42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Has anyone had this weird issue with recording MIDI on a track with a VSTi?

I'll start recording, and then I'm done, the recorded MIDI extends to the end of the song with long notes. They don't actually play, but they are on the screen. Also, in the recording those same notes that extend out are typically among the first few notes that are played and sometimes the "MIDI" sticks on them until polyphony runs out. I then go to delete the "extra" note and all is fine again. It's almost as if the note was recorded OVER what was actually played.

Kind of hard to describe, but I can't think of a better way to do so.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by Jemusic on Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:23 pm
I will run some tests today and report back.

How do you stop recording?

For me I have not seen any unusual behaviour so far recording midi in. Or coming out of record. There was an issue prior to 4.1.1 e.g. 4.1.0 that caused some weird behaviour coming out of record on midi tracks. For me it crashed my Mac computer completely. On a Windows machine the program still crashed but remained on screen. Sounds like the note off data was missing in your case. Anyway that has been fixed in 4.1.1

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by gregghart on Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:27 pm
I have tried stopping recording via the "Stop" button my my Faderport 8, and the spacebar on my keyboard. Both ways stopping can cause this to happen. It doesn't happen all the time, but it almost seems like the more tracks I add, the more chance it has in happening.

My current project has 43 tracks. 20 or so are audio tracks that Imported from an old Acid Session. (I'm remaking an older song). The other tracks are all VSTi's. MOST are Kontakt, but I have a couple of Massives and UVIs in there as well. It's an orchestrated piece with heavy guitar, bass and drums.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

by Jemusic on Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:23 pm
Done some tests and all seems to be well at my end here. I have been coming in and out of record with no issues. All midi data recording as it should etc..

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scottyo7 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Although, it shouldn't cause this issue... by chance is your "Loop" extending (or enabled) out to where you're seeing the midi notes occur? If so, then this might be a 'certain case' type of bug?

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by gregghart on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:07 pm
No, and now I'm recording a new song just one track...piano and it's doing it. Not sure what is going on, but it's really annoying and is causing me grief.

by gregghart on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:21 pm
...more info...it only happens if I add to a track, it seems. So let's say I "real time record" a VSTi track, stop it, and then decide to add more in real time on the same track. That causes it almost every single time.

by brianlawler on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:21 pm
YES- Just happened to me today, in fact. I can't figure out how to recreate the issue. I wound up deleting the track and starting over (on the one track). Happened just as you described. I recorded about eight measures, and it showed a held note way off beyond where I hit STOP- maybe 32 measures.

-EDIT-

I think I can replicate now. I can't make it happen on a first track in a Song, but once you add a subsequent INSTRUMENT track- Set the record pointer on the new track to somewhere in the timeline after the beginning. Use count-in and record. Play a whole note but start it just a smidge before the record point. When you note off and stop record, you will see a longer note in the clip than you played. It appears to be a multiple of the note length- the longer the note, the longer the tail. At least that is happening to me. I guess the "fix" is to be sure to leave some lead time recording before you play. Not sure if this is an issue with punch in/out.

Brian

Homebuilt MSI AMD Ryzen 3700X 4.5 Ghz Win 10-64 (22H2) 32G RAM, Focusrite 2i2 v3, Komplete Kontrol S49 MK1, Arturia Minilab 3, Bitwig 4.x, Studio One Pro v6.x
by Jemusic on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am
Still not getting any unusual behaviour here .Does not matter if I overdub into existing tracks. I am assuming both of you are on 4.1.1 is that correct.

Generally with recording I set up a loop markers above over the area of interest. I usually set a one bar count in or pre roll and get into record that way. Always seems to work for me.

by niles on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 am
I can reproduce it. It happens when the note-on is triggered in the precount and the note-off is triggered after the precount. So when notes are started (sightly) before recording those notes will be extended.
I will report it.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by musicchamber on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:58 am
Long notes recorded, but only short notes are playing back in 4.1.1. Everything works in the previous version.

If you look at the notes in the midi editor, you will see the long notes recorded, but if you move those notes up a semitone, you will see buried underneath are also duplicate very short notes recorded, that is causing the problem.

Hope they sort this out soon.

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by garyanderson5 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 am
Confirmed. Basicly you can't record on the same instrument track again as it adds a ridiculas long note at the start. Tested with no loop set up just simple record in from midi keyboard.

Tested on instrument track no instrument loaded. pre count 4, then record a few bars. Works ok.
Record again from the end of your last part. pre count 4, then record and you get the long note.

Only happens if your not perfectly in time. If your early or before it adds the long note. Maby Presonus saying you should play better lol. Never noticed myself till i checked this post.

Attachments
Long Note.PNG
Long Note.PNG (9.16 KiB) Viewed 8570 times

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by musicchamber on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:07 am
musicchamber wroteLong notes recorded, but only short notes are playing back in 4.1.1. Everything works in the previous version.

If you look at the notes in the midi editor, you will see the long notes recorded, but if you move those notes up a semitone, you will see buried underneath are also duplicate very short notes recorded, that is causing the problem.

Hope they sort this out soon.

Best
Scott

Anyone else having the midi issue described in my post? I think my post maybe a different issue to the original posters comments??

Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by niles on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:09 am
musicchamber wroteIf you look at the notes in the midi editor, you will see the long notes recorded, but if you move those notes up a semitone, you will see buried underneath are also duplicate very short notes recorded, that is causing the problem.
I don't see that here with any of my three input devices. Double notes often occur due to specific settings at the hardware controller side.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by musicchamber on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:14 am
niles wrote
musicchamber wroteIf you look at the notes in the midi editor, you will see the long notes recorded, but if you move those notes up a semitone, you will see buried underneath are also duplicate very short notes recorded, that is causing the problem.
I don't see that here with any of my three input devices. Double notes often occur due to specific settings at the hardware controller side.

It's really odd, I installed the previous version to test and no problems with my CME XKEY controller connected via USB (and not bluetooth).

Not sure what I should do tbh to fix the issue.

Thanks Niles.

Scott.

by niles on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:20 am
musicchamber wroteNot sure what I should do tbh to fix the issue.
You could check the MIDI monitor to see if really a single note* is received from your device when playing a single note.

* That's actually two lines. A NoteOn + NoteOff or NoteOn and NoteOn with velocity 0.

by musicchamber on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:41 am
niles wrote
musicchamber wroteNot sure what I should do tbh to fix the issue.
You could check the MIDI monitor to see if really a single note* is received from your device when playing a single note.

* That's actually two lines. A NoteOn + NoteOff or NoteOn and NoteOn with velocity 0.

Solved

I have now solved my issue. I overwrote the CME firmware (with the same version number), Deleted my external instrument and rebuilt the external instrument configuration, and now everything is working correctly!!

Best
Scott

by niles on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 am
musicchamber wroteI have now solved my issue.
Great! :thumbup:

by gregghart on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:01 am
garyanderson5 wroteConfirmed. Basicly you can't record on the same instrument track again as it adds a ridiculas long note at the start. Tested with no loop set up just simple record in from midi keyboard.

Tested on instrument track no instrument loaded. pre count 4, then record a few bars. Works ok.
Record again from the end of your last part. pre count 4, then record and you get the long note.

Only happens if your not perfectly in time. If your early or before it adds the long note. Maby Presonus saying you should play better lol. Never noticed myself till i checked this post.

HA. Yeah. I should play better. haha. I am SO glad I'm not alone in this...or crazy.

by gregghart on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 am
niles wroteI can reproduce it. It happens when the note-on is triggered in the precount and the note-off is triggered after the precount. So when notes are started (sightly) before recording those notes will be extended.
I will report it.

THANK YOU! Would it help if I report it as well? Would it get faster attention? Where do I go to do that?

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3