52 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
Heh, bringing up an old thread. Good input though.

I have since moved-on to Console 1 on every channel with Softube Tape on the mix bus and now recently tracking through a Hairball Audio Copper or a DIYRE CP5 with color module and have Sound Skulptor's 1176 kit on the way. Awesome stuff. Once in a while I will add CTC-1 to the mix bus as well.

You'll know you're an old rock-n-roller when the only spandex in your pants is in the elastic waistband. :D

Studio One Professional 4.6.1
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
Audient iD44, TASCAM US16x08, Presonus 1810
FaderPort 8, Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
Hairball Copper, DIYRE CP5, Sound Skulptor CP5176, Suhr Reactive Load
Lots of self-built tube amps, Carvin, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, PRS, Takamine guitars
by frank.crow on Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:15 am
Plugin Alliance makes Neve & SSL console emulations that utilize the TMT technology. Basically it gives you the ability to assign 72 channels each with it’s own analog character. This strip also let’s you dial in the amount of noise to taste.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V4
Presonus Quantum
Presonus Studio Channel
Art Pro Studio Channel II
Line 6. BassPOD XT Pro
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
Hardware DBX 231 EQ
Art Pro Pro VLA II
WA76 1176 (clone)
EQP-KT Pultec (clone)
Presonus. V2 Monitor Station
Presonus. FaderPort 8

"God's grace" :D
by j0001s on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:31 pm
frank.crow wrotePlugin Alliance makes Neve & SSL console emulations that utilize the TMT technology. Basically it gives you the ability to assign 72 channels each with it’s own analog character. This strip also let’s you dial in the amount of noise to taste.

That's what I'm currently messing around with. I have CTC-1, as well as the Slate stuff, and an overstuffed plugin folder.

Back in the days of semi-pro tape and mixer, I seemed to be able to get a mix together without too much work. Not a lot of choices, but the results were good. What I'm trying to create is a DAW environment where it behaves like that, rather than using a different set of plugins on each track.

I should state that I'm usually aiming for an Americana tone, so more natural than modern pop/R&B.

Plugin Alliance's recent sales (as an existing customer, prices were stupid low) sucked me in, and I picked up the Neve, SSL 4000, Townhouse Compressor and Masterdesk.

After a bunch of experimentation, I settled on the SLL on every channel, and Townhouse and Masterdesk on the mix buss. If there's something that I can't make work, then I'll add other plugins, much like I would patch in my limited amount of outboard.

I then saw a post from Dirk of Plugin Alliance that say it's what he uses to get closest to the analog sound and workflow.

It's promising. I am finding mixes are coming together faster. Or... it may be that I'm in the honeymoon period.
by frank.crow on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm
musicchamber wroteI use Softube Tape as a mix effect on a sub-out - all channels are directed to this, then this goes to the main out. On the main out I have been trying CTC 1 mix effect, and it is really good. I tend not to use any crosstalk, and I like the Custom preset.

I use subtle settings, and it's great.

I have Slates VCC and VTM but I now prefer working the way as noted above.

Best
Scott

This is intriguing, I think I might try to adapt some aspect of this to my workflow and test drive it. I’ve had that softube tape plugin sitting around gathering dust for a while.
I use a premaster track where everything gets funneled through on it’s way to the Master Channel. I don’t have the CTC 1 yet so maybe I’ll pick it up.

Thanks for the great information

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Presonus Studio Channel
Line 6. BassPOD XT Pro
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
Hardware DBX 231 EQ
Art Pro Pro VLA II
WA76 1176 (clone)
EQP-KT Pultec (clone)
Presonus. FaderPort 8

by darrenporter1 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:37 pm
That's basically what I'm doing with the Console 1 - emulating an analog console workflow with that and my Faderport 8. SSL 4000E on every single channel - no exceptions. If its gate, eq, compressor and drive don't do it for me I add another plugin, which happen extremely rarely these days.

No more analysis paralysis and I rarely spend any money on plugins anymore. Still loving it after the honeymoon is over.

You'll know you're an old rock-n-roller when the only spandex in your pants is in the elastic waistband. :D

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
Lots of self-built tube amps, Carvin, Fender, G&L, Ibanez, PRS, Takamine guitars
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pm
frank.crow wrote
musicchamber wroteI use Softube Tape as a mix effect on a sub-out - all channels are directed to this, then this goes to the main out. On the main out I have been trying CTC 1 mix effect, and it is really good. I tend not to use any crosstalk, and I like the Custom preset.

Best
Scott

This is intriguing, I think I might try to adapt some aspect of this to my workflow and test drive it. I’ve had that softube tape plugin sitting around gathering dust for a while.
I use a premaster track where everything gets funneled through on it’s way to the Master Channel. I don’t have the CTC 1 yet so maybe I’ll pick it up.

Thanks for the great information

Just be aware that Tape (and CTC-1) used in the Mix FX section are extreme CPU hogs. Your older Mac Mini may not be able to keep up if you use them on everything possible. I just use them on the mix bus and even then Tape (the worst CPU offender of the two) is used as a regular insert, where it is MUCH more CPU-friendly.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by frank.crow on Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:52 pm
Thanks Darren

That was my big complaint with the Softube Tape plugin before.
The Slate workflow is a much more CPU friendly solution for me.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Presonus Studio Channel
Line 6. BassPOD XT Pro
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
Hardware DBX 231 EQ
Art Pro Pro VLA II
WA76 1176 (clone)
EQP-KT Pultec (clone)
Presonus. FaderPort 8

by darrenporter1 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:16 pm
Tape works great as an insert too. No CPU issues for me like that. Honestly I can't tell the difference between the two methods but then I haven't really dug-in deep to compare since it is such a hog in the MixFX.

But if you are happy with Slate then it's all good, no? Might be fun to experiment though.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by musicchamber on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:43 am
Yes Tape and CTC 1 are way heavy on CPU, I hope that the devs will be able to optimise this in the future.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I only use this work flow when doing traditional 'band recording's'.

I would not use this work flow when I'm creating my orchestral compositions. Why do I say this? It's because a lot of the orchestral libraries often are recorded to tape and obviously through a console any way, so in my eyes it would be detrimental.

Saying that though, I would still use plugins on the master out, such as the Iron and Masterdesk plugins.

Going slightly off topic a little.
Sorry about that

Scott

Studio One Professional v4.6.1, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Catalina, Presonus 192, DP88, RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Event Opal monitors. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by frank.crow on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:03 am
musicchamber wroteYes Tape and CTC 1 are way heavy on CPU, I hope that the devs will be able to optimise this in the future.

The other thing I forgot to mention is I only use this work flow when doing traditional 'band recording's'.

I would not use this work flow when I'm creating my orchestral compositions. Why do I say this? It's because a lot of the orchestral libraries often are recorded to tape and obviously through a console any way, so in my eyes it would be detrimental.

Saying that though, I would still use plugins on the master out, such as the Iron and Masterdesk plugins.

Going slightly off topic a little.
Sorry about that

Scott

That’s super useful information. I tried your workflow this morning but used console shaper instead of ctc -1.
I was actually using this on my Orchestral Template. But your argument makes sense. What do you use (if at all) for tape on Orchestral compositions?
I’m going to run the BX-N plugin across the bulk of the tracks as it’s modeled after the Neve that was used at Skywalker Ranch.

Apologies to everyone I know this drifted way off topic please forgive me.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Presonus Studio Channel
Line 6. BassPOD XT Pro
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
Hardware DBX 231 EQ
Art Pro Pro VLA II
WA76 1176 (clone)
EQP-KT Pultec (clone)
Presonus. FaderPort 8

by BezowinZ on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:11 pm
Good info here and a couple of other threads. Not sure why some of the mix fx stacking talk is going over my head, but I'm working through it. I'm contemplating 2 purchase options; Tapedesk, a console/tape combo in one plugin vs Softube Tape & CTC combo. I like the flexibility of the former and the simplicity of the latter.

Best
Scott
This sounds like a good alternative to what I was thinking; CTC on the master and Tape on my group buses (drums, guitars, etc). I already route my buses to a master bus before going to the master.

I'm trying to recreate the 24 track tape flow; console->tape->console. Tape/CTC as mix fx misses the back to console step which I'm ok with. But what I'm not clear on is how to stack them so they both effect all channels. It sounds like that's not exactly possible.

Tapedesk accomplishes this, but with a plugin on each channel.

Studio One 4.6.1 Pro, Mac OS 10.14.6 (3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac / 2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB, RAM MBP), Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt, MOTU MIDI ExpressXT

Presonus, I’m still human! Please find a better security method, please.

And where the hell is my avatar?!? I get a little jelly seeing everyone else's.
by darrenporter1 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 pm
MixFX is one at a time only. The only way you can "stack" them is if you do something like putting CTC on each channel and then sending each channel to a bus with Tape. I would NOT do it the other way around because Tape is an absolute CPU hog in the MixFX.

From my experience though, you will not hear the difference between Tape in the MixFX vs using it as a regular old insert. If I use it at all anymore I only put it on the main bus as an insert and I don't really use MixFX at all. I get much better results, to my ears, with Console 1 on EVERYTHING plus I get the hardware interface that goes with it.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by reggie1979beatz on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:49 pm
Just out of curiosity, is there anything negative about console one?

Studio One 4.x, Win 10, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, RME Babyface Pro and tons of plugs.
by darrenporter1 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:19 pm
in my opinion... no. well maybe the cost of additional emulations but if you can wait they often have sales where a new C1 comes with an extra one and their black friday sales offer deep discounts. For example until the end of the year C1 comes with the default SSL 4000E and the American Class A (API) for free.

Combined with any of the Faderport options it is a winning combination. I love it.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by BezowinZ on Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:53 pm
darrenporter1 wroteMixFX is one at a time only. The only way you can "stack" them is if you do something like putting CTC on each channel and then sending each channel to a bus with Tape. I would NOT do it the other way around because Tape is an absolute CPU hog in the MixFX.
This is what I gathered.

I have a pretty decent Mac, but with so many mentions of Tape in the MixFx using a lot of CPU, I'm not sure I want to test it.

darrenporter1 wrote...I get much better results, to my ears, with Console 1 on EVERYTHING plus I get the hardware interface that goes with it.
I'm looking for a control surface and considering a Console 1 / Fader combo. With the Faderport just adding auto fill though, it addressed one of my 2 concerns. If it had knobs on each channel, I'd own one already.

Not being able to see anyone use the Softube combo with S1 in vids, and not having many of their plugins, the Faderport's native integration will likely win out.

Studio One 4.6.1 Pro, Mac OS 10.14.6 (3.6GHz 8-Core i9, 64GB RAM, iMac / 2.8GHz 4-Core i7, 16GB, RAM MBP), Clarett 8Pre Thunderbolt, MOTU MIDI ExpressXT

by reggie1979beatz on Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:04 pm
darrenporter1 wrotein my opinion... no. well maybe the cost of additional emulations but if you can wait they often have sales where a new C1 comes with an extra one and their black friday sales offer deep discounts. For example until the end of the year C1 comes with the default SSL 4000E and the American Class A (API) for free.

Combined with any of the Faderport options it is a winning combination. I love it.

I think we've had the conversation about faderport. I'd need an 8, really blew it as it was on sale. The only real question is where do I put them :lol:

Studio One 4.x, Win 10, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, RME Babyface Pro and tons of plugs.
by BezowinZ on Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm
I recently picked up Softube Tape. Now that I'm actually going to experiment with Mix FX, I wanted to run this by folks more experienced than me before attempting something impossible.

General background, my mix is set up as such: Each instrument goes to a group bus; drum bus, keys bus, guitar bus, etc. Then each group bus goes to a mix bus, and that goes to the master.

Not suggested here, but the Mix FX Manual describes Serial Mix FX. Ignoring the CPU hit, I imagine I could do the following:

-Console Shaper Mix FX on master
-Tape Mix FX on mix bus
-Console Shaper Mix FX on group buses

Should this work? And I turn pass-through on, correct?

Lastly, I sometimes split instruments prior to the mix bus, sending drum & percussion buses to one bus, all other instruments buses to 2nd bus, and vox bus to a 3rd. Assuming the above works, should I put Tape on the mix bus in this scenario or on the 3 buses before it?

Thanks

by darrenporter1 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:01 pm
It should work fine. Your i9 will probably handle it without any hiccups.

However, I can not hear any difference at all between Tape in the MixFX and used as an insert effect. So personally, I would skip the "mix bus" and just insert it on your master bus. I don't use CTC/Console Shaper at all anymore but Tape goes on the master bus of every song I do.

Definitely try it both ways for yourself though. I'd be interested to hear if you can tell the difference.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11
by BezowinZ on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:37 pm
darrenporter1 wrote...However, I can not hear any difference at all between Tape in the MixFX and used as an insert effect. So personally, I would skip the "mix bus" and just insert it on your master bus....
Hmm, I thought crosstalk would at least be the difference. I'll listen out for it. Thanks!

by darrenporter1 on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:44 pm
you can dial-in crosstalk with Tape used as an insert FX. Personally though, I have to wonder why anyone would ever want to do that... console manufacturers went to great expense to eliminate it as much as possible and engineers would spread their tracks out strategically across their consoles to even further minimize it.

I get trying to chase "analog vibe" but not when it comes to crosstalk.

UAD PCIe Solo v9.11

52 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3