7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

I'm totally new to DAW. Before I bought my Personis Audiobox and got Studio One 4 Artists version along with it, I didn't even know what it was. ;)

I'm starting to record the songs that I have written (singing with acoustic guitar) and I found out how to do that with Studio One using tracks and the basic interface. So far so good. But I could have done the same with Audacity. Now that I have this Studio One software with all the endless possibilities I would like to use some of them.

I know there are a lot of tutorials, tips and tricks out there and I have seen a lot, but I kind of lost my way in them. As a not native Englisch speaker and having no experience with recording or DAW I simply don't know what some things mean and what I need. So I watched video's that I simply did not understand or did not even know what they were talking about. :?

What I want is this: I want to give my recordings more 'body' by adding instruments, drums etc to the singing and the guitar.

If that is possible, I would be very gratefull if you can give me some directions as to which features I should use and which tutorials or part of the tips and tricks I should consult.

thanks
by timmorris on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:08 pm
Hi and welcome to Studio One !

Are your original songs recorded with a click track?...how is the general timing of the songs is it good?

Do you want to inout new sounds manually , by just playing some drum sounds in real time, or are you looking to use preset loops ?

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by hansbeck on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm
Hi Timmorris,

Thanks for helping me out.

I'm just starting to record. So far I just did a few try-outs to see how it works. So I can still choose which way to record. I tried the metronome and I think I can work with that. I think the timing is not perfect but good.

I cant play a real drum, if that is what you mean but if it is possible to add drum sounds (or other instruments) from the program to the recorded track while playing than I can give that a shot. Preset loops or self made loops is also good. I do'nt know what is the best to choose for a beginner. And how to start.

Because the definitive recordings aren't made yet I can also make the drums-track first and sing/play later if that is more convenient.

Hans.
by codyhazelle on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:28 pm
You've got a long road ahead of you my friend!

Idk if SO Artist comes with loops or not, but if I were you I would start there. You can browse loops by opening up the browser window and looking through them over there. Most of these should have a set tempo, which means that when you drag them into your arranger window they should automatically adjust to the tempo you set for your song. This also means if you decide to record your song slower/faster, you can always adjust it no problem.

If you want to drag in loops that don't have a set tempo and you want to make them work...that's a whole other can of worms...but totally doable.

If you want to make your own beats with kick, snare, hi-hat etc., you'll most likely want to load up Impact XT (again, idk if this comes with artist or not) and go from there. If I were you, I'd start with a simple preset that it comes with and when you find sounds you like, play with them and make a beat!

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by hansbeck on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:21 pm
Hi Codyhazelle,

As long its a nice road. I don't mind that is it long ;)

SO Artist comes with both loops and Impact XT. So I can use your advise. Thank you!
I'll try both first loops and then the Impact XT presets to see what suits me best.

Is there a way to see which loops have a set tempo and which not?

I suppose the best way is to make the song/guitar tracks first and add the loops/beat to them, or is it a better practise to make the beat first and afterwards record the audio?
by codyhazelle on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 pm
I would hazard to guess that the majority of loops bundled with SO have tempo embedded. When you flip through the browser window it should say what the tempo of the loop is. If it doesn't, then that means it's not set.

As to your last questions, that's up to you. There is no standard practice for that sort of thing. Just "Gee do I wanna start with a beat?" or "Gee maybe I'll record guitar first today." As you write/record more and more songs (over years) your process will become more and more streamlined, your creativity more and more open.

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by hansbeck on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:58 am
Codyhazelle and Timmorris,

I think I have enough information now to get started and start experimenting.

Thanks for helping me!!

Hans.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1