10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Im kinda thinking this isn't possible but wanted to check with the forum to see if anyone else might have tried this.
If using only Studio One, not even a Presonus Interface, a 3rd party interface, but using Studio One only to record with (not even UC Surface to set Gains, etc), is it possible to do tracking using the Studio One internal FAT Channel? Specifically the Compressor/Gate, etc that's located at the top of each channel, above the "Insert" Addition area for each channel.
Its easy to get to that area, turn pieces on/off, and make changes to each FAT Channel section, but not seeing to have any adjustment make a difference for what actually gets tracked.
I mean, I can run a line/instr/mic level into channel 27, press the record button for that channel, and see a steady signal going into it, like a sustained note on a synth. Then, can hear a change when adjusting the Threshold/Ratio on the channels FAT Channel compressor levels for said channel, but while recording is happening, no change in level is happening, no change to whats being tracked... nothing at all, not even a subtle change.
Obviously, those settings can be made/done with the Presonus UC Surface program with that same channel set to Post Fader, and those settings changes are brought over into the FAT Channel in Studio One... BUT..
.. Is it at all possible to have access to and actually "Use" the FAT Channel settings for Tracking, laying down a track, using Studio One, alone, nothing else from Presonus, at the same time.
Last edited by michaelwalter on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreSonus Studio One 6.1.1 Pro-64 Bit
Lenovo ThinkServer TS140, Win 10 64Bit, 28GB RAM, (4) SansDisk 480 SSD
Quad Core-3.20 Gigahertz Intel Xeon E3-1225, (1) SandDisk 240 SSD
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, Firewire & Ethernet connection
RM32AI, RML16AI, FaderPort, Melodyne Celemony, JBridge, too many VSTs to list
SW5E AVB, iPad 4 x2, Netgear NightHawk AC1900 Router, Avid ElevenRack, ADAT Edit
Coleman LS3 Line Switcher, Goldpoint SA1X Stepped Volume Attenuator, pre Monitor switch
ATC SCM25A PROs 3-Way, Alesis Monitor Ones 2-Way, Avantone MixCubes 1-Way, ISO-PUCK 76's
by Tacman7 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 pm
You can print your fx if you want, just open the inputs on the console and put insert there.

Safer to just record then render with fx. Bounce to new track will render the inserts.

Inputs.gif

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by michaelwalter on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:10 pm
Thank you!
Was hoping to do it in the same way as one has always tracked, vs adding another step to it to get the wanted result. I'm still testing as well, hoping that's not the only way to get what's being looked for, using just the Studio One software only, for any interface.

Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller, Firewire & Ethernet connection
SW5E AVB, iPad 4 x2, Netgear NightHawk AC1900 Router, Avid ElevenRack, ADAT Edit
Coleman LS3 Line Switcher, Goldpoint SA1X Stepped Volume Attenuator, pre Monitor switch
ATC SCM25A PROs 3-Way, Alesis Monitor Ones 2-Way, Avantone MixCubes 1-Way, ISO-PUCK 76's
by matthewgorman on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 am
To print the fat channel processing, regardless of interface, Tacman's method is the only one that I am aware of. If you are using a Presonus mixer, you can set the input channel to post, and that will record the fat channel from the mixer.

Otherwise, you can track using the fat channel on an S1 insert, and if you like the settings, rt click the track header in arrange view and transform the track to bake in the fat channel.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by michaelwalter on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm
Yeah, with the Presonus mixer, Ive always been able to do the Post fader in UC Surface and i could print the gate/compression, etc to the SO channel... but without the Presonus device, using a 3rd rack unit to get the signal into Studio One, was hoping for an easier way for inbound tracking of a light compression so a more even level of a take would happen.. but if this is the only way with the gear available, then so be it. Thank you for looking into this with me.

by Tacman7 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:19 pm
michaelwalter wrote was hoping for an easier way for inbound tracking of a light compression so a more even level of a take would happen.. but if this is the only way with the gear available, then so be it.

I get the feeling from your response like too bad it can't be done?

Putting your plugin in the input section will do exactly what you want.

Not any harder than putting it on the track.

Does your console show the input/output buttons?

Those can be hidden I believe.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:55 pm
I read it the same way.

Here is how you do it... https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/R ... ording.htm

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by michaelwalter on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm
Fantastic!!!
I have no issues with what Ive got, with all Presonus gear, but a friend has a different interface and trying to get them using the cool stuff SO offers.
Tacman7, Thank you! Reading your 2nd post shown that as closer to what was being looked for, so he could set a descent input compression on things like bass and some vocals that have a huge diff in velocity, without having to add the 2nd step in to bounce/render the compressed version to a diff track.
darrenporter1 thank you for sharing the link as well. Looking at the original steps a 2nd time I was able to grasp it, but just in case someone needs the additional steps for the next time something like this is requested.
Much appreciated!

by darrenporter1 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Cool. Yeah I'm not as opposed to printing effects like compression and EQ as you are recording. Especially if you are recording yourself or someone you record ALL the time and you always end-up with the exact same conservative compression settings and baseline EQ curve every single time (especially like printing a HPF). No harm in including those up front at all to save some work and/or cpu cycles down the road. What you don't want to do is print wild extreme comp or eq settings or time-based stuff... those are a no-no in my book. Heck I don't even print any time-based effects while recording guitar!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by michaelwalter on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:58 pm
Same thoughts..
Including recording guitar... I always record a "dry/clean" channel while recording the musicians mic'd amp/cab of choice, so i can always re-amp if needed/wanted.. so the player doesnt need to replay the same thing with a different mic or amp or cab, etc. to get the 'other' sound.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1