually has a different approach than I was thinking which often helps me figure stuff out the last 22%. ;)

P.S. You'll get better if you... Please create a signature* with your PC, SW and HW specs and versions, so we might better help you... now and in the future.
See mine or another users at the bottom of their posts for an example.
You can create one in your User Profile.

I've updated my footer, thanks for the link, pretty sure I watched that a few years ago when my Quantum interface had the same dropout protection issue on a different PC. Will watch it again though. I've tested this a lot and the feature makes things worse for my typical templates on all the machines I've tried it on. Is there anything to figure out with this though? You pick a dropout level and a base buffer size it's all pretty simple. Do you get less dropouts at low latency with dropout protection if you push the CPU and set it to anything other than minimum? It pretty well always works best for me at Minimum (i.e. off)

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by roland1 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:41 pm
You've got lots of computing power.

Truth is, it's kind of a quirky, unreliable feature in my experience. And yeah, the more protection I sought, the greater the dropouts. Made no sense.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by shanabit on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Confirmed here, it is broken

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by alancloughley on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:07 pm
roland1 wroteYou've got lots of computing power.

Truth is, it's kind of a quirky, unreliable feature in my experience. And yeah, the more protection I sought, the greater the dropouts. Made no sense.

Never had any joy with it either, my Quantum got stolen so I was pretty happy to use the money to buy the Studiolive 32 I just track audio through the desk now and set buffers high, best move I ever made wanted Dropout Protection for VST instruments but it doesn't work so might try a slave PC or buy a piano ;).

by alancloughley on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:13 pm
gregghart wroteI don't ever use Drop Out Protection until recording vocals.

When it's active and you have a channel with a CPU hungry VST set to monitor, it taxes the system. So I turn it off until doing vocals, or I don't have monitoring on heavier taxing channels.

Yup it seriously kills CPU for any VST on channels you monitor on which is why I was so overjoyed when someone stole my brand new Quantum interface! It was never a workable solution to track drums with VSTs through it without disabling chunks of my mix template.

by alancloughley on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm
shanabit wroteConfirmed here, it is broken

Mac too, darn if it worked on a Mac I might have moved over to the dark side ;)

by roland1 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:41 pm
But hey everybody, don't let on about this issue.

Let it be our little secret. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by musicchamber on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:35 am
I'm not seeing this behaviour on my system.
I have a huge track count and huge amount of heavy weight plugins and my system is stable...

If I don't use dropout protection and set my buffer size to 128 then on playback the cpu goes into 100% clipping a few times but...

If I set my buffer at the same 128 size and then turn dropout protection on, and set it to maximum then my composition plays back at approx 50% cpu and no clipping or dropouts happen on the cpu.

EDIT

Just tried recording a virtual instrument with dropout protection set at max with a buffer size of 128, and it's not possible to play / record the VI because CPU goes into clipping, even though my CPU is only at 50% when the VI monitoring is switched off.

I Should have payed more attention to the original post, sorry about that.

Best
Scott
Last edited by musicchamber on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by robertgray3 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:25 am
musicchamber wroteI'm not seeing this behaviour on my system.
I have a huge track count and huge amount of heavy weight plugins and my system is stable...

If I don't use dropout protection and set my buffer size to 128 then on playback the cpu goes into 100% clipping a few times but...

If I set my buffer at the same 128 size and then turn dropout protection on, and set it to maximum then my composition plays back at approx 50% cpu and no clipping or dropouts happen on the cpu.

Best
Scott

What happens when you are taxing the CPU, using Dropout Protection, and then monitor a single VST instrument etc? Alan is also talking about that situation.

You can test it too, his tests are well laid out in the first post

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by musicchamber on Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:42 am
Edited my original post.

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by waltong on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 am
This seems like a pretty fundamental dropout protection function bug. Has anyone submitted a support ticket?

DAW: Studio One Professional 6.5
by Bbd on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 am
Keep in mind that you may be using plugins that can't be helped using dropout protection.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... toring-FAQ

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by roland1 on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:48 am
Is there a short list of instruments with which DP works perfectly?

Bbd wroteKeep in mind that you may be using plugins that can't be helped using dropout protection.

by Bbd on Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:50 am
I don't know of a list like that. It would be great to have one!
Sorry.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by alancloughley on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:22 am
Bbd wroteKeep in mind that you may be using plugins that can't be helped using dropout protection.

In the test projects I used only 4 plugins, the native S1 Compressor, Pro EQ, Open AIr and Mai Tai. As far as I know these are all compatible with Dropout Protection.

Are you aware of any compatibility issues with Dropout Protection? They all report < 3ms latency.in the performance monitor window and appear with a green power icon in the low latency signal path..

Regardless I think most plugins are compatible even those with > 3ms latency, S1 just bypasses them when the channel is monitor enabled but this would not impact Dropout Protection performance..

Dropout protection does crash S1 with a small number of plugins such as Console 1 which are definitely not compatible with S1 unless Dropout Protection is switched OFF.

I spoke to Softube when I noticed the issue and they replied with this:

"I have done some testing and talked to my colleagues and it seems to be a Studio One related issue.We are working together with Presonus on solving the issue, it's hard to say if and when there will be a fix though."

It's a bit academic though as the feature has never worked for me so it's not worth switching it on.

by alancloughley on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:48 am
Bbd wroteI don't know of a list like that. It would be great to have one!
Sorry.

Ah sorry think you were maybe talking about instruments, Instruments that use a lot of CPU are a big problem as anything on the low latency path(i.e. with monitoring enabled) with dropout protection ON creates dropouts. Normally you get better results with dropout protection OFF Robert has listed a couple of these in other posts on the forum.

It's the same problem for all type of VSTs FX or instruments it's just most VST FX even premium ones don't tend to tax the CPU as much as premium synths (with the exception of Acustica Audio plugins they are beasts!) so it's less obvious.

Dropout protection uses a second low latency buffer for the monitoring path and both synths and/or FX on audio tracks if they are quite taxing on the CPU cause more pops and crackles with dropout protection on.

by waltong on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:44 am
alancloughley wrote
Bbd wroteI don't know of a list like that. It would be great to have one!
Sorry.

Ah sorry think you were maybe talking about instruments, Instruments that use a lot of CPU are a big problem as anything on the low latency path(i.e. with monitoring enabled) with dropout protection ON creates dropouts. Normally you get better results with dropout protection OFF Robert has listed a couple of these in other posts on the forum.

It's the same problem for all type of VSTs FX or instruments it's just most VST FX even premium ones don't tend to tax the CPU as much as premium synths (with the exception of Acustica Audio plugins they are beasts!) so it's less obvious.

Dropout protection uses a second low latency buffer for the monitoring path and both synths and/or FX on audio tracks if they are quite taxing on the CPU cause more pops and crackles with dropout protection on.

Has anyone started a support ticket to get this bug fixed? I am experiencing the same pops and dropouts as well, with a fast machine and plenty of RAM. Seems new with the 4.5 release. I didn't experience it prior.

DAW: Studio One Professional 6.5

51 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3