5 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm at the point where there are too many options available to me and I don't know what would be best for my workflow/efficiency so I figured you guys can help me. Here is a hypothetical situation:

I have a hi-hat sample of which I would like to (essentially) send an LFO to the pitch. What is the best way to do this?

Sample One XT has this feature and it's very cool...But I don't believe (could be mistaken) you can send the samples to the pattern editor or drum editor. You can do this with Impact XT, though, and I'm loving working with the new pattern editors with Impact. Unfortunately, Impact doesn't have any assignable LFOs! BUMMER

So then what? Load up the HH and the rest of the kit to Impact and draw an automation curve assigned to the pitch of the HH pad? That's a bit more than I'd like to do to sculpt a HH sound.

Have a track of Sample One XT dedicated to just the HH and plug it into the piano roll? Leave the rest of the kit up to a single instance of Impact XT? Seems a tad bit silly.

What's your guys' workflow for this kind of stuff? It's all pretty new so maybe we're still figuring it out?

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by bstin on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 pm
Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you use the Pattern Editor with Sample One XT?
by codyhazelle on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:35 pm
bstin wroteMaybe I'm missing something, but why can't you use the Pattern Editor with Sample One XT?

So I tested this after you posted and you're right... I guess I just assumed the pattern editor went with the impact only. Oh well.

Still my point stands. I'm a big fan of the impact + pattern workflow. Using sample one just for hats seems a bit odd. I'll play around some more.

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by robertgray3 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:50 am
You could make a multi instrument to keep it all in the same pattern but then you (sort of) lose the pitch list of Impact

For situations like this I just run Impact and have a separate track for Sample One. You get over it eventually :)

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by codyhazelle on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:26 am
robertgray3 wroteYou could make a multi instrument to keep it all in the same pattern but then you (sort of) lose the pitch list of Impact

For situations like this I just run Impact and have a separate track for Sample One. You get over it eventually :)

Hmm interesting! I hadn't considered a multi instrument. And then I just set the hat to, say, c4 and make sure no impact pads are on the same pitch and I'm good.

That being said I may put in a feature request to put an LFO (or two or three?) on impact XT. That thing would be almost like a little Elektron machine at that point...sans fx.

The more I think about it the more I kind of want sample one and impact just combined into one instrument. The drum pads/sample layering/dedicated outputs (does sample one have dedicated outputs? ) of impact and the fx/LFO usage of sample one.

Does anybody know a quick and easy way to make a sample play on a specific note? Or do you always have to drag the high, low and root parameters?

5 posts
Page 1 of 1