6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I’ve used both for years but haven’t touched Sonar much since last year’s events with that program. I was reminded today, though, that in Sonar you could drag an audio file straight to a MIDI Track (Sonar has both MIDI and Instrument Tracks) and audio->midi transformation would happen automatically. But as near as I can tell, with S1 (which had ARA integration with Melodyne long before anyone else) you still have to go through the more cumbersome process of opening Melodyne, etc.

Am i missing something or is this the way it remains even in versoin 4?

Thanks,,

Steve

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

Newest release, using Studio One

Other music created in Studio One
by Jemusic on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:29 am
Currently Studio One V4 needs Melodyne in order to do this. This works in Melodyne Essentials too as well.

There is nothing cumbersome about it either. All you do is simply click on an audio event you want to transform to midi. As Studio One has the ARA integration you simply open this audio event in Melodyne using the key command (CtrL+M) At this point you don't have to do any Melodyne processing to the event. Just drag the Melodyne opened audio event down to an instrument track and your midi will appear immediately.

This is great because before you drag the file down onto an instrument track you could do some Melodyne processing. e.g. fix the pitches and get them more accurate. Improve timing etc. Then drag the Melodyne processed event onto the instrument track for perhaps a better midi result.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 am
SMcNamara wrote: you still have to go through the more cumbersome process of opening Melodyne, etc.

Unless you have Melodyne not correctly setup with Studio One, you don't.

There's no opening of Melodyne at all (unless you wanted to run it as self standing). Though thats not necessary in S1.

As Jemusic points out, simply right click the event in Studio One, and select "Edit with Melodyne", which opens Melodyne right in S1's edit window. The event now resides in Melodyne, in that same step. Not exactly "cumbersome".

Anytime thereafter, to edit an event now associated with Melodyne, you can double click on the event and since Melodyne is running already, the event opens to Melodyne ready to edit, until you remove Melodyne, bounce, or render the audio. Melodyne also places MIDI within the event, for you to freely drag to MIDI or to an audio track.

There are no additional steps, unless Melodyne is operating outside ARA as it will in a DAW that doesn't have that, or Melodyne is improperly set up.

Now if in some way, you're use to just dragging in some way to obtain the same results, then you were probably just very used to that method, but the alternative seems fairly smooth.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lawrence on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:19 am
You only need Melodyne if it's melodic. Otherwise just detect transients and drag it to an instrument track to get midi notes at all of the hitpoints.
by SMcNamara on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 am
Lawrence wroteYou only need Melodyne if it's melodic. Otherwise just detect transients and drag it to an instrument track to get midi notes at all of the hitpoints.

You correctly guessed that my original post was related to using Melodyne for melodic transfer. My use of "cumbersome" was apparently a mistake as that word was highlighted in the other responses (and thanks to all for responding). I simply meant that it was surprising Sonar allowed single click+drag on an audio track to a midi/instrument track to complete the audio-to-midi process, while S1 touted itself as the first Melodyne-ARA DAW.

So yes, it is not truly "cumbersome" but also it is not as seamless as Sonar -- which just surprised me and made me wonder if I had overlooked something. Apparently not.

Thanks again,

Steve

Windows 10 64-bit | Studio One Pro (newest update at time of posting the message) | 8 cores | 16GB Ram | Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface (2nd Gen) | Presonus Eris E44 Monitors | Atom SQ | Roland VG-99 | EZBass, EZKeys 2, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Drummer 3, various other virtual instruments | a surfeit of guitars and third-party plugins :)

Newest release, using Studio One

Other music created in Studio One
by Lokeyfly on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 am
SMcNamara wrote
Lawrence wroteYou only need Melodyne if it's melodic. Otherwise just detect transients and drag it to an instrument track to get midi notes at all of the hitpoints.

You correctly guessed that my original post was related to using Melodyne for melodic transfer. My use of "cumbersome" was apparently a mistake as that word was highlighted in the other responses (and thanks to all for responding). I simply meant that it was surprising Sonar allowed single click+drag on an audio track to a midi/instrument track to complete the audio-to-midi process, while S1 touted itself as the first Melodyne-ARA DAW.

So yes, it is not truly "cumbersome" but also it is not as seamless as Sonar -- which just surprised me and made me wonder if I had overlooked something. Apparently not.

Thanks again,

Steve

Your welcome, Steve. Be it melodic or timing, both editing methods of transient control, or Melodyne provide different, yet powerful results, depending on the task at hand.

I love both methods. Sometimes I'll use Melodyne with no concern for melodic change, but actually see where I may want to adjust timing (or amplification, resonance, formant sound shaping, stretching, etc), or sometimes use Studio One's transient detection for adjusting especially where percussion, or those critical hits need to be located.

Such control either way is a good thing.
Since you used the term cumbersome, I adressed cumbersome, as generally how one other person perceives that. Your description, not mine. I think that's fair to do. Water under the bridge. ;)
Hmmm. Apparently. :roll:
Cheers.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

6 posts
Page 1 of 1