13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey folks.
So I'm new to this whole recording thing. I'm working through all the tutorials on how to use S1 4 etc.

What I'm wondering and haven't yet been able to locate is the reason for my post.

Does anyone know of any resources that show basic mixing techniques for a simple piano, bass, drums and electric guitar setup? Kinda country...

The bass and the guitar will be the only audio instruments while I'll be using plugins for the piano and drums.

Appreciate any help.
by matthewgorman on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 pm
Honestly, they are everywhere. Probably too much actually. One place I have a lot of people check out is: homestudiotrainer.com. Johnny is one of the bigger video creators, and has been ariund since V1

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by codyhazelle on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:38 pm
Mixing is a big long journey in and of itself and there are no "ways" to mix that combination of instruments. What I would do is listen to your favorite tracks that have those instruments and make notes. Where are they panned? How loud are they? How much reverb and delay is on them? Do they sound really compressed, or maybe just kinda smooth? Are certain frequencies emphasized?

Using a critical ear will get you a lot farther than "do this thing with this instrument."

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by mickedge on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 am
Also check out Joe Gilder on youtube. Lots of great stuff & very well explained..

Dell XPS-15, i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Apollo Twin USB, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10, guitars....lots of guitars..!
by davewardzala on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:37 am
Second the suggestion to check out Joe Gilder.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i7 8700K @3.7GHz, 32Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, , Axiom 49 Midi Controller, ATOM Controller
Win10 Pro

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2, Akai MPKmini Controller
Win 10 x64 Home

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/ ... inal-music
by Bbd on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:44 am
We've gathered up some good videos here on the forum:

viewforum.php?f=374

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lawrence on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 am
Good suggestions all. I'd also say "go with your instinct as well" and don't get too caught up on other people's preferred methods or opinions or "rules". Put up a similar track genre wise as a reference and keep asking yourself why it sounds better all along the way.

If you're new to mixing a good reference track can be (if you can be objective as a listener) a great guide.
by tcastlejr on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:14 am
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help and feedback.
by darrenporter1 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:33 am
Do yourself a HUGE favor and get this book. Don't just read it. STUDY it. Use his website resources (including a ton of full multi-track songs from every genre you can download and practice mixing with - then post your mix to his forum and request feedback!)

https://www.amazon.com/Mixing-Secrets-S ... b_title_bk

There are some really good videos on YouTube but like with everything else, there is some really bad advice on YouTube as well. The ones referenced in above posts are pretty darn good though.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Trucky on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:48 pm
Here's a "5-Step Mix" resource to check out as well:

https://homestudiocorner.lpages.co/5-step-mix/

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by BobF on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 pm
darrenporter1 wroteDo yourself a HUGE favor and get this book. Don't just read it. STUDY it. Use his website resources (including a ton of full multi-track songs from every genre you can download and practice mixing with - then post your mix to his forum and request feedback!)

There are some really good videos on YouTube but like with everything else, there is some really bad advice on YouTube as well. The ones referenced in above posts are pretty darn good though.

Lotsa free media to download for practice too.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by patm300e on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 am
BobF wrote
darrenporter1 wroteDo yourself a HUGE favor and get this book. Don't just read it. STUDY it. Use his website resources (including a ton of full multi-track songs from every genre you can download and practice mixing with - then post your mix to his forum and request feedback!)

Lotsa free media to download for practice too.

The author's (Mike Senior) web site has a lot of information as well as some tracks to practice with!

http://cambridge-mt.com/MikeSenior.htm

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by tcastlejr on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 pm
Thanks everyone.. Lots to dive in to.

13 posts
Page 1 of 1