18 posts
Page 1 of 1
1. I select an audio event

2. I Go to Audio>Normalize Audio (or Alt+N.)

Expected behavior: The audio is Normalized.

Actual result: Absolutely nothing happens.

I can Edit>Undo and the menu says "Undo Normalize." I do that, and I still see nothing happening.

I don't want to debate the merits of whether it is a good idea to normalize. I have a special need and I just want to get it done. Can someone tell me how to make it work? I am on Studio One 4.1.1 Pro.

Thank you,
-Charles

Studio One 5 Professional
RME Fireface UFX
Tascam US-20X20
Tascam US-16X08
Softube Console 1
FaderPort 8
Neve R6 Rack
Neve Portico 511
dbx 560A
by jih64 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:59 pm
I just used it the other day, works fine, as expected, Studio One 4.1.1. Must be something else going on.

You can also select/deselect the 'Normalize' box in the inspector for the track in question.

For every Arthur C Clarke quoter, there is a know-all who likes to quote Arthur C Clarke
- unknown
by Tacman7 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 pm
If a clip is at the right level it wouldn't undergo much change.

Have you tried a much lower level clip?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by SwitchBack on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 am
Also, what do you expect normalize to do?

Normalize will increase the overall level of a clip so that the very highest peak touches 0dBfs. So if that’s already the case then nothing will happen.
by miked7 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 am
What Switchbck said... ^^^ ...It sounds like you've got a big peak somewhere.

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by Fader Rat on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:27 pm
Is there a place where you can enter the amount that you want to normalize an event?

OSX High Sierra, 2013 IMac, 8GB, 1TB, Studio One 5 Pro
BLA modded Digi 002 rack
BLA Auteur Preamp
BLA B12A preamp
Apogee 24/48 converter
Glyph, OWC, external drives
by miked7 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:50 pm
Studio One only Normalizes to 0dB. Then you can reduce the gain from there many different ways: grab the clip gain on the track and pull down, go into the Inspector and enter the amount of gain (you can also Check the Normalize box there), or go into the Macro Toolbar and reduce or add gain in 3 dB increments.

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
by Neiby on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 pm
I'm having the same problem. I have a clip (event) that peaks around -20dB and I want to normalize it. Absolutely nothing happens. It seems to think it was normalized, but no actual change occurred. I zoomed in the looked through the entire clip waveform and see no peaks, yet normalize does nothing at all. It's a little confusing.

Studio One 6, Presonus Studio 1810 USB, Windows 11 64 bit.
by miked7 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am
Can you use the macro mentioned above? Does it let you adjust the gain on the clip?

What if you dissect the clip and Normalize each section as you go. Keep chopping it into smaller and smaller segments until you find the piece that isn't allowing you to Normalize. Maybe there's a noise or pop or something that is peaking and you're not seeing on the wave form?

---- - ----
by Neiby on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am
That's a good idea. I'll give both of those a shot and see what happens.

Studio One 6, Presonus Studio 1810 USB, Windows 11 64 bit.
by John Zapf on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:08 am
I have the same issue. the highest peak in the track is at least 20db below 0 and when I select and normalize nothing happens.
by bartbalint on Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 am
Wondering if you could post the clips that won’t normalize, so I could try them in my setup?

Studio One v6.5, Win11 latest build, Quantum2, Huion Tablet, ATOM, GR55, HPD-20, iRigKeys, Mackie Big Knob, Elgato StreamDeck+, 8-)
by Lawrence on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 am
Normalize reads the entire audio file, even the parts that you've maybe trimmed away and aren't using or seeing. Make a macro like this below for those cases when it doesn't appear to be doing anything for a clip...

- Bounce Selection (Snap "0")
- Normalize
- Edit Volume (Level, uncheck Relative) … although relative doesn't matter in this case as it's always starting at 0 anyway

Or just go into the audio editor and adjust the clip gain until the highest peak is at x dB. Same thing.

Or just bounce it first.
Lawrence wroteNormalize reads the entire audio file, even the parts that you've maybe trimmed away and aren't using or seeing. Make a macro like this below for those cases when it doesn't appear to be doing anything for a clip...

- Bounce Selection (Snap "0")
- Normalize
- Edit Volume (Level, uncheck Relative) … although relative doesn't matter in this case as it's always starting at 0 anyway

Or just go into the audio editor and adjust the clip gain until the highest peak is at x dB. Same thing.

Or just bounce it first.

Thanks Lawrence. Just bounced it first and now it works
by mikemanthei on Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:31 pm
Lawrence wroteNormalize reads the entire audio file, even the parts that you've maybe trimmed away and aren't using or seeing.

Now that's good info. Because I wouldn't have expected that behavior.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by Lawrence on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:15 pm
Edit: Ok, I think I need some sleep. :lol:

First I thought I was wrong about that as it appeared to not do that anymore in v4, but when I tested it again it does. This clip has audio up near 0, the second transient...
clip.png
clip.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
... and splitting or trimming it and trying to normalize the first part doesn't work, so it is still the same..

clip2.png
clip2.png (1.41 KiB) Viewed 8004 times
Sorry for any confusion. My brain is toasted. :mrgreen:
by John Zapf on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:22 pm
I am on Studio one 5 now and normalize still is not working... it has never worked in all the years I have used studio one. And as far as what I expect it to to is to find the highest level of the song and raze the DB so that highest point is 100% JUST LIKE IT DOES IN ALL OTHER DAW's

see pic, that is not normalized to me.

Attachments
this is not normalized to me.JPG
by Jemusic on Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:10 pm
Normalise totally working for me in V5. How are you doing it?

What I did was select the audio event, right click and go down to Audio (Operations specific to audio events) when that menu shows up, left click on Normalise.

Also try doing a bounce first on the audio file before normalising. CtrL(Command) B

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro

18 posts
Page 1 of 1