8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Ok guys, really stumped here. Couple days ago I recorded a live session on utilizing a behringer x32 usb out into my studio one with a sample rate of 48. All was fine and recorded the session with no issues. Now today at home I plug my mac into my home rig which is a behringer xr 18 which I use with my monitors, etc for playback. The XR18 is also set to 48. For some reason, playback in studio one is sped up and pitched up slightly as if there is a bit rate mismatch. But, I've checked and verified that all bit rates matched. I've even disconnected the xr18 and tried using the internal sound on the Mac Pro which I am able to easily switch between sample rates. But, same issue, although I can tell a difference in pitch but it sounds incredibly 'morphed' and never where it should be as the original. I am not sure what to troubleshoot next. One thing to note is that today I updated my macOS to Mojave. I have also triple checked studio one and tried the 'stretch audio' tick box which did not do anything. Any help appreciated Thank you.
User avatar
by rjaneshek on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:10 am
I am having the same issue after upgrading to Mojave. Though I'm using 44.1 as that's the limit of my Studiolive 16.4.2 mixer/interface. See my post below yours. It is a very slight pitch up and all of my new recorded tracks are out of tune with the previously recorded tracks. The new tracks are garbage. I and the performers had spent a lot of time tracking and it seems the tracks are worthless. Hoping we get some answers because I really need to finish this project. Must be some kind of conflict with Mojave.
User avatar
by SwitchBack on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am
It’s wise to check those files with a WAV header inspector/editor. Sometimes files are not properly closed and get no header or one with default data. Toggling the bit rate in the header can solve the problem. Never trash precious recordings because the bitrate seems wrong :)
User avatar
by rjaneshek on Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:53 am
SwitchBack wroteIt’s wise to check those files with a WAV header inspector/editor. Sometimes files are not properly closed and get no header or one with default data. Toggling the bit rate in the header can solve the problem. Never trash precious recordings because the bitrate seems wrong :)

Wouldn't that be sample rate instead of bit rate? I have checked the headers of the files I recorded and they say 44.1kHz just as they are supposed to.
User avatar
by SwitchBack on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:35 pm
Missed this reply. Still, better late than never...

Bit rate (mono) = sample rate x bit depth. So yeah, depending on the file inspector sample rate could be better.

Thinking about the speed/pitch problem the problem is probably a mismatch between the sample rate setting of the interface’s hardware and the reported sample rate in the software (Studio One or Capture). I had this in the past working with a 16.4.2. It was possible to have the mismatch during playback, and during recording too (in Capture or Studio One). Depending on when the mismatch occurred speed and pitch could go up or down. And it was reversible. It was even possible (on purpose) to have a mismatch both times, and getting perfectly fine playback audio. Not recommendable though.

A mismatch during recording resulted in files with the wrong sample rate in the header, fixable with a file editor. A mismatch during playback required toggling the sample rate from UC, and back to the preferred sample rate.

The root cause of these mismatches, my experience, was in the hook-up/start-up procedure. A fixed routine (connect mixer and computer before power up, let the mixer fully start up before starting the computer, and do exactly the reverse for power down) solved it for me. And make sure that system sounds is disabled on a Windows computer, as system sounds can toggle your computer’s sample rate.

So in summary, to fix a fast/slow playback issue:
- a file with a 44.1kHz header playing slow: set the header to 48kHz
- a file with a 44.1kHz header playing fast: fix the interface sample rate mismatch
- a file with a 48kHz header playing slow: fix the interface sample rate mismatch
- a file with a 48kHz header playing fast: set the header to 44kHz
- a file playing at correct speed: all is well, or you have a double fault (unlikely)

Have fun :)
User avatar
by aublpnan on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:15 pm
I had the same problem using my behringer XR18 last week. The recorded wav file was sped down and pitched down.I tried in Studio one 5 and Adobe Audition on both MacOS and Win10 but nothing changed. I think there is something wrong with the audio interface.

Finally, I modified the file header of the wav file by using a Hex Editor, and set the sample rate to a higher value, and then it sounded correct.
User avatar
by shanabit on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Im wondering what the SONG setting for sample rate was set at as well, not just the audio driver

StudioOnePro 5.3
Steinberg MR816X
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 Quad, 14 GB Ram
User avatar
by SwitchBack on Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:49 am
This problem occurs when the interface is on a different sample rate than the computer/Studio One thinks it is or thought it was. A mismatch during recording will result in WAV files with an incorrect sample rate in the header. These files tend to play at incorrect speeds later on; A mismatch during playback will make WAV files with correct file headers play at an incorrect speed.

So first make sure that S1 has the correct interface sample rate (e.g. by toggling, from S1, the interface’s sample rate to a different one and then back to the desired on). When the files still play at the wrong speed then fix the file headers (using a file editor).

8 posts
Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tacman7 and 16 guests