5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, is it possible to combine cthulhu on the same track with a vst instead of putting it on a seperate track? Thanks.
by niles on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:49 am
Not on the same the track, but you can use VST X (e.g. Cthulhu) as Direct Input for VST Y.
VST X is the one with an Instrument track then (Scenario B in this post).

How well it works depends on the VST's used.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by themaartian on Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:28 pm
This is the method I used. It seems much more complicated than Scenario B. I need to put some thought into this. Or maybe less. Ha!

How To Setup Cthulhu in SONAR

1. From the Insert menu, choose: Soft Synth > VST2 > Cthulhu

In the dialog box that pops up, tick: Midi source, synth track folder, first synth audio out, enable midi output, synth property page, recall assignable controls. Then click OK

2. Next Insert whatever soft synth you would like Cthulhu to play. I'll use True Pianos Cakewalk as an example, but you can use any: Insert > Soft synth > VST2 > True Pianos Cakewalk.

In the dialog box that pops up, tick: MIDI source, Synth track folder, First synth audio output, Synth property page, recall assignable controllers. Enable MIDI out does not need to be ticked. Now click OK.

You now have 2 folders, both containing a MIDI track and a synth track.

3. In the synth folder (True Pianos in this example), select the MIDI track. From the input drop down menu, choose your keyboard input. Now play some notes to make sure you have sound. Now from the same dropdown menu, change the input to Cthulhu 1 > MIDI Omni. You have now routed the output of Cthulhu to your soft synth.

4. IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE THAT THE INPUT ECHO BUTTON IS ACTIVE (BLUE) ON BOTH THE MIDI TRACK IN THE Synth FOLDER, AND THE MIDI TRACK IN THE Cthulhu FOLDER.

5. Select the MIDI track in the Cthulhu folder. Make sure its input is set to your keyboard in MIDI Omni mode using the drop down input menu.

6. If the Cthulhu VST property page isn't already open, click on its synth track icon to open it. You will see on the page a drop down entitled Chord Presets. Click on it and choose any preset. Now play a single note on the keyboard (still with the MIDI track in the Cthulhu folder selected, but with the Input Echo button activated on both MIDI tracks). You should hear the chosen arpeggio play. Note that you will also hear a tone generated by Cthulhu. This can be turned off using the speaker icon in its VST property page.

Now that you have it working, select both folders and the tracks using control-click, right click on the blue highlighted section of any of the selected tracks and choose "save as track template" from the dropdown menu and give it any name you like.

Next time you want to load it, just right click in empty space below your last track and choose 'insert from track template', then the name you saved. This will load both the soft synth and Cthulhu and set up all of the inputs and outputs for you. You just click on the Cthulhu MIDI track and play away!

Intel i9, 32 GB RAM, 7 TB SSD Win 11 Pro PreSonus Studio 1810c
Studio One 6 Pro MuseScoreMelodyne 5 Studio Acoustica Pro 7 Guitar Pro 8
Gig Performer 4 NI S61 MK3 Focal Shape 65 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, DT 770 Pro
by robertgray3 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 am
Nope, I don’t think enough Studio One users use sequencer VSTs to even care

There’s a feature request that kind of deals with this but it’s a pretty roundabout approach to it imo. Since it has 83 votes I didn’t bother making another that might be deemed a duplicate.

https://answers.presonus.com/3164/seria ... as-note-fx

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by BobF on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:35 am
Niles' Scenario B linked in his post above is the most straight-forward.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ

5 posts
Page 1 of 1