28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
This is truly bizarre. I saw it before, but it seemed to go away. Now it's happening regularly this evening. When I have S1 open *and* it's the active window, I get fairly high pitched noise and whine in my right speaker only. If I select any other application, like switching to my open browser window, or even opening up an item on my taskbar, the sound goes away.

That's weird enough, but here's where it gets even weirder: this happens even if the volume knob on my Studio 1810 is all the way down! The volume knob does not change the level of the noise. It's not a loud noise, but it's audible. It's kind of a hissy kind of noise, but there is also a lower constant note. It's actually a B note, so somewhere around 985 Hz or so.

So...what the hell? I can't even imagine what this could be.

Studio One 6, Presonus Studio 1810 USB, Windows 11 64 bit.
by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm
Okay, one more weird aspect of this. If I disable all inserts, the sound stops. But if I go channel by channel, turning each one off and back on, the sound never stops. It only stops if I disable ALL inserts. bleep...

by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:06 pm
And yet another weird thing: if I mute the Master fader, the noise continues! The only way to get rid of it, so far, is to disable all inserts.

by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Good lord, this is strange. So, I went through each channel and turned off the inserts one at a time. Each time, the sound got a little quieter. As I turned them back on one at a time, the sound grew a little louder each time. This is simply the fact that the inserts are enabled that is creating the sound, and the sound happens even if the Master is muted. I think it's time to open a support ticket. This is one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

by Neiby on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm
And yet even stranger: I discovered that if I change my block size from 128 to 64 or 256, the sound goes away. It's only happening with a block size of 128.

EDIT: It also goes away if I increase dropout protection to Medium. I currently have it at Minimum. The noise happens at Minimum or Low.

EDIT 2: It doesn't actually go away at 64 or 256. It does get a little quieter and the pitch changes. 64 doubles the pitch, 256 halves the pitch. So weird...

by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:56 pm
This is turning into one of the strangest problems I've ever had to troubleshoot. The noise continues even if I press the Mute button on the 1810, but if I then disable all inserts in S1, the sound goes away. It's as if the inserts have some way to bypass the mains and get sound directly to the outputs of the Studio 1810.

And to make it stranger: while listening to the sound, the sound temporarily goes away if I'm resizing the Mix window, but as soon as I stop moving my mouse, the sound is back. I even wondered if this was some bizarre display issue where certain colors on my screen were causing certain frequencies to emanate from my display monitor, but turning off my monitor does not change the sound. I guess it still could be something like that. I'll try unplugging my monitor cable from the computer while listening to the sound.

by sebastianholtzer on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:12 pm
:XD: Serious...have you been at a techno party??? These aftereffects should stay just for a few days, so don`t worry or was it Hardcore??? :XD:
If not: you could put a spectrum analyzer on the Main or an EQ and then disable PlugIn by PlugIn and if you can`t find the bad one try to restart SO. Good Luck
by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 pm
I also wonder if this could be related to CPU usage, since with the inserts enabled on this particular song, my CPU is running over 30%. If I disable the inserts, the CPU usage drops and the noise goes away.

Could it possible that CPU usage is introducing noise onto the USB bus itself? That might explain why I still hear the noise with everything muted.

by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:21 pm
I think this may actually be the problem: CPU-induced noise on the USB. A google search turns up other people having the same problem over the years.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -load.html

by Jemusic on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:29 pm
What speakers are you using? How have you got them connected to your interface. e.g. which outputs. Are you using balanced cables to connect the speakers to the interface. Sometimes these things can make strange unwanted sounds go away as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:33 pm
I'm using ADAM A5X monitors. I go balanced TRS out from my Studio 1810 to a sub, then XLR out of the sub into the monitors.

From my reading, it sounds like a possible grounding problem inside the computer itself that allows CPU noise to bleed into the USB. One possible solution is to use a USB cable with a ferrite bead around it. Unfortunately, I don't have one of those, so I'll have to run to the store and buy one to see if it helps.

by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:44 pm
I never heard this sound when I used my much older AudioBox iTwo, so I just put it back on my system and now it's dead quiet. No noise. I think it's an electrical/grounding issue, perhaps caused by the external power supply for the Studio 1810. The Audiobox iTwo is USB powered. It is absolutely dead quiet now. Hmm...That's unfortunate for me.

by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 pm
I'm going to see if I can find something like this locally and give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-iDefender3 ... 01N3XKOLG/

I just saw a YouTube video of someone who had a similar issue and something like this solved it.

EDIT: I have ordered one of those. I can't find anything similar locally, so I just went ahead and ordered it. I guess we'll know on Monday afternoon whether this solves the problem. I have a feeling it will.

by Neiby on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:46 pm
Hmm...since the noise is a constant level no matter what the volume level of the interface is, another solution would just be to turn my monitors down to where I hardly hear the noise and then turn my interface up. lol But then I have to re-balance my speakers and my sub, which I finally have just right.

by Jemusic on Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:56 pm
Neiby wroteHmm...since the noise is a constant level no matter what the volume level of the interface is, another solution would just be to turn my monitors down to where I hardly hear the noise and then turn my interface up. lol But then I have to re-balance my speakers and my sub, which I finally have just right.

I would not do this. You may end up driving a very high output signal then from the interface which could run into clipping etc. You are better off having the speakers being sensitive and keeping the output from the interface driving them lower in level.

I would keep on the path of reducing the noise. Also glad to see you are using all balanced leads too. I have seen some situations where unbalanced connections can introduce all manner of strange noise as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Neiby on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:01 pm
The USB isolator did not work. :( In fact, it made the noise much, much worse. So I tried moving the power supply to a different outlet and that seemed to help a little. At least the noise is much less audible. I'm not sure what else I could do. For now, I think that will be good enough.

by SwitchBack on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:35 pm
With the information you've given, could it have to do with processor load and perhaps your computer's power supply?

Worth a try to see if any other cpu hungry application can trigger the noise.
by Neiby on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:41 pm
Yeah, I think it is definitely related to CPU load. I'll see if I can find some load tester app and give it a try. It did get a little better when I moved the power supply to a different outlet. It didn't make it go away, but it helped.

by Jemusic on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:52 pm
It is interesting that moving the power supply to another outlet lowered the noise. Do you have any form of mains filter you could try plugging the 1820 power supply into. Try moving the power supply around a bit. Sometimes they can radiate and induce noise and hum and things into the audio signal flow. I have seen it happen.

There could be some sort of earth loop happening via the sub etc. Is the sub woofer earthed for example. Are the Adam speakers earthed? Are you able to temporarily unearth a power connection? e.g. via a double adapter with its earth pin removed. This should only be a temporary test of course. If it stops the issue then the earth wire in the XLR leads can be disconnected in order to stop the earth loop etc..

by Neiby on Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:56 pm
I'll give that a try. I don't think I have ground lift adapter, but I'll see if I can find one. Everything should be grounded to the same ground. The only thing that is two-prong is the 1810. I'll play around with my connections and see what I can come up with.

28 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2