5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've just moved from Pro Tools to Studio One and i'm loving it so far, however there are a couple of things i'm trying to get my head around...

I've got Studio One set up to 'Return to Start on Stop' which is the setting I always like to keep it on during editing. The only thing I am struggling with is the fact that instead of jumping back to the original position on playback it jumps back when I hit stop. So if I am zoomed in on something for closer inspection during playback and I need to quickly stop once I spot something that needs adjusting I then lose my position. In Pro Tools it would stop at that place and then return when hitting play. It would also give me the opportunity to manually adjust the playback cursor to continue from the place I stopped.

Is there a way to stop this from happening? Like a return to marker on playback? I guess I could just set up a shortcut and switch between 'Return Start on Stop' but that would take some getting use to.
by markminassian on Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:21 pm
I don't know if you ever figured this out, but to stop the cursor from returning to the previous position it was in when you stop the transport do the following:

1) At the top of your screen click "Transport" on the menu bar
2) Click "Options"
3) Unclick "Return to Start on Stop"

The cursor should now remain in the position you stopped the transport.
by kdm on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:11 pm
Setup key commands to turn on/off "Return to Start on Stop". Also look in key commands (or the menu) for the option to turn on/off and place a return point. I'm not in the studio and don't recall the exact name, but you can setup a repeat/start point for playback to return to, move it at will, and turn it off. Great for editing/working on a specific section.
by stefanrauch1 on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:07 am
would be cool if you could setup a modifier key to suspend "return to start" momentarily.., like Shift + Space

OS: Win10 x64 || Software: Studio One Pro [latest version]
Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X || Asus Prime X570-PRO || 64GB DDR4 RAM || Asus Dual-RTX2070S-A8G-EVO || UAD2 Octo & Duo PCIe
Peripherals: RME Fireface UFX II (+2x ADA8200) || Faderport Legacy || Atom || NI Komplete Kontrol A25
Audio Settings: 44,1/48kHz, 256 Samples, DP Off, 64 Bit
by Nip on Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 am
Closest way of PT on that is probably to Enable Play Start Marker - this marks a position where playback always start until you move that marker to another spot.

This is available as key commands - both to enable and another to set position to set start play marker cursor to current cursor location.

That done - disable Return to start on stop.

You will get playback always start at a chosen location and have cursor stop where it is when stop is pressed. Next tart playback start at Play Start Marker again.

Then you combine these things together is a short macro command - so lets say set play start marker cursor to current playback location, and then enable play start marker.

There is also a key command Locate Mouse Cursor - which sets playback cursor to where mouse is hovering anywhere in arrange view. So then combine three commands - Set Mouse Cursor, and Set Play Start Marker, Enable Play Start Marker in sequence.

Or whatever you find most convenient - since some things toggle, others don't. But since enable play start marker toggles - it always set to current playback position as enabled - which means if moving play start marker you can do a macro key command twice and that has play start marker to that position.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***

5 posts
Page 1 of 1