12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I used to be able to do things like using the mouse to turn knobs and be able to see the results in essentially real time. But lately, it's like I'm playing a game with a 5 to 10 fps frame rate. I'm getting a lot of lag. So, for instance, in Pro EQ, when I turn any of the knobs, I used to see a smooth change in the parameters. But now it lags really bad.

Any ideas as to how I might fix this?
Last edited by donaldfincher on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Win 10 64-bit, 4 Core i7 @ 2.80GHz: 16Gb DDR4 SDRAM, Audiobox USB, Studio One 3.5 Pro 64-Bit (purchased Feb 18, 2018, 1 month before the grace period...)
StudioLogic numa compact 2 keyboard, Nektar sustain pedal.
by WaterlooSunset on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:48 am
This should not happen. Try to isolate.
Does it do the same thing outside of S1 with any program?
Do you have a program that is a VST that also has a standalone component like EZDrummer, or a synth or ????? your can test inside and outside of S1?

Is the mouse movement fluid otherwise. What reacts normally and what is sluggish inside and out of S1?

Win 8.1, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 480Gb SSD, 2x1TB WD Blacks. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 4.1.1
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, BFD Eco GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A
by Skip Jones on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:30 pm
Not trying to be obvious but have you done an overall health analysis for your computer?
by Funkybot on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:52 pm
donaldfincher wroteHello,

I used to be able to do things like using the mouse to turn knobs and be able to see the results in essentially real time. But lately, it's like I'm playing a game with a 5 to 10 fps frame rate. I'm getting a lot of lag. So, for instance, in Pro EQ, when I turn any of the knobs, I used to see a smooth change in the parameters. But now it lags really bad.

Any ideas as to how I might fix this?

If it's just a super CPU intensive project, that might be normal. But if it's not, then I'd look at 1) video card drivers (maybe you updated recently and need to go backwards) or 2) just what else is going on with your PC in general. For instance, I had a HD die on me a few weeks back and it was under-performing for weeks beforehand. Also, this might be obvious, but if you're on Windows, do a restart. By default, Windows 10 won't fully shutdown when you select that option. Restarts, on the other hand, will actually clear everything out and start you fresh. So when ASIO performance really starts suffering here, I do a restart, which usually clears up the problem.
by JohnBW on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 pm
What plugins are you running? I have noticed that Linear Phase type plugins can really have an impact in real-time, due to the required look ahead buffer.

DAWs: Studio One Pro v4.1.3 and others ... Other: Notion 6; Overture 5; Band in a Box; Plugins: AIR Complete; Akai VIP; Biotek 2; Cakewalk; iZotope Iris 2; Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE; SampleTank 3/4; SONiVOX; SynthMaster everything; Syntronik; u-he; Waves; many others OS: Win10 Pro x64 1803 System: Home-built custom PC; i3 3.4Ghz; 8GB DDR3; Intel HD Graphics; Dual Monitors; Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 250GB; WD 1.0TB 7200rpm; PCIe FireWire Audio: M-Audio FW-410 Controllers: A-300PRO; Alesis VX49; CME Xkey Hardware: Roland JV880; JV1080; XP-30; Alesis QS-6; Casio CZ-1000
by donaldfincher on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm
Thanks for ya'lls replies!

@WaterlooSunset
> Does it do the same thing outside of S1 with any program?
No, everything else seems to be working fine.

>Do you have a program that is a VST that also has a standalone component like EZDrummer, or a synth or ????? your can test inside and outside of S1?
Would Audacity count? Otherwise no. But I did test Audacity and the interface is operating in a snappy and responsive fashion. No lagging at all.

>Is the mouse movement fluid otherwise?
Yes, all the time.

>What reacts normally and what is sluggish inside and out of S1?
Inside of S1, everything that I do with the mouse where I'm dragging something is very sluggish. So, selecting a portion of an event, turning knobs, dragging faders are all sluggish. I move the mouse about an inch on screen, then the fader instantly jumps. I move another inch, and another jump. What I'm describing happens in one fluid motion of the mouse. It's like S1 is responding in slow motion, like what you see when you have a strobe light on in a room.

@Skip Jones
I actually did a fresh install of the operating system on my computer last week. It's been after this fresh install that the problem started.

@Funkybot
This problem happens even with an empty project. I can start a new project. Add one track, and still I get lag on everything I do with the mouse.

Thanks for the suggestion of reloading instead of shutdowning. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

@JohnBW
I don't have any plugins installed except for what comes with S1. And the issue happens even with an empty project with only one empty track in it.

Win 10 64-bit, 4 Core i7 @ 2.80GHz: 16Gb DDR4 SDRAM, Audiobox USB, Studio One 3.5 Pro 64-Bit (purchased Feb 18, 2018, 1 month before the grace period...)
by JohnBW on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:04 pm
If you just did a fresh install of the OS, you should not be seeing this issue, given your system specs.

Here is a PC optimization guide for Windows 10: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... indows-10/

You did not mention if you are running any security software, or using a network connection. Security software can sometimes interfere with normal operations, so maybe you could disable your network connection and then any security software to see if that may be the cause. Suggest disabling your network while you are ruling out the security software, so as not to leave yourself vulnerable online.

I assume that your copy of Windows updated all of the hardware drivers correctly when you did the fresh Windows install? Things like the current system drivers, video drivers, etc are important to the health of the system.

DAWs: Studio One Pro v4.1.3 and others ... Other: Notion 6; Overture 5; Band in a Box; Plugins: AIR Complete; Akai VIP; Biotek 2; Cakewalk; iZotope Iris 2; Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE; SampleTank 3/4; SONiVOX; SynthMaster everything; Syntronik; u-he; Waves; many others OS: Win10 Pro x64 1803 System: Home-built custom PC; i3 3.4Ghz; 8GB DDR3; Intel HD Graphics; Dual Monitors; Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 250GB; WD 1.0TB 7200rpm; PCIe FireWire Audio: M-Audio FW-410 Controllers: A-300PRO; Alesis VX49; CME Xkey Hardware: Roland JV880; JV1080; XP-30; Alesis QS-6; Casio CZ-1000
by PreAl on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:08 pm
Keep your display drivers up to date.
Keep your audio interface drivers up to date.
Temp disable your anti virus.
Try turning off plugged in hardware one by one to see if it fixes the issue.
Use latencymon.
Use the force.

Studio One Pro 4, Faderport 1, Atom, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers). A bigly amount of other gear.
by Funkybot on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 pm
donaldfincher wrote@Skip Jones
I actually did a fresh install of the operating system on my computer last week. It's been after this fresh install that the problem started.

@Funkybot
This problem happens even with an empty project. I can start a new project. Add one track, and still I get lag on everything I do with the mouse.

Thanks for the suggestion of reloading instead of shutdowning. Unfortunately, the problem persists.

This is important information. There's definitely something seriously wrong if that's your experience in an otherwise empty project with only one track. And it happened after an OS install?

First thing's first;

1. You said you just reinstalled the OS. Is it fully up to date? If not, start there. Also, what made you reinstall the OS? Something acting up before? Don't fix something that ain't broke, and if something was broke, maybe it still is.

2. Now, update your video card driver. Go to the website of whoever makes it and get the latest driver from them. I think this is most likely the culprit (or maybe a dodgy mouse driver) since your talking about lag.

2A. Already have the newest video drivers? Then downgrade back a few versions. Go back at least 3 versions. Does that fix the issue? If not, get them back up to date then...

3. I'll assume your audio drivers are up to date. You know what, let's not assume. Follow the same procedure for display. No difference?

4. Ok, so it's not the display drivers or the audio...go into Device Manager and start disabling things one at a time until you find the culprit. Look at your peripherals like network cards, USB hubs, etc., and just go down the list disabling any extra hardware that might be acting up.

5. BIOS settings...this is a rabbit hole, but have you done anything in your BIOS recently? Is it possible something changed there?

Hopefully something like that does the trick. If not...good luck.
by JohnBW on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:39 am
If you are using a wireless mouse, install new batteries! :idea:

by donaldfincher on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:17 am
Thanks so much for the advise. I really appreciate ya'll taking time to help me out here.

I did try a number of things like disabling anti-virus and what-not. In the end, the issue was solved by updating the Nvidia driver to the latest driver. I was using the driver that Acer recommends for my computer. But, indeed the newer driver fixed the issue.

:punk:
Thanks again!

by gregghart on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am
Rock on. I used to work for Diamond Multimedia back where they were still a thing. I was the Technology Supervisor there. 8 out of 10 times, issues like this were related to the video card drivers.

The other two times, the end user blamed the video card driver, but it ended up being a stupid user trick instead.

Nowadays, video drivers are much more complex and many times are almost a gig in size, sometimes the NEWEST video drivers causes issues as well. I'm glad that wasn't the case in your situation.

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3.5 / 4.1, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7 5820, nVidia 960, Focusrite 18i8. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61, Presonus FaderPort 8.

Please upvote this request for Pattern Editor: https://answers.presonus.com/28571/patt ... 571#q28571

12 posts
Page 1 of 1