9 posts
Page 1 of 1
This has been a bug for several years now and has not been fixed.

I've submitted a support ticket but others may wish to verify that it happens on other systems.

This happens on a variety of machines and versions of both OSX and S1.

What happens it that if you use MIDI layers and duplicate regions, the file size and save times explode. I have had up to 100,000 events in a VERY simple drum track.

It is VERY simple to replicate:

1. Create an instrument channel using (say) Addictive Drums
2. Record a 2 bar phrase from a MIDI keyboard
3. Duplicate it (say) 20-40 times, the length of a song
4. Add a new layer, as if trying a new drum pattern
5. Go to step 2

After you've done this a few times the app will slow to a crawl and save times will become incredibly long. See the example song I attach.

If you make a copy of the .song file and change the extension from .song to .zip and unzip it (warning! it takes a long time!), you will see that there are 23,904 .musicx items in the Performances>Addictive Drums 2 folder.

Since my workflow is almost exactly this, it's a killer bug for me.

Attachments
example.song
(10.79 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
by snb1 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 am
johnbrownlow wroteThis has been a bug for several years now and has not been fixed.

I've submitted a support ticket but others may wish to verify that it happens on other systems.

This happens on a variety of machines and versions of both OSX and S1.

What happens it that if you use MIDI layers and duplicate regions, the file size and save times explode. I have had up to 100,000 events in a VERY simple drum track.

It is VERY simple to replicate:

1. Create an instrument channel using (say) Addictive Drums
2. Record a 2 bar phrase from a MIDI keyboard
3. Duplicate it (say) 20-40 times, the length of a song
4. Add a new layer, as if trying a new drum pattern
5. Go to step 2

After you've done this a few times the app will slow to a crawl and save times will become incredibly long. See the example song I attach.

If you make a copy of the .song file and change the extension from .song to .zip and unzip it (warning! it takes a long time!), you will see that there are 23,904 .musicx items in the Performances>Addictive Drums 2 folder.

Since my workflow is almost exactly this, it's a killer bug for me.

Confirmed. In the gif, there are two additional layers underneath the top layer so the layer that Im duplicating would be the 3rd layer. As i'm holding the duplicate command key, you'll see that the duplication will start to slow down.

Attachments
Jan-18-2019 07-43-58.gif

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by riniehuigen on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:52 am
Yes... something wrong there. I can confirm as well. I tried a 5 minute song this way and on layer 4 it became absolutely slow and unusable. I was wanting to use this technique as well. song file is 25 mb now and took minutes to save and minutes to open.

I tried the same with shared duplicates and at least the filesize does not explode. Though at layer 5 now it became too slow to use. Saving and opening was fast because of the filesize.

As a workaround you could do your proces on separate instrument tracks pointing to the same instrument. Then when you are done on the seperate track(s) you can add new layers to the desired "main" track and drag and drop the contents of each track to a separate layer. I tried and this works. It will be a little work but with the results you want with normal filesize. Where the size was 25 mb it's now 97 kB :-)

And yes.... that is a workaround. It appears there's something wrong with the duplicate process in this context.

Computer: Windows 10, i7-10700K, 16Gb mem, Studio One Pro 5.3 & Cubase Pro 10.5. Audio Interace: RME Babyface Pro FS, BOSS GT-001. Guitars: Blade RH4, Takamine GN51CE. Microphones: AKG C3000, Rode NT1A, Rode M3.

Band: http://www.idrismuziek.nl
by bluesdelux on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm
hey johnbrownlow,

Has there been any resolution to your problem? I just experienced a very similar issue.

I had only one guitar track and a 24 measure Impact XT track. When duplicating one measure of the Impact XT drum loop, the duplication process slowed down tremendously and I even got the spinning disc.

Now when I save, it takes a few minutes or more and autosave interrupts my process of recording, etc. I've turned that off, but the entire song takes forever to load and save.

A few of my other songs seem to be fine, but I really haven't worked much with them to verify if my issue is software related or just a corrupted track or file.

I just bought Studio One 4 Artist about a month ago, created about 5 songs so far and this is the first time I've had any issues with it.

Studio One Artist 4.5, 4.6, 4.62 and 5.2
Mac | High Sierra 10.13 and Ventura | Atom | Faderport 2018 | EZDrummer2 | Nektar 25LX+
by dadasound on Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:35 pm
I have a similar problem ...
I do 3 to 4 hour recordings with a lot of MIDI notes on two tracks.
Songs take very long to save, even longer to load.
The systems shows a lot of musicx entries during save and load.
My guess : it is caused by the additional note expression data.
Can this feature ( note expression ) be deactivated,
for those who do not use it AND want fast save and load times ??

Best, Jan
by PreAl on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:51 pm
Please update your signature with your specs.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by assafweiss on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:10 am
Same here -
A tiny Song having 1 Kontakt inst over 2 tracks, in each there are 3 long midi layers (6 min).

Save time is over 5 seconds,
in during a "packaging ... musicx" message is prompted, and S1 is not responsive until save is done.

Once deleting the layers and keep only the top one, the Save time becomes back again less than a sec.

What is this "packaging" long process over such a minimal song?
Is it solvable?

Studio One Pro 5.1
Mac Pro | Catalina 10.15.7
UAD Apollo Thunderbolt
by Tacman7 on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:49 am
Welcome to the Forum!

Some of the things I do takes processing time so I have to wait, like export mixdown.

The time varies depending on the capabilities of the machine.

3 long midi tracks can contain a lot of data. Doesn't really use any processing in the song just gets run through the instrument.

But saving requires disk processing and probably compression so takes some amount of time.

Five seconds doesn't seem like an excessive amount of time, but it can sure seem like it.

Check last post in this link re: musicx

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=34947

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by craigbuy on Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:17 am
riniehuigen wroteYes... something wrong there. I can confirm as well. I tried a 5 minute song this way and on layer 4 it became absolutely slow and unusable. I was wanting to use this technique as well. song file is 25 mb now and took minutes to save and minutes to open.

I tried the same with shared duplicates and at least the filesize does not explode. Though at layer 5 now it became too slow to use. Saving and opening was fast because of the filesize.

As a workaround you could do your proces on separate instrument tracks pointing to the same instrument. Then when you are done on the seperate track(s) you can add new layers to the desired "main" track and drag and drop the contents of each track to a separate layer. I tried and this works. It will be a little work but with the results you want with normal filesize. Where the size was 25 mb it's now 97 kB :-)

And yes.... that is a workaround. It appears there's something wrong with the duplicate process in this context.

Its August 22 and Im getting this problem.
I now roughly know what the problem is and how to workaround it thanks to your and others posts and vids etc... Thanks very for that by the way.

S1 seems to write so much data during save even though almost nothing has changed in the project. If I check system resources there is almost zero load on anything.

Did anyone ever find a solution ??

9 posts
Page 1 of 1