5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am new to S1, and I am having a hard time with layers. It makes sense if you are recording one instrument and comping a solo BUT... I often record several musicians at once, with several mics on each instrument/ cabinet. After they do the first take, what is the best way to record successive takes, and then how do you listen to/ stitch together multiple takes. In Sonar (my previous DAW) all layers could be muted or unmuted individually each existing in it's own distinct LAYER, thus all your processing stays with the track, but you simply mute, or enable the takes, or parts of takes that you want to use (first take in the first position, second in the second etc) . It seems S1 doesn't actually have layers. Meaning it will not play material in the same track at the same time. There are no solo/mute buttons on the layers themselves only at the track level. Is this true? I'm guessing there is a way to do this, but I have not seen any mention of it on videos or support. I cannot find much for simultaneous multi-track work flow. Mostly it's just one dude manipulating samples or editing midi. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks and be well,
Ben

"Trying to explain music is like trying to dance architecture"
-Thelonious Monk
by Tacman7 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:40 pm
The way I work...

When you record you have what you recorded on the active layer(the track) and a copy in the inactive layers.

I delete what I record after each take unless doing loop recording, then delete the last take from the active track.

Now you can highlight by phrase or measure on different layers, what you highlight gets put on the active layer.

By double clicking another layer it will put that selection on that layer and that layer will play.

So by looping and double clicking you can audition all the takes and find the one you want.

I do my recording one day and go through the layers and comp the performance on a different day.

Studio OnePro 4 64bit Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram
1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Melodyne Studio
Where 'IS' Shitcreek? and
'WHY' would you go there without a paddle?
by benschmidt1 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:23 pm
Thanks for your reply Tacman, however that is the part that DOES make sense. In that situation you are comping ONE track to find what works best with your other tracks. I'm talking about recording a band playing live all together, and doing multiple takes. There must be a more efficient way than bringing each take of each channel up to the active "layer". And then if you're listening and you come across a weird bridge for example. and you say "what does it sound like on that other take" you have go through and click every track AGAIN. This seems like a huge waste of time. can you toggle through the same layers on different tracks all at once?

Thanks and be well,
Ben

"Trying to explain music is like trying to dance architecture"
-Thelonious Monk
by Tacman7 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:05 am
I used to record wet guitar and dry guitar on separate tracks, so it was the same guitar part.

When the tracks are grouped edits to one track happened to the other track - as I remember.

That might work for you but seems like you would still need to comp each performance separately.

Like the bass messed up take 4 but the cello player missed the intro etc.

Studio OnePro 4 64bit Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram
1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Melodyne Studio
Where 'IS' Shitcreek? and
'WHY' would you go there without a paddle?
by darrenporter1 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 am
What about this...
set up your tracks and send them all to a "take 1" bus. record take 1.
highlight all of those track and do a "duplicate tracks" without events. Send all of those to "take 2" bus and record take 2.
rinse and repeat
solo the buses to audition each take.

Going to end up with a ton of tracks but if you know a take isn't going to make the cut, you can immediately delete all of its tracks and buses.

You'll know you're an old rock-n-roller when the only spandex in your pants is in the elastic waistband. :D

Studio One Professional 4.1.4
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
TASCAM US16x08, FaderPort 8, Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
Hairball Copper, DIYRE CP5, Sound Skulptor CP5176, Peavey VMP-2, Suhr Reactive Load
Lots of self-built tube amps, Carvin, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, PRS, Takamine guitars

5 posts
Page 1 of 1