17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey,

Will Studio One let you normalize to a certain level? I'm not seeing any options for that.

Thanks,

Donny

HP Z220 I7, 16 GB RAM
RME Multiface II PCIe Interface
Windows 10 64 Bit
Studio One Pro V5.1.1.61815
by timmorris on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:35 pm
Ermmm......I just tried it and I don think so....its stuck at 0dB I believe.

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by SwitchBack on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:25 pm
Sooo... you can normalize and then reduce gain by/to exactly where you want it :)
by billsaunders1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 pm
I missed this when I first switched from Sonar...until I realised I could simply select an audio event and drag the little square at the top of the event to increase or reduce gain to whatever level I like.

Not sure if that’s helpful, but I use it all the time.

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro5.5 Win11 64bit i7-12700 32GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 8i6 3rd gen
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:40 pm
I was reading the difference between Peak normalization and Loudness normalization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:17 pm
I would not be using any form of normalisation. It is over rated and not that helpful. You would be better off deciding on what a track rms ref level might be and adjust the tracks gain to suit that. e.g. K-14 or -18 or -20 db FS as a reference.

It will better help down the road in terms of mixing as the average level or loudness will be consistent over all your tracks before a mix. You will always have enough level range to place any track within a mix from very soft to very loud and everything in between.

Audio Editing programs such as Cool Edit or Adobe Audition are also a smart addition to any DAW. They allow you to do many jobs and more accurately. Although many functions can be copied using Studio One processes. Such as say hard limiting a track to -7 dB FS and then adding 6 dB of rms overall gain to that track. Both of those jobs can be handled easily and all internally within Studio One.

Adjusting the gain handle on individual audio events is excellent within Studio One and far better than Sonar's implementation as well. At least the waveform changes height as you make gain changes.

A better time to get loudness levels correct is over the whole mix during mastering.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by darrenporter1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 pm
Yeah I never normalize anything. It's "destructive" to your original audio file. Adjusting the gain level of the channel/track is reversible. In the instance you absolutely must normalize to a specific level, you can always just load the audio file into Audacity (free) and do it there... but for the life of me, I can't think of a situation where "you absolutely must."

Some people like to do it for gain-staging purposes I suppose, but again nothing you can't do with the gain knob. (I use Klanghelm VUMT Deluxe for all of my gain-staging needs - and a couple more.)

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by darrenporter1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:36 pm
Jemusic wroteAdjusting the gain handle on individual audio events is excellent within Studio One and far better than Sonar's implementation as well. At least the waveform changes height as you make gain changes.

You know, I'm not a huge fan of that method at all. I do use it when I have something like a vocal that is blaring-loud during a chorus or bridge and quieter in the verse but I don't want to squish the life out of it with a compressor or limiter. I will go into edit mode and use the waveform's gain handle on a cut-out region to make that region only slightly louder than the rest instead of way too loud. It's also handy when you have a rouge syllable or drum hit or guitar flub that is exceptionally loud. But I use VUMT to adjust the overall channel's gain. For me it's just easier since I have the meter open anyways for checking levels.

It's cool to have options. :thumbup:

by BobF on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:15 pm
The different approaches are interesting, but IMO, the tools should support whichever approach the user prefers. The OP's suggestion/FR for the ability to specify a value to normalize to makes perfect sense for HIS/HER approach.

If this were an FR, I would certainly vote in favor of it.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Tacman7 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:08 pm
More reading...
Lot of opinions about normalize.

Second post might be what the OP is looking for:

http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts ... /5392.page

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by miked7 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm
You could Normalize all your tracks, then use the -3 Macro to reduce them by -3 increments. ...AND then you could create a macro for THAT. This way, you'll know before you start mixing, exactly where your tracks are going to be peaking. Then, you can setup your template with you favorite plugins for whichever level you have chosen and start mixing that much sooner.... ;)

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by Steve Carter on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:00 pm
S1's implementation of handles to drag up/down to change waveform amplitude, both sonically & visually is good but it would be great if you didn't have to split the waveform to do it i.e. just highlighting the region to be modified then making the adjustment (see Harrison Mixbus). This has been an ongoing feature request but obviously hasn't gained sufficient traction...
This (I think) can be done by choosing the range tool (in the pointer options - sorry to be a bit vague but not at my computer) but involves changing focus from the default pointer position.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by darrenporter1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:21 pm
Steve Carter wroteS1's implementation of handles to drag up/down to change waveform amplitude, both sonically & visually is good but it would be great if you didn't have to split the waveform to do it i.e. just highlighting the region to be modified then making the adjustment (see Harrison Mixbus). This has been an ongoing feature request but obviously hasn't gained sufficient traction...
This (I think) can be done by choosing the range tool (in the pointer options - sorry to be a bit vague but not at my computer) but involves changing focus from the default pointer position.

If you can find the feature request and link to it I'll vote it up. :thumbup:

by doncolga on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am
Tacman7 wroteMore reading...
Lot of opinions about normalize.

Second post might be what the OP is looking for:

http://forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts ... /5392.page

That's exactly what I was looking for. I'll experiment with this later today and probably make a macro for it.

Donny

HP Z220 I7, 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 64 Bit
by doncolga on Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:57 am
Very cool to see lots of Sonar forum members here! And yes, I saw Harrison MixBus mentioned here. I really like that program too. I go back and forth between it and S1, depending on what mood I'm in I guess. They also have an awesome forum. I'm starting on an S1 binge right now and doing some template updates, and this would be useful.

HP Z220 I7, 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 64 Bit
by lawrencefarr on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 am
You guys may be overthinking this. Tick the Normalize box in the Clip Inspector and set whatever level you want in the Gain field there. It works for all selected clips.

The macro being discussed (if you make it) does the same thing, Normalize to 0 and then trims by X.

None of it is destructive or harmful as it's all just pure gain/trim.

Studio One Technical Support | QA
------------------------------------------------
Issue Reporting Version 4.3.0
Studio One Add-Ons
------------------------------------------------
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by Tacman7 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:49 am
In the words of LMike:
---------------------------
It's one of those digital audio things that for some unknown reason many people seem to have great difficulty conceptualizing.

If you look through the general list of audio rules and myths and misperceptions , like .... Never move the master fader!!!! ), the vast majority of those things are somehow related to gain. Many people just don't buy into the reality of how flexible those things actually are, that they can greatly change, bounce a thing multiple times, and return it back to the exact same state as the original... if all you're doing is changing gain... amplitude... volume.

Gain modification is something that happens - everywhere - in a digital workstation, in multiple places all the time, all over the place, literally almost everywhere. Gain stages (points where gain can be and very often is) changed along the way, are literally everywhere in a daw.

If changing gain was destructive to audio sonics we'd all be in some serious trouble.

It's a losing battle. You can normalize a thing to +80 over 24-bit 0, bounce it twice, then trim it -80 and null it completely with the original audio file... and they still won't believe it. It's like... superstition.

Forum Moderator.

17 posts
Page 1 of 1