6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Can anyone please walk me through using automation with the analog delay? I've only found one related tutorial video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s9MTUwf4Is&t=220s and for whatever reason, I cannot seem to replicate what he's doing.

I'm trying to engage/trigger the delay on the last word of a lyric phrase and get like 4 or 5 quarter note repeats in time with the song.

Like the guy shows at 3:05 in the video, I right-clicked on "edit mix automation" but in my Studio One Artist 4, it doesn't give me the green line like in his video.

Granted, he's using version 2.6 and I've got 4.0

Help!
by scottyo7 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm
I usually have to fine tune it - but this is the jist:

-Find the Delay type/preset plugin you like - at the repeat rate needed to fit correctly (1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16th, etc). Note the time base of most plugins is in sync, it's just your repeat rate that will vary.
-Click on the "Enable/Disable" or "On/Off" button on the Delay plugin.
-Since this is the last button touched, it's what will be (enabled) for your track for automation.
-To do that, drag the hand icon (top left) down onto your track.
-Enable automation on that track and find your "on/off" parameter.
-Drag the square wave (on the bottom is "off", at the top is "on") around with automation handles for the amount of enabled time you need.

Alternately:
You can cut the desired event (word, words, note or notes) and then paste it into the proper 4 or 5 places to get your 4 or 5 repeats that you desire. However sometimes this can sound fake or robot-like. To help counter that, you'll most likely have to adjust the volume to decrease on each succeeding event to simulate a normal decay. :roll:

I've used both methods above. ;)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by dcumpian on Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 am
You can also put the delay on an FX bus then automate the send level to the bus.

Dan
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm
scottyo7 wroteI usually have to fine tune it - but this is the jist:

-Find the Delay type/preset plugin you like - at the repeat rate needed to fit correctly (1/4, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/16th, etc). Note the time base of most plugins is in sync, it's just your repeat rate that will vary.
-Click on the "Enable/Disable" or "On/Off" button on the Delay plugin.
-Since this is the last button touched, it's what will be (enabled) for your track for automation.
-To do that, drag the hand icon (top left) down onto your track.
-Enable automation on that track and find your "on/off" parameter.
-Drag the square wave (on the bottom is "off", at the top is "on") around with automation handles for the amount of enabled time you need.

Alternately:
You can cut the desired event (word, words, note or notes) and then paste it into the proper 4 or 5 places to get your 4 or 5 repeats that you desire. However sometimes this can sound fake or robot-like. To help counter that, you'll most likely have to adjust the volume to decrease on each succeeding event to simulate a normal decay. :roll:

I've used both methods above. ;)

They only thying I would clarify on this advice, is to never (or just about never) automate the on/off button of a plug. When you turn a plug on/off, there is a calculation behind the scenes for plug latency compensation, and you will get bad artifacts. Better to use the bypass button next to it. Otherwise, use Scotty's info, or Dan's.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by scottyo7 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm
matthewgorman wroteThey only thying I would clarify on this advice, is to never (or just about never) automate the on/off button of a plug.

Yes, yes... it's the Bypass not power.
I wasn't in front of my system so that detail got missed. :roll:

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by matthewgorman on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 pm
scottyo7 wrote
matthewgorman wroteThey only thying I would clarify on this advice, is to never (or just about never) automate the on/off button of a plug.

Yes, yes... it's the Bypass not power.
I wasn't in front of my system so that detail got missed. :roll:

Yeah, I know that you knew that. :mrgreen:

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

6 posts
Page 1 of 1