9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Anybody hear or know of when their is going to be an update to Presonus Symphony Orchestra?

Seems to be a littlr forgotten about and left on the top shelf to collect dust lol........
by frank.crow on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 am
Thanks for posting this, my PSO is just sitting there collecting dust. It could be pretty cool with an update and some more bells & whistles. It was one of those situations where I had some money to spend and it was at a good price so I bought something I really didn’t need. For now I just get what I need from GPO 5.

Garritan has some great orchestral products, easy to multi out & great on CPU.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by david p osborne on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:32 am
Funny enough I own Garritan also but found the strings sound really synth like and a touch plastic, they can sound good.
I think the Contemporary Strings for PSO is quite good I think and they should build off of it especially with solo instruments as the classic ones are awful and sound like brass instruments haha...
I just think they should take more care of it as it could be a decent library.

I am going to invest in the Cinematic Strings Studio range anyway, as I own Keyscape and really need an organic sounding library to compliment it.
Fed up of going cheap and buying other stuff it is just a waste of money.
by david p osborne on Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:21 pm
Whilst we are on the subject of Garritan, have you any tips of how to make it sound more natural? I hear you can but it takes a fair amount of work and Garritan doesn’t really have any videos or tutorials.
by frank.crow on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:52 am
david p osborne wroteFunny enough I own Garritan also but found the strings sound really synth like and a touch plastic, they can sound good.
I think the Contemporary Strings for PSO is quite good I think and they should build off of it especially with solo instruments as the classic ones are awful and sound like brass instruments haha...
I just think they should take more care of it as it could be a decent library.

I am going to invest in the Cinematic Strings Studio range anyway, as I own Keyscape and really need an organic sounding library to compliment it.
Fed up of going cheap and buying other stuff it is just a waste of money.

Thanks for this
I’m going to try and trade out PSO for Garritan on just my string section to see if I can get a more natural sound. Thanks for the tip.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 am
david p osborne wroteWhilst we are on the subject of Garritan, have you any tips of how to make it sound more natural? I hear you can but it takes a fair amount of work and Garritan doesn’t really have any videos or tutorials.

I know what you mean about the scarcity of tutorial information where Garritan is concerned. There is a good tutorial on groove 3 by Eli Krantzberg but even so I am left with having to borrow information from other sources and trying to adapt it to GPO5.

I myself really need to learn how to fluently use the mod wheel to manipulate expression. That seems to be the ticket for realism.

I also recently learned about unorthodox layering of sounds from a deconstructions video on “The Last Samurai” soundtrack. I now augment my Koto with a harp and it sounds deceptively great.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by david p osborne on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:08 am
To be honest with I pretty much given up on GPO. I was trying to salvage something from it last night by using compression etc but some of the sounds are just unusable. They are so sharp it hurts your ears. In the solo Cello you can hear a buzzing near the top end of the notes, like a synth buzzing sound it is really irritating. It is a shame but it is what it is, will just have to make do for now.
by frank.crow on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:27 am
david p osborne wroteTo be honest with I pretty much given up on GPO. I was trying to salvage something from it last night by using compression etc but some of the sounds are just unusable. They are so sharp it hurts your ears. In the solo Cello you can hear a buzzing near the top end of the notes, like a synth buzzing sound it is really irritating. It is a shame but it is what it is, will just have to make do for now.

Wow
I think I might’ve heard some of those same imperfections.
Thanks for the confirmation. I’m really going to reevaluate my strings choice. I’m a heavy cello user and I need a big warm sounding cello section.

GPO5 also tends to have some harshness in the horns.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by david p osborne on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 pm
Yeah it just sounds quite unnatural. When you switch on the Portamento it just sounds awful, the scripting is terrible.
I am the same I love Cello but these libraries are big let down.
Cinematic Studio Strings is the way to go for me.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1