37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I ran into an interesting thing the other day- had a nice little mix going and then wanted to save a new folder and completely zero out the board (all pan knobs / faders to 0.0) to start from scratch (not due to indecisiveness or anything, I was demonstrating something to a friend). I couldn't figure out how to do it aside from just manually CTRL clicking the faders on fifty tracks, every time i selected multiple faders it made relative adjustments to them as a group. Tell me, what do I not know? :reading: I didn't see anything in the manual about a fader catch mode or anything like that.

Edit: theres a feature request you can vote on for this here https://answers.presonus.com/18850/rese ... 850#q18850
Last edited by robertgray3 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:53 pm
Check this out:

viewtopic.php?p=41564

You certainly can. Select all tracks in the mixer and grab the highest fader and pull it down to zero. If you do nothing at this point you can slide them back up and they will maintain their relative positions.

If you want them all to go to unity deselect all the tracks while they are all down, then reselect all of them and move one of the faders up to unity. They will all reset to unity then.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:55 pm
Ah so I have to select, drag down, deselect, select them all again, then drag up.

The deselecting was the step I was missing

Not incredibly intuitive but I probably don’t need to do this often enough to ask for some modifier to ignore relativity when resetting a group of settings in the console to 0/default. :?

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by mikemanthei on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:34 am
robertgray3 wroteNot incredibly intuitive but I probably don’t need to do this often enough to ask for some modifier to ignore relativity when resetting a group of settings in the console to 0/default. :?

Well since you mentioned it,... And if you don't mind the segue, there is a modifier to ignore relativity between channels that are selected in a temporary group, or in a durable group.... Should you ever need :-)

On the PC it's holding down the ALT key as you move one of the faders. It's probably the option key on a Mac. It temporarily ungroups the fader you are moving so it can be moved individually. Then, when you let go of the ALT key, it rejoins the group in it's new position. It functions pretty well even if you're using a control surface too.... so you can hold down Alt, quickly change the relationship between a whole handful of channels, and then release them back into their group.

Doesn't help much in your current situation of trying to zero out a console. But I do find it intuitive enough that I have rarely found the need to use VCA groups.
We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by BobF on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:51 am
robertgray3 wroteAh so I have to select, drag down, deselect, select them all again, then drag up.

The deselecting was the step I was missing

Not incredibly intuitive but I probably don’t need to do this often enough to ask for some modifier to ignore relativity when resetting a group of settings in the console to 0/default. :?

Instead of dragging up in the last step, you can CTRL/CMD-Click one of them to set them all to unity
Last edited by BobF on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by donaldbaarns on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:43 pm
BobF wrote < snip >
Instead of dragging up in the last step, you can CTRL-double click one of them to set them all to unity

I believe it's "Ctrl/Cmd + Click" (single click) will move any control back its default, rather than the double-click, but right idea either way.

I also found a quirk in this process.

It doesn't always work! UNLESS you zero out a fader which is hottest, then it does work. (I was messing around with it... found the workaround.)

This always works in my testing:

In Mix Console:

Select First track fader
MAX it out (+10)
Shift + End to select all other faders (or Shift + right arrow on Mac, hold until all are selected)
Shift + Left Arrow will take you back to the first track.
Zero out THAT fader (the hottest fader)
Select a single fader to deselect the group
Group all again
Ctrl/Cmd + Click will set them all to zero again.

It takes me FAR longer to type it all out than to do it.

You really don't need track 1 set to max, BUT the one you use to set to -infinity MUST be the hottest fader, or after you ungroup, regroup, setting back to zero won't handle the faders that were hotter than the one you pulled down.

I also found you could do the inverse too. (Set one fader to -infinity, then push it all the MAX after all are grouped.)

The point is if you have faders above/below the fader your are setting to min or max, it won't work as expected.

Max out your "reference" fader before starting, and it works every time.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by BobF on Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:20 pm
donaldbaarns wrote
BobF wrote < snip >
Instead of dragging up in the last step, you can CTRL-double click one of them to set them all to unity

I believe it's "Ctrl/Cmd + Click" (single click) will move any control back its default, rather than the double-click, but right idea either way.

Thanks for catching that. I'll fix the post above.

As I've though about this, I think it would be really nice if all selected all selected channels were set to zero/default when CTRL/CMD-Click is performed on any of them.

-

Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
by robertgray3 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:05 pm
BobF wrote
donaldbaarns wrote
BobF wrote < snip >

Thanks for catching that. I'll fix the post above.

As I've though about this, I think it would be really nice if all selected all selected channels were set to zero/default when CTRL/CMD-Click is performed on any of them.

It makes sense, right? I think of it as setting a group back to default. Instead it’s some kind of relative adjustment relatives of the one channel you click

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by donaldbaarns on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 pm
robertgray3 wrote<snip>

It makes sense, right? I think of it as setting a group back to default. Instead it’s some kind of relative adjustment relatives of the one channel you click

It makes sense. If you "Ctrl/Cmd + Click" it really should just take the group back to the default. (Or "Ctrl/Cmd + Alt/Option + Click" if they want to keep the current behavior.)

You should make an FR.

I think it's really an oversight, because the current behavior doesn't really make sense. After you group, the "reset" should apply to all selected.

Don

Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM

by robertgray3 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 am
Found an FR for this. Four score and one year ago....

https://answers.presonus.com/18850/rese ... 850#q18850

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:32 am
Nice finding the link, Rob.
Voted. +1

In a small way, this is something that could also be easily recallable with snapshots (after the first re-set), so something to consider and bolster that snapshot FR. To not convolute this post, I'll bump that snapshot FR along somewhere else.

Thanks again. Jemusic and others workaround which is fine, and what I do as well. Still, a straight forward global unity setting would be good for also seeing how far the console has strayed from unity.

[Warning: could be a dangerous experience, given some altered settings. Guard your speakers, and your ears]. ;)
No, I'm not the Surgeon General. :XD:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:54 pm
Any global setting for faders to be set to either unity or all down to - infinity would be dangerous because after doing a mix for hours and if you have not saved, the potential is there is loose everything in one click. It is good in a way now because you have to consciously do it which is little safer than a one click operation.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by donaldbaarns on Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 pm
Jemusic wroteAny global setting for faders to be set to either unity or all down to - infinity would be dangerous because after doing a mix for hours and if you have not saved, the potential is there is loose everything in one click. It is good in a way now because you have to consciously do it which is little safer than a one click operation.

Undo is always an option.

It works now for fader changes for groups... I'd expect it to work IF they ever add that feature. (I don't care either way, I've never tried to do that...)

Don

Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM

by Lokeyfly on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:52 pm
Jemusic wroteAny global setting for faders to be set to either unity or all down to - infinity would be dangerous because after doing a mix for hours and if you have not saved, the potential is there is loose everything in one click. It is good in a way now because you have to consciously do it which is little safer than a one click operation.

Indeed Jeff. I can definately foresee the posts coming in how Presonus should have added some failsafe yaddah yaddah......because they damaged their speakers (or their ears).

Just some food for thought, that goes under the heading of dain-brammage. :)

Anyway, back on track, please vote for the OP'S request regarding "zero out on the board". Link provided above as an added nicetee.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 pm
Yes I did forget about Undo. But still, resetting faders is pretty drastic anyway you look at it. I think the volume thing that Lokeylfy brings up though is more relevent. Once I get rms levels of tracks correct before mixing I rarely have any fader above unity. And I am someone who prefers to mix using the faders (as opposed to those who set them all to unity and get the mix elsewhere)

Returning all my faders to unity for me would be a serious volume change for sure. Maybe they could drop the master fader down by 6 dB as well just in case!

by Steve Carter on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 pm
I only 'zero out' at the beginning of a mix for gain staging purposes and have, up to now, done this one fader at a time (because grouping and ctrl/cmd click doesn't work). Can't see a reason to need this at a later stage in the mix - ymmv, but will now try the solution above when gain-staging to save time.

Thanks and regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by robertgray3 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:47 am
Steve Carter wroteCan't see a reason to need this at a later stage in the mix

This mostly comes up for me on songs we are writing or demoing.

I’m tracking, have a rough mix to record/test our vocal arrangement and make sure it’s effective, and then the next day when mixing I want to zero out all the vocal tracks and blend them with fresh ears while initially keeping the inserts and routing in place.

It also came up once when i was demonstrating some mix ideas to a colleague. I was using my undo history but as there were a large quantity of little adjustments to sort through I couldn’t help but notice selecting groups and setting the volume/pan to unity in one click could have been less fiddly.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by BobF on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:10 am
While I appreciate the safety of NOT implementing this with fewer clicks, maybe a confirmation with "Don't show this again" would work.

The reality is that it can/will be done with a few more clicks anyway. My steak knives aren't designed to not cut steak in order to prevent me from cutting myself.

-

by robertgray3 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:34 am
BobF wroteWhile I appreciate the safety of NOT implementing this with fewer clicks, maybe a confirmation with "Don't show this again" would work.

The reality is that it can/will be done with a few more clicks anyway. My steak knives aren't designed to not cut steak in order to prevent me from cutting myself.

I mean, I can delete all the tracks with one click, I can bring them all up by 6db with one click, down by 6db etc etc. Undo works on all of that. I don’t get the hand wringing personally.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by matthewgorman on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:47 am
Hey Robert, maybe using the versions system would work for this? Not sure if it would work in your workflow, but save a version with everything at unity, and you could always recall that? I use the versioning with my mixdowns, so when I need to get back to where a mix may have gone off kilter, I can get that mix back easy enough.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

37 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2