8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I setup a new project in studio one v4. I added Reason 10 as a rewire instrument. Within Reason I added Maelstrom and Thor and set them up on midi inputs 1 and 2 respectively. Then I set outputs for them using 3-6. Back in Studio One I added two tracks to send Midi to Reason, one for Maelstrom and one for Thor. Everything was working well except for the following issues:

1. Studio One treats Reason outputs as MONO except for the 1-2 main outputs. No easy way that I can find to combine outputs into a single stereo track in Studio One.

2. When you close Reason and Studio one and then reopen the project, you lose all of your midi mapping except for the first instrument. Thus Maelstrom midi track would still work, but I had to remap Thor midi track each time. This is a bug I think and should be addressed asap.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Studio One 3, Windows 7, Intel i7 Quad, 24GB RAM.
by Lokeyfly on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 pm
dgrm44 wrote: 1. Studio One treats Reason outputs as MONO except for the 1-2 main outputs. No easy way that I can find to combine outputs into a single stereo track in Studio One.

Only your main out via the Reason patch Bay 1 and 2, open in Studio One as a stereo channel. You'll have to connect Reasons instruments left and right, such as Thor, or any Combo, etc, thereafter with odd and even connections in Reason's patch Bay. Then just pan them in Studio One as hard left, and right. Combine the mono channels as well, so the faders work in unison. Stereo Rewire channels has been asked for numerous times, and yes, its too bad that separate mono feeds can't be joined as a stereo bus (as is the case with the main LR from Reasonable.  I'm pretty sure it's the Rewire protocol,  as the same thing occurs with me using PT.

2. When you close Reason and Studio one and then reopen the project, you lose all of your midi mapping except for the first instrument. Thus Maelstrom midi track would still work, but I had to remap Thor midi track each time. This is a bug I think and should be addressed asap.

This shouldn't occur, if you properly close the two programs in the right order. Your patching and instruments should all be there just as they were, prior to closing the file.
That's been my way of working anyway, and it hasnt failed yet. If I name a song in Studio One using Reason, I add as the tail end of the filename (Reason), or (PT). Then I know there's a Reason song, with that same name to load. I.e. MySong((Rewire).song. the Reason filename will simply be called "MySong". The Reason song has all the required patching, intact.

Just male sure that you Open and close with the proper sequence. That might be causing you to have to remap.

Ah, almost forgot. Don't run Reasons instruments through Reason's mixer (you can for quick and dirty, with LR master dominating everything). The mixers LR outs play to the main stereo outs of the patch Bay, so tracking individual instruments while listening to others won't be discreet. It's simply best to run each Reason instrument, directly to Reason's MIDI Patch Bay. You CAN use the mixer, but you'll find that using the patchbays odd and even tracks from 3 to 64 to record, or playback on work well.

My patch Bay looks something like Thor, on 3 (left), 4 (right), DR. Rex and a run of Combi's 5 (Left), 6 (right), Kong 7 ((left, 8 (right), etc. You have 64 mono feeds, so 32 instruments (hard panned) isn't a problem. ;)

Propellerhead created the Rewire protocol, so you'll have to put the "bug" thought on their desk. Most who use Rewire, are usually too happy someone came up with an interDAW protocol in the first place, that also locks tempo clock. Now, if Studio One were to have a way of patching those mono feeds, at their end with stereo channels, yes, this would be a reasonable improvement (pardon the pun).

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by dgrm44 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:34 am
Thanks for the reply. I have tried several times and so far regardless of what the order is that I close down Studio One and Reason I lose my midi mapping in Studio One.

As for the tracks, I also work with Reaper and do not have the same issue as I can route two outputs from Reason to a single track in Reaper. Also, I don't lose my midi mapping in Reaper.

I am pretty sure the issue with the mapping is a Studio One v4 bug.

Thanks.

by Lokeyfly on Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 pm
I see. Thanks for mentioning. Sounds like it could be inherent in S1 4 0 as you say. Seems little to nothing has changed for creating stero from mono sourses in v4. Too bad. Please keep us posted. I'm looking to upgrade in the coming months. :)

P.s. For what its worth, I didn't like all the pluging in and out of Reaper when rewiring. Along with rewiring, theres the audio, and MIDI patching on top, per channel, per monitoring, per yadda yadda....... . And just for one song! My creative side ran for the hills. :XD:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by dgrm44 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:21 pm
I hear you, it is a bit of mouse clicking if you want to use multiple instruments from reason within reaper and use different midi/audio. However, once you get it wired up you can save it as a template and its easy to use after that.

I am hoping S1v4 addresses these issues as I would love to start moving more of my projects over into S1v4. I love the UI and most of the workflow. Also, it seems they have addressed the performance issues (I haven't run into any as of yet).

by Lokeyfly on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 pm
Hmmm, Reaper Rewire templates. Tried them, that way. I was always modifying them anyway to suit the song.
I have no intentions of being a 1950s telephone operator. :)

Just Joshing. Let's see what happens down the pike. I am surprised you have to re map at all. Something isn't right there. As to the mono tracks. You can easily make them still stereo by combining, and panning. Create a ticket, because the re map issue may be within S4. Perhaps an S1, + Reason user can verify this.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by snb1 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:34 pm
1. Studio One treats Reason outputs as MONO except for the 1-2 main outputs. No easy way that I can find to combine outputs into a single stereo track in Studio One.[/quote]

You have to route both stereo synths in Reason to 3-4 and 5-6 then send both pairs of channels to seperate stereo bus channels in Studio One, then hide the mono channels because you wouldn't need them at this point. Make sure you pan the mono channels inside Studio One hard left and hard right respectfully.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by dgrm44 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:57 pm
The midi mapping issue has been SOLVED thanks to Presonus great support.
Here are the steps to reopen a Studio One project with Reason rewire tracks.

1. Open Studio One (DO NOT OPEN THE SONG FILE).
2. Open Reason and then open the Reason song file that you setup with your Studio One song.
3. Open the Studio One song file.

All of your mappings should now be there and work correctly in Studio One.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1