51 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
waltong wrote...
Has anyone started a support ticket to get this bug fixed
?...

I'm sorry. We don't endorse that kind of behavior around here. :D

Actually, I think if we were doing a class action suit, this would be equivalent to building a case wherein an aggregate of multiple accounts of agregious, aggravated battery and mental assault to the minds of the plaintiff(s) and their musical workflow would lend an uncontestable weight for moving forward to file an actionable suit.

Which reminds me, I better bring my suit to the cleaners.

[Um, I think what I'm trying to say is that we are at least building a case for potential future change and that by doing it here, publicly, we are at least aware of each others' plight.]

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Bbd on Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 am
"Has anyone started a support ticket to get this bug fixed ?..."

If you are experiencing issues on your system, you are the one to report it to Support.
There are way too many variables with your system compared to others.
It is good that we report our issues in forum threads which can help create a concensus (or not).

The bottom line is that everyone is encouraged to contact support for your individual issue so that they have a chance to help fix it. If it is a bug, they will report it. If they can't reproduce it, they may not.
So as we state many times in this forum, if you have a bug that can be reproduced, please report it.
:thumbup:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by waltong on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:47 am
Didn't realize asking if someone submitted a support ticket yet (still not answered) would make some people uncomfortable... Interesting :roll:

DAW: Studio One Professional 6.5
by roland1 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:56 am
waltong wroteDidn't realize asking if someone submitted a support ticket yet (still not answered) would make some people uncomfortable... Interesting :roll:

Not sure if you're responding to my post, but if you are, you would also require a sense of humor because I like a hybrid approach of blending the serious with the ridiculous, because that's actually closer to a real life experience anyway. :) Look around...

If it's not about me, then I guess we don't have an issue.

Me, I didn't open a support ticket because I didn't start the post.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by Skaperverket on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:24 am
roland1 wroteNot sure if you're responding to my post, but if you are, you would also require a sense of humor because I like a hybrid approach of blending the serious with the ridiculous, because that's actually closer to a real life experience anyway. :) Look around...

I've got many favorite forum members in these forums, but currently you're my no 1 fave, Roland. I really am laughing out loud of some of your absurd and excellent posts.
by roland1 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 am
Excellent. My work is done here. :D

Skaperverket wrote
roland1 wroteNot sure if you're responding to my post, but if you are, you would also require a sense of humor because I like a hybrid approach of blending the serious with the ridiculous, because that's actually closer to a real life experience anyway. :) Look around...

I've got many favorite forum members in these forums, but currently you're my no 1 fave, Roland. I really am laughing out loud of some of your absurd and excellent posts.

by Steve Carter on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:37 pm
I enjoy Rolands posts too but my last attempt to roll along with his humorous banter in trying to diffuse a heated debate resulted in both Roland's and my post being removed by the Mods - perhaps understandably... Sigh!
I guess some people still don't appreciate Monty Python (or Roland!). Keep smiling! Even if it is through gritted teeth sometimes... :D

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by alancloughley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:32 am
waltong wroteDidn't realize asking if someone submitted a support ticket yet (still not answered) would make some people uncomfortable... Interesting :roll:

Sorry I've been a bit busy of late! I've submitted a support request for the issue today as it looks like it's a common issue.on both Mac and PC, I'll post support's response when I get one.

To be honest the Dropout protection feature should be removed from S1 as it doesn't work and makes dropouts marginally worse if anything,

There are a lot of videos showing the feature and praising it's merits but it's all fantasy and self deception ;) also it's massively buggy with a lot of 3rd party plugs and on top of creating more pops and crackles it makes S1 unusable under load due to massive delays selecting monitor on tracks.

I'd go as far as to say it's total Snake oil based on my testing on a large number of setups!

Been resisting in the hope things would improve but for now I'm throwing in the towel and building a slave PC for VST instruments and probably also buying into UAD to run heavy bus FX, Love S1 for so many reasons but S1 is not great at running VSTs of any sort FX or instruments at low latency even with slight improvements in 4.5.2..It's unworkable for me with a darn fast overclocked recent Intel 6 core!

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by markrobotham on Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:57 am
I assume when drop out protection is set to minimum is that classed as off? I know drop out protection creates havoc with synths like omnisphere going all out of sync!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 10 Enterprise 21H1
    ASUS TUF B450-PRO GAMING
    ASUS VP28U 4K Monitor
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core
    64GB DDR4 3200MHZ
    MSI GeForce RTX 3060 GAMING X 12G
    Zoom UAC-8 Audio Interface
    Studio One 6 Pro (Latest Version)
    Notion 6 (Latest Version)
    Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime

[ YouTube ] [ Omnisphere Libraries ]
by roland1 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 am
markrobotham wroteI assume when drop out protection is set to minimum is that classed as off? I know drop out protection creates havoc with synths like omnisphere going all out of sync!

This has always confused: why is there no "off" for drop out protection? Seems like we don't have a choice in the matter.

I have a theory about this: I believe that we're all living in a computer simulation that has been orchestrated by Presonus and that we are all just bits of AI code who think they exist to make music—or a stream of factory manufactured noise particles set to a danceable tempo, if that's your thing.

Yes. Now I know why 4.51 seems so strangely unreal... It's all making sense.

by alancloughley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am
markrobotham wroteI assume when drop out protection is set to minimum is that classed as off? I know drop out protection creates havoc with synths like omnisphere going all out of sync!

Yes when you select minimum that should always turn dropout protection off.

The settings are a bit confusing as selecting a higher setting might still not turn DP ON as it depends on your main buffer size so it might be higher than the cut off level for that level of Dropout protection I think the cut offs are 128/512/1024/2056,

A good way to check is to look for the Z option in the mixer if there is a black or green Z on the 2 bus that means it's available to activate. Clicking and making it green turns low latency monitoring on for audio tracks.

Sorry that's possibly confused you more but basically S1 decides whether dropout protection should be available, you then have the option to turn it on for audio by clicking the black Z on 2 bus and making it green.

Ok I haven't confused you enough though ;) the VST instrument setting is not based on the green Z selection on the mixer 2 bus but is controlled directly by the tick box in the options second tab of the audio options. It adheres to the same logic though and if there is no Z on the 2 bus it will not do anything..You can tell with VST instruments as with tracks as a green Z will appear under VST tracks when DP is active and a track is monitor enabled.

Clearer on off would have been better but I guess it's illogical to switch it on if the standard buffer is higher than a "protection" buffer.

I guess two buttons one for VST instruments and one for audio on the main menu would have been clearer with a hover message saying that as you've set stupid settings in the audio tab it would be bonkers crazy to let you turn dropout protection on so we've greyed out the buttons.

While they're at it maybe they could rename the feature Dropout creation ;)
Last edited by alancloughley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by PreAl on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:44 am
The UI is quite slick visually but I really think more can be done when it comes to clarity for the user. I hope Presonus could consider some UI improvements or enhancements, maybe just some more feedback via the UI.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by alancloughley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:09 pm
PreAl wroteThe UI is quite slick visually but I really think more can be done when it comes to clarity for the user. I hope Presonus could consider some UI improvements or enhancements, maybe just some more feedback via the UI.

Maybe two green icons on the 2 bus one with the instrument (usual keyboard) icon one with the audio (the wave) icon (in a box with a z maybe underneath to signify low latency)?)

Having them in two spots so far apart is really confusing. I's fine once you know how it works but it's hardly intuitive.

All a little academic though as turning it on causes dropout issues, crashes and poor GUI response killing your workflow.

...... ah .....unless you want to be 100% sure it's off ;)

by alancloughley on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:19 am
A possible workaround that doesn't use dropout protection but is a quick buffer switch solution hack allows me to track at low latency and run other plugins, I still have to render a lot of VST instruments to audio a fair bit but a lot less!!

1. Get any free mouse macro software (e.g. TinyTask)

2. Record a mouse macro which
-Switches off all FX inserts (the Power icon bottom left corner of the arranger pane)
-Opens audio settings
-Sets main audio buffer to something low 64.128
-Assign a hot key to the mouse macro

3. Record a second mouse macro which
-Opens audio settings
-Sets main audio buffer to something high say 1024
-Enables all FX inserts
-Assign a different hot key to the second mouse macro

You then have two hotkeys one to enable low latency mode with Insert FX turned off where you can record more instruments at the at low latency and another to turn on high latency mode for playback once you've finished recording an instrument.

This helps a lot for me as I use a fair number of insert FX and these impact dramatically the CPU left to run VST instruments at low latency. Globally turning off all insert FX across the project means lots of CPU freed up to track the instruments at low latency without pops and crackles. You can extend the macros to turn off and on instruments if you have a lot of tracks. I asked for a more sophisticated version of this built in to S1 to replace dropout protection. I wish they'd implement it!

Try it manually first before fiddling with mouse macros to see if it lets you track VST instruments on your typical projects..If you render to audio a lot it might be enough to allow big VSTs to run, hope this helps someone else!

by Lawrence on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 am
Dropout Protection is not a panacea and what you see on the CPU meter at any given time is not always a direct reflection of it being on or off. All it really does is play everything not being actively monitored with a higher secondary playback buffer, allowing you to use a lower latency input buffer for monitoring things you're recording.

The higher secondary playback buffer reduces the "overall" cpu strain.

If your input buffer can't handle the load of whatever you're recording or monitoring, it still can't handle that load, and the CPU metering you see at that point may actually be that, an overloaded core due to that. Because the CPU meter goes up doesn't actually mean that you're looking at the same thing you were before.

If you get dropouts and crackles the most logical first thing to do is to open the Performance Monitor and start unchecking things until it stops to try to determine what's causing it, like maybe that 10th instance of Amplitube or Autotune.

P.S. Some audio devices and drivers, Focusrite in particular, don't do well with Studio One's dual latency audio engine and may cause artifacts when DP is set to anything but minimum.
by roland1 on Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:53 am
Lawrence wrote...
P.S. Some audio devices and drivers, Focusrite in particular, don't do well with Studio One's dual latency audio engine and may cause artifacts when DP is set to anything but minimum.

It would have been funny as hell if you'd said "...Presonus in particular..." :)

But I'm sure they got that part right.

Good to know a little bit more about the DP function though.

Just a thought: would YOU consider writing a new S1 pdf manual?? :D

by alancloughley on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:22 pm
phpBB [video]

Dropout protection appears to use just ONE CORE for all tracks record enabled and on the low latency path.

In the video I run a quick test based on 8 Mai Tai slowly monitor enabling them with dropout protection ON set to Medium(the sweet spot for DP on my PC)..

Many synths or VST FX plugins can easily max a core and if you add FX via a bus that adds to the load on the single core. Worse still you often get dropouts well before you max the core so it doesn't take much!.

The problem is that the code running the dual buffers taxes the CPU exponentially more that it would running the same plugins on a single buffer so much so that when Dropout is switched off you can pretty well run ALL the tracks at a low latency buffer setting without pops and crackles but with Dropout protection ON under load it almost always runs worse with A SINGLE TRACK running at low latency and ALL THE REST at a HUGE buffer setting.

Think about that for a second, it's bonkers crazy people!

The Dropout protection idea sounds great but in practice it just doesn't work with any chunky 3rd party VST plugins both FX and Instruments. I'm hoping they can iron this out and find a way to make it work better as it could be an awesome feature if it worked in the real world..

For now though unless you are using plugins that don't tax the CPU much you will get less pops and crackles with dropout protection OFF. Switch it off by default and if you run into problems then it's worth a try. If you use anything vaguely CPU intensive DO NOT enable it by default it is likely causing more problems that it solves.

If you run very light VSTs and have a decent PC though it is likely you'll be able to run everything at low latency anyway without turning DP on so I'm not sure how useful it is.

by rodshort on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:29 pm
How/where do you turn off Dropout Protection? I see it can be set to Minimum but, I'm not sure how to turn it off.

Studio One Pro (Former long time Sonar user), Dell XPS Desktop, i7, 32 Gb RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Focusrite Saffire Octopre Mk II
by alancloughley on Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:45 pm
rodshort wroteHow/where do you turn off Dropout Protection? I see it can be set to Minimum but, I'm not sure how to turn it off.

Minimum is OFF :)

by alanoconnell on Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:07 pm
Perhaps dropout protection was my issue here

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=35529

will try
Thanks

S14 Professional 4.5.1
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac17,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4.01 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4