27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Greetings:

I had Task Manager open (and the Resource Monitor) and saw Network activity even though the studio computer was not connected to the internet (I use a USB wireless connector, and only when there are updates to my software).

Yet there S1 listed as trying to upload...something. So is there a way to halt S1 trying to access the 'net (I try to maximize my computer resources (turning off services, etc., but after learning which services to disable and looking at the Task Manager/Resource Monitor, I've exhausted my IT knowledge :D ).

Thanks,

Stephen

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

Newest release, using Studio One

Other music created in Studio One
by BobF on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:23 pm
Do you have Remote Control Support enabled in Options>Advanced>Services?

What about Allow remote control apps to discover this DAW in Options>General>Network?

And Options>General>General>When Studio One starts>Check for Updates?

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by SMcNamara on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 pm
BobF wroteDo you have Remote Control Support enabled in Options>Advanced>Services?

What about Allow remote control apps to discover this DAW in Options>General>Network?

And Options>General>General>When Studio One starts>Check for Updates?

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I did download the S1 remote app on my iPad and tried it once a long while back (and it's pretty cool but I haven't needed remote control since then). Thanks for catching that -- it is much appreciated.

Stephen

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

by PreAl on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:33 pm
Better option is to temp disable the internet entirely by disabling your network adapter/s in device manager. Google for details.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by BobF on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 pm
PreAl wroteBetter option is to temp disable the internet entirely by disabling your network adapter/s in device manager. Google for details.

That works to prevent apps from ultimately gaining internet access, but it doesn't necessarily prevent them from trying.

-

Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
by WaterlooSunset on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:01 pm
The news feed goes to the Internet when you launch S1. I don't think that can be disabled. It downloads the news at launch then its done.
You can block it in Windows Firewall if you find the IPs using Wireshark or netstat -f at the command prompt.
I know it talks to AWS (Amazon).

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by Morticia on Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:18 am
WaterlooSunset wroteThe news feed goes to the Internet when you launch S1. I don't think that can be disabled. It downloads the news at launch then its done.
You can block it in Windows Firewall if you find the IPs using Wireshark or netstat -f at the command prompt.
I know it talks to AWS (Amazon).

Better to firewall it by hostname or even better, set your firewall to prevent S1 from connecting to the internet full stop at an application level, rather than fire-walling by IP address. IP addresses change ... ;)

As BobF said, non of this will stop S1 from trying. AFAIK, there is no way to prevent it from trying, as it is possible that this behaviour is hard coded.
IMO it is better to firewall S1 than having it try to talk to a disconnected NIC.

AMD Phenom quad core | 8 GB RAM | Roland UA-25 EX audio interface | Radeon HD 2400 Pro | Win 8.1 x64 | Studio One Pro v3.5.6 x64

"The queen of spades is a friend of mine, the queen of hearts is a bitch
someday when I clean up my mind, I'll find out which is which"
Gram Parsons
by SMcNamara on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:41 pm
Morticia wrote
WaterlooSunset wroteAs BobF said, non of this will stop S1 from trying. AFAIK, there is no way to prevent it from trying, as it is possible that this behaviour is hard coded.
IMO it is better to firewall S1 than having it try to talk to a disconnected NIC.

I tried BobF’s 2nd and 3rd suggestions (playing with Services is always last 😊) and S1 no longer showed up in the Task Manager/Resource Monitor list. So that seemed to work.

by PreAl on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:47 pm
BobF wrote
PreAl wroteBetter option is to temp disable the internet entirely by disabling your network adapter/s in device manager. Google for details.

That works to prevent apps from ultimately gaining internet access, but it doesn't necessarily prevent them from trying.

An app can't try to connect to a device that does not exist (disabled), that would crash the computer with a null pointer, and there simply is no network stack without a network device driver running. There will be code to check this.

And remember, your network adaptor device driver is going to keep trying to connect to the network/internet regardless of studio one, and that takes resources (unless you disable it entirely, the network stack takes up resources).

But whatever is your poison..

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by BobF on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:51 pm
PreAl wrote
BobF wrote

An app can't try to connect to a device that does not exist (disabled), that would crash the computer with a null pointer, and there simply is no network stack without a network device driver running. There will be code to check this.

And remember, your network adaptor device driver is going to keep trying to connect to the network/internet regardless of studio one, and that takes resources (unless you disable it entirely, the network stack takes up resources).

But whatever is your poison..

I'm less concerned about crashes than stalls waiting for timeouts.

-

by PreAl on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:24 pm
BobF wroteI'm less concerned about crashes than stalls waiting for timeouts.

It's not an either/or scenario.
There won't be crashes or timeout stalls.
If it does crash (say they forgot to write some code to detect if the network stack does not exist) you would know about it straight away, it wouldn't just creep up on you later in the day.

Btw earlier correction, I wrote "crash the computer", I should have written "crash the app".

by aaronramirez2 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am
Use a firewall program to block S1 or something like NetLimiter

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz - 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4M - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti (EVGA) - Presonus Audiobox 96 - Presonus Eris 3.5
by Nip on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:03 pm
Too much software expect you to be online today, I think, real nuissance.

"disable adapter" - well, I found authorizing of my Waves did not work anymore. A lot of software use mac address to identify computer.

Well behaved software should not be a problem though. There are calls to find out if internet is available, and if not do nothing further. But I had this intrusive stuff from Adobe, a library of Foxit reader, and alternative to Acrobate but better - and Adobe stuff just smash into the network stuff like it's not even possible that internet is not here. 12 minutes from startup of computer I had these dropouts in audio - caused by these silly things. I mean not even running applications they have services that check for updates and stuff. I recently killed 7 task scheduler tasks by Nvidia - that related to updates - what is that? I disabled them all, even removed the container.display thing, not needing the Nvidia control panel on daily basis.

I like how StudioOne allow offline help install - not needing to be online while working in daw.
Adobe is starting to realize not everybody is online all the time. They started having a lot of spam in the last year to advertise Creative cloud stuff - we don't want it, most of us. Allow us to buy perpetual licenses again - like we could for Adobe Premiere Pro - now only Elements allow that.

Online - it's a disease....we can get by without any virus/spam intrusive stuff at all - being offline, and just for install purposes go online. I never used anti-virus stuff and never had a problem either. I had more problem with what is called security updates on windows than any virus. And most anti-virus(yes, tested 7 most common ones on trial) revert computer performance back to the 90's or something.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by PreAl on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 am
Nip wroteToo much software expect you to be online today, I think, real nuissance.

"disable adapter" - well, I found authorizing of my Waves did not work anymore. A lot of software use mac address to identify computer.

Well behaved software should not be a problem though. There are calls to find out if internet is available, and if not do nothing further. But I had this intrusive stuff from Adobe, a library of Foxit reader, and alternative to Acrobate but better - and Adobe stuff just smash into the network stuff like it's not even possible that internet is not here. 12 minutes from startup of computer I had these dropouts in audio - caused by these silly things. I mean not even running applications they have services that check for updates and stuff. I recently killed 7 task scheduler tasks by Nvidia - that related to updates - what is that? I disabled them all, even removed the container.display thing, not needing the Nvidia control panel on daily basis.

I like how StudioOne allow offline help install - not needing to be online while working in daw.
Adobe is starting to realize not everybody is online all the time. They started having a lot of spam in the last year to advertise Creative cloud stuff - we don't want it, most of us. Allow us to buy perpetual licenses again - like we could for Adobe Premiere Pro - now only Elements allow that.

Online - it's a disease....we can get by without any virus/spam intrusive stuff at all - being offline, and just for install purposes go online. I never used anti-virus stuff and never had a problem either. I had more problem with what is called security updates on windows than any virus. And most anti-virus(yes, tested 7 most common ones on trial) revert computer performance back to the 90's or something.

If you are serious about performance I'm not sure why you would install Adobe stuff (other than acrobat) alongside your DAW. You can dual boot if necessary.

You can optimize so updates don't run so frequently, and you can configure anti virus to avoid DAWSs to stop realtime scanning of DAW processes and files. There are lots of Nvidia optimizations you can do as well similar to what you describe.. also power management and caching can be optimised.

I have no issues going online but then my PC is heavily optomized, more so than being offline. Updates come with performance updates nowadays.

If I really need to be offline I would simply temporarily disable the network adapters during recording.

The only effective way of being offline is to keep your machine frozen in time. ie Never plug it in to the internet, and never install any further software or applications ever. Not even patches for your fav DAW. Not something I could live with.

by WaterlooSunset on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:06 am
I here ya. Every new Nvidia driver regardless of what install type you select, installs their telemetry.
Adobe is always trying to get the update service to launch at startup.
I am on the Internet, use Acro Reader, Paragon Backup and Chrome (yuck). Also a screencap. Not much at all. I keep Adobe reader up to date for obvious reasons. Same for Nvidia

Every once in a while in the first 20 minutes I will hear some crackling/tearing sound while playing. I look at task manager and voila, Adobe update came back to life or something. I go into task man and stop it and set it to disabled along with whatever else.

Its an effort but it does work.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by PreAl on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:16 am
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/kb/a ... eader.html

There is generally always some tidy up to do when you update software nowdays.. that much is a given. Hence I schedule it.

by Skaperverket on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:55 am
PreAl wroteThe only effective way of being offline is to keep your machine frozen in time. ie Never plug it in to the internet, and never install any further software or applications ever. Not even patches for your fav DAW. Not something I could live with.

Wouldn't an image backup be enough when installing/updating software on an offline machine, you reckon?
by PreAl on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:20 pm
PreAl wroteThe only effective way of being offline is to keep your machine frozen in time. ie Never plug it in to the internet, and never install any further software or applications ever. Not even patches for your fav DAW. Not something I could live with.

Skaperverket wroteWouldn't an image backup be enough when installing/updating software on an offline machine, you reckon?

You should be doing image backups all the time.

Anyway there would be no point.

If your intention is to keep your PC software up to date there is no point in having an offline PC.

If you are just updating in drips and drabs, you would be running the latest software, developed by developers who develop on the latest software/OS builds and throwing it on top of a PC running old software that probably hasn't been fully tested by developers. A mix of old software and new is a recipe for instability.

Software has dependencies and programming libraries that needs to be kept fully up to date and patched for greater reliability... unless you fully freeze the PC and never update.

Of course sometimes updates do go wrong (which is increasing rare nowadays) and that's why you have backups. It's also sensible not to immediately adopt the latest software, wait a few months before installing perhaps (unless it's a security update). The biggest tip I have for stability is to wait at least a year before updating an OS, and to run Windows 10 pro with business ring windows update via group policy (won't apply to Apple users of course).

by Jemusic on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:35 pm
There is another approach which allows a machine to be offline for 99.9% of the time and still be fully updated. Many professional studios do this and I have been doing this for years and it is totally successful. As a pro user this is essential.

It requires two computers for a start to do this properly. Not all can do this I realise. An office machine that handles internet surfing, email, downloads etc.. The studio computer which in my case is still at Win 7.

My Win 7 machine only has Studio One on it. I have turned off every other process so nothing runs in the background. Native Instruments, Waves and Arturia (as well as others of course) often like using their own updaters and in these cases it is the only way to update. I have fitted a strong firewall plus MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) I manually turn these on and off. I engage them, then plugin a USB wireless receiver, update MSE and run the various updates. (including Win 7 which is fully up to date at the moment, but auto update is now turned off so it never asked for an update) Then I remove the receiver and turn off the firewall and MSE.

Studio One can in fact be updated by downloading the latest versions onto a USB stick (via the office machine) and running them on the off line machine. (or via Studio One itself of course) Studio One updates perfectly and runs normally fully offline.

I have contacted Microsoft and they informed me Win 10 (Pro) can be used exactly the same way as I am doing with Win 7.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by PreAl on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:36 pm
Jemusic wroteAs a pro user this is essential.

:roll:

27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2