9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi folks this is probably going to come over as a dumb question but here goes!

I have a Roland AP-300 Pro, Subsequent 37 and TR-8S. I am trying to record a live session in which the Subsequent 37 and TR-8S are recorded as an audio channel and the TR-8S is sending MIDI signals to a percussion instrument track in Studio One to play additional percussion sounds. This is working perfectly and from a 'live' point of view, I am achieving the sounds that I want. However, during my 'performance', I fade in and out the instrument track in Studio One using a fader control on my AP-300 - again, this works fine in a live context but when I record the session, the fade in and outs are not recorded so that when I mixdown and export the song as an MP4 music file, the percussion instrument track is at a fixed level.

Is there a way of recording the fader inputs so that my recordings faithfully reproduce my live session?

Many thanks,

Steve
by matthewgorman on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:15 pm
If everything is working correctly for control, then you need to put the channel in question into either touch or write (write is probably better) to capture the automation. The button to do that is in the inspector, or at the very bottom of the mixer channel in the console.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
S1Pro V2 , Melodyne Studio 4, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves , RM16, Studio 192, DP88, Faderport, Central Station Plus, Yamaha HS50 Monitors, Sceptre 6-8 Monitors, Temblor 10.
by steverichards on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:03 am
Thank you, Matt, I appreciate you taking the time - I shall look into this armed with a little more insight!

Regards,

Steve
by steverichards on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:34 am
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your advice, I now have it all working perfectly! The solution was to simply find out exactly how to set the right mode on each track, in this case 'Write' when recording and 'Read' when playing back and this is achieved by clicking on the 'Auto-Off' button at the foot of each track when in Console view. For anyone else struggling with this, the attached image should help!

My biggest frustration with learning all this stuff is that I don't know what the real name of the features are that I need to search on! I guess this is the same with any new interest and in another life I am heavily into a very technical subject but there, I know the jargon ....

Regards,

Steve

by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:11 am
My biggest frustration with learning all this stuff is that I don't know what the real name of the features are that I need to search on! I guess this is the same with any new interest and in another life I am heavily into a very technical subject but there, I know the jargon ....

was probably my biggest struggle starting out. Just bring the questions here, you probably aren't the only one struggling.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
S1Pro V2 , Melodyne Studio 4, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves , RM16, Studio 192, DP88, Faderport, Central Station Plus, Yamaha HS50 Monitors, Sceptre 6-8 Monitors, Temblor 10.
by PreAl on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:21 pm
I notice you have an A300:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27865

Studio One Pro 4, Faderport 1, Atom, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers). A bigly amount of other gear.
by steverichards on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:11 am
Thank you for the link, very useful. I currently have the A-300 Pro set up as two devices but having read your link, I may well look into using the 'Omni' setting.

Thanks.

Regards,

Steve
by Lokeyfly on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 am
steverichards wrote.....My biggest frustration with learning all this stuff is that I don't know what the real name of the features are that I need to search on.

One helpful item is to see what is available to automate, is by checking the control link at top left. In your screen shot, it is showing as "Control27", and it's instrument is the A-300 surface. If it reads any parameter you select via the mouse pointer, or by some other means, it will display that parameter which is then available for automation. if you opt to create an automation track using that parameter, use the hand symbol right next to the display in the control link, and drag it down to a track. The automation will then be available at that spot. Play around with it. Definately makes those parameters that can be available (which are most) very easy to see, and create automation for.

For MIDI or instrument tracks, you'll likely be performing control parameters within the events (clips) themselves, and not whole automation tracks, which primarily work with audio tracks. If you render a instrument track to audio, you'll then have the ability to use the automation lanes/tracks. You can even copy automation from events to lanes, and vice-versa.

As you now know, the "write"/"read" feature, as in most DAW's works well on any channel you want to write automation to.

The other features will often unfold as you explore, or just ask here for help.

Good luck, Steve.

S1 Pro 4.1, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 PCI-e, Faderport 8, Controllers: Novation SL MkII, Roland JV-90, M-Audio Axiom, Guitar controllers: Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Sampler: ESI-32, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01.

My music

On Bandcamp

On YouTube
by steverichards on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:52 am
if you opt to create an automation track using that parameter, use the hand symbol right next to the display in the control link, and drag it down to a track. The automation will then be available at that spot. Play around with it. Definately makes those parameters that can be available (which are most) very easy to see, and create automation for.

Thank you, this is very useful information indeed - I appreciate you taking the time. This all opens up a whole new level of experimentation!

Regards,

Steve.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1