21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a problem I was trying to overcome, but I'm stumped.

I'm working off Studio One v2.6.5 and I'm trying to connect a Casio Privia PX-770. The piano is connected, I can play on the keys and trigger Presence. But I prefer the sound from the actual piano for this project I'm working on.

So I have recorded midi notes that I played in, and now I'm trying to send that information back to the piano so it will play from the piano's sound engine. Then I was gonna capture that audio. But when I play back the performance (listening to my piano's speaker), the volume goes from very loud, to almost silent, but you can still hear it close to the speaker. It fluctuates randomly between those two loudnesses. And the notes it's playing are wrong. I was thinking it might be a mapping problem. But I don't know how to edit the midi map.

There's a sequence of notes in this piece, where 8th notes one after the other play, in ascending pattern. Like A B C D E F etc. like a scale. But the piano plays the same out of scale note for all those different notes.

Anyone have any advice?
by BobF on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:22 am
This would be difficult to solve without having matching hardware, but ...

If you use the recorded part to drive a VSTi does it sound normal volume with correct notes?

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:24 am
Yes, if I use only Presence to play back the midi notes, they're all correct and at the proper volume. Sending the notes to the piano is the only time I experience this.

EDIT: And I can actually play on the piano, and be listening to the audio from Presence on headphones and everything is right. The DAW plays the same thing I'm currently physically playing. It only happens when sending notes back to the piano.
by BobF on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 am
This is for V3, I'm not sure how much changed from your version ... have you been thru this?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... dio-One-3-

-

Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:33 am
Yes thats actually the source I used when setting up the midi connection.
by BobF on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:52 am
Do you have SO sending MIDI timecode? If not, enable it in SO and make sure keyboard/synth is set to receive/not transmit.

This sounds to me like SO and your keyboard aren't sync'd up.

I'm not an expert at this though ;)

-

by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:50 pm
BobF wroteDo you have SO sending MIDI timecode? If not, enable it in SO and make sure keyboard/synth is set to receive/not transmit.

Is this the three checkable boxes toward the bottom of the set up page? I have all three checked. I'm using midi channel one and the "send to/receive from" spots are assigned to the Privia.
by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:22 pm
So interesting thing I just found, if i go into the piano roll, you know the midi editing console. If I click on the individual notes that are written there, the notes play correctly from my piano. I just quickly scrolled through every note I used in the midi recording and I can get every one of them to sound off correctly from my piano with proper volume too. But when I hit play, I get this problem.

Edit:I'm thinking the midi channels have something to do with this. As I attempt to play the track, if I scroll through different midi channels, every once in a while it'll come through clearly on the piano. But the notes are still wrong. But then it cuts out again and I can't get it back for a while.

And its not that the notes are wrong. If i listen carefully, I can hear the correct notes in there. Its just triggering extra notes on top of what I recorded. I'm totally clueless.
by BobF on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 pm
BrodieSkiddlz wrote
BobF wroteDo you have SO sending MIDI timecode? If not, enable it in SO and make sure keyboard/synth is set to receive/not transmit.

Is this the three checkable boxes toward the bottom of the set up page? I have all three checked. I'm using midi channel one and the "send to/receive from" spots are assigned to the Privia.

uncheck the top 2 so that only timecode is checked

-

by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:22 pm
I just now did that. Would it be necessary to restart studio one?
by jpsbuk on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Just a thought .. You don't have some sort of midi loop going on perhaps? i.e. data being sent from S1 goes through keyboard and then back into S1 and out again etc. etc.. ?

What midi connections do you have?

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by BrodieSkiddlz on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:25 pm
jpsbuk wroteJust a thought .. You don't have some sort of midi loop going on perhaps? i.e. data being sent from S1 goes through keyboard and then back into S1 and out again etc. etc.. ?

What midi connections do you have?

The only midi connection I have is the Privia. How would I check for a midi loop?
by jpsbuk on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:49 pm
I was thinking you may have had 2 midi leads but I guess your keyboard is USB?

Not knowing anything about your keyboard makes it hard to help. Look for any settings regarding routing midi in to midi out etc..

Studio One 4.5.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB with Presonus Studio 24C
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Akai LPK25, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam, NI Maschine Mikro, Faderport 1, Artiphon Instrument 1

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by BrodieSkiddlz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:12 pm
jpsbuk wroteI was thinking you may have had 2 midi leads but I guess your keyboard is USB?

Not knowing anything about your keyboard makes it hard to help. Look for any settings regarding routing midi in to midi out etc..

Yeah I've been reading up on it all I can. It is USB instead of midi.

Can anyone provide me with a short explanation of midi channels, or maybe link me somewhere I can read about it? I can't find like what it is and how you set it up anywhere. I know I have 16 channels to pick from, but how to assign the channels, or how many notes can be on a channel, I have no idea.
by BobF on Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm
I was thinking maybe when you start playback in SO, it's also starting playback of a song in the Casio. That's the reason I suggested making the changes.

-

by BrodieSkiddlz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:25 pm
BobF wroteI was thinking maybe when you start playback in SO, it's also starting playback of a song in the Casio. That's the reason I suggested making the changes.

Thats actually plausible. There are songs loaded into it from the factory. I don't understand why it would behave that way though. Is there anything in the way of information I could provide you guys with that might help?
by BobF on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm
BrodieSkiddlz wrote
BobF wroteI was thinking maybe when you start playback in SO, it's also starting playback of a song in the Casio. That's the reason I suggested making the changes.

Thats actually plausible. There are songs loaded into it from the factory. I don't understand why it would behave that way though. Is there anything in the way of information I could provide you guys with that might help?

Have you made the settings changes I suggested above? Leave only [Send MIDI Timecode] checked, and set the 770 to NOT send Timecode.

-

by BrodieSkiddlz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 pm
BobF wrote
BrodieSkiddlz wrote

Have you made the settings changes I suggested above? Leave only [Send MIDI Timecode] checked, and set the 770 to NOT send Timecode.

Yes, as soon as i saw your post i did it, but i forgot to report back. Still the same.
by BobF on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:27 pm
bummer. I'm out of ideas.

-

by BrodieSkiddlz on Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm
BobF wrotebummer. I'm out of ideas.

Yeah me too. I seriously appreciate you guys taking the time to try to help. I suppose I'll probably have to call both Casio and Presonus to try to figure this one out. Once I do figure it out though, I'll report back. In case anyone ever has this weird problem again.

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2