31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Greetings,
I am fairly new to computer recording, I'm 59 and been around a while. I have a finished song, and I went through the process of mixing, putting in my markers, naming the file, etc. I'm mixing them as Mp3 files. They save to their destination, but when I try to play them back, whether in Media Player, Groove Music, regardless of the playback app, it does not play. The status bar on which ever player I'm using does not count down. When I try to burn a disc of the song from media player, it says some files are missing and it can't burn the songs. I have to set up an email account on my recording computer so I can try to send them that way, but based on what's up so far, I don't think it will play as an email attachment either, but I'm going to try it. I've redone this process many times with the same result. I can save it in 'project' and have a WAV file. and it will play WAV in Studio One. But the exported Mp3 file does not play. Any Suggestions?
Thank you graciously
Jerry
by Tacman7 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:31 am
How are you exporting the mp3?

High bit rates are worthless, I never use more that 128bits I think it is.

Also sample rate, what are you working in 44.1k? It's exporting at that rate also?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by mikemanthei on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 am
Tacman7 wroteHigh bit rates are worthless, I never use more that 128bits I think it is.

You've got that backwards, Tacman Never use anything lower than 128K. And then only use 128 if it's only going to be played on cheap earbuds.

Honestly, if you can't hear the difference between 128k and 320k, you should fix your listening environment.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:14 am
Jerry,

You didn't mention what happens when you mix down to a WAV file and then play that in media player. Does that work?

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by PreAl on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:43 pm
And why MP3? You do realise MP3 is lossy compression?

Best make wav and make MP3's later if you really need them...

I never use MP3 myself, if I need to compress a file I use a lossless format such as FLAC.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Jemusic on Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:45 pm
You should always export the song as a wave file first as a quality format e.g. 44.1K 16 bit. You can also export as an MP3 file after that. Check your MP3 export settings. Choose 320K Bits/sec (and yes 320KBits/sec sounds much better than 128K as well BTW) and 44.1 as the sample rate. Set up a loop across the whole song and select between loop up the top in the export options as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by scottyo7 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:29 pm
Beyond the "which sounds better" argument of mp3 vs. wav. :roll:
Personally I use 256 or 320kbs since 98% of listeners don't have a tuned sound environment and .wav's are 3+ times bigger which take up limited cloud space.
Plus mp3 can contain other meta-data. ;)

You mention using the Marker track...
Check what your other "Export Mixdown" settings are in the "Export Range" section:
"Between Loop" (if your loop is set to 0:00-0:01 no sound).
"Between Song Start/End Marker" (if the Start and End are beyond and VI notes/events or Audio events).
"Between Each Marker" (See above).
"Between Selected Markers" (See above).

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by PreAl on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:36 pm
scottyo7 wroteBeyond the "which sounds better" argument of mp3 vs. wav. :roll:
Personally I use 256 or 320kbs since 98% of listeners don't have a tuned sound environment and .wav's are 3+ times bigger which take up limited cloud space.
Plus mp3 can contain other meta-data. ;)

I can make exactly the same arguement with FLAC, only thing is FLAC is lossless compression not lossy. Oh sure MP3's are more popular, but then so were floppys when measured up against CDs once upon a time. Support for FLAC is far and wide regardless.

And burning a CD from MP3 is ridiculous.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by scottyo7 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:17 pm
PreAl wroteAnd burning a CD from MP3 is ridiculous.

Not if you're trying to save space... as what my intent was. 8-)
Listening to a CD with 15 .wav's on it in a car with road noise isn't going to sound better than a CD with 200 mp3's at 256.

Sure I might go with the .wav in an acoustically treated room, but I've only been in one. ;)
There are multitudes of comparitive 'sound-tests' to prove the average music consumer can't tell.

Then there's Neil Youngs' Pono Player. :roll:

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by matthewgorman on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:01 am
Focus people. Lets just help the OP, and save the "you should be doing this" conversation for another thread.

Jerome, can you manage to get a screen capture of the mixdown settings that you are using for starters?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by PreAl on Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 am
Very focused but thanks anyway. People are asking questions so they can get a use case/make sense of this. Totally appreciate imho.

by Tacman7 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 pm
Did you ever get your mp3's to play?

That's the reason I use mp3's is that's what everyone is using and it will play on most everything.

Something must be wrong with your mp3's or your player. Can you post one?

I tried using higher bit rate but I can't hear the difference, nod is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

I tried an AB comparison which I will include here.

I just write songs so I don't need audiophile quality.

Maybe my music has so many compression artifacts mp3 actually improves it?

BitRateA.mp3
(936.54 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

BitRateB.mp3
(433.27 KiB) Downloaded 253 times

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by richardnolder on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:36 pm
I too am having the same issue. I recorded one song, and saved the mix down as an mp3 without any problems. Recorded another one after and the mp3 won't play. Like OP's problem, whichever media player I open it in, it does nothing, yet when I open the file back up in Studio One, it plays no problem!
by Tacman7 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:19 pm
What format are you using?

You're doing export mixdown?

mp3format.gif
mp3format.gif (8.37 KiB) Viewed 9322 times

Forum Moderator.

by jameshowell3 on Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 am
I am having the same problem out of nowhere... Been using Presonus Studio 4 artist for about a year and a half. I updated to Studio 5 pro a few weeks ago, and last night I did a master, saved as a wav, and when I opened it in groove player, and audacity and I can see the waveforms of the music, but it wont play. When you hit play it doesn't count down or anything. I did restart my computer, and when I did and tried to play the wav file it sounds choppy and distorted.

Home Studio Hobbyist
Predator Orion 3000 PO3-600 i5 16GB RAM
PreSonus AudioBox iTwo
Eris E4.5 powered studio monitors
Studio 5 Pro - Presonus Sphere
by SwitchBack on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:18 am
Same question as for the OP (who seems to have left the building): What settings did you use to create the file (sample rate, resolution, CBR/VBR, ...). Note that not all players can cope with all the audio file formats Studio One can create.
by Steve Carter on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:37 pm
I used exactly the format the Tacman shows in the picture above, mixdown between start and stop markers. My android tablet has 4 players MP3 capable but only one of them will play back my MP3 mixdowns from S1v4.6... after transfer by DropBox.
Just saying.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by bartbalint on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:11 pm
just made a .wav file and mp3 of several songs completed in Studio One 5. Groove Music player plays them without issue. Also made a couple of CD's and played them in my two truck's CD player without problem. I use the loop markers to make the start and stop of each song. I have not tried them in iTunes, although I never had a problem in the past with different versions of Studio One.
Sorry this is no help in trying to fix this issue.

I dont usually make mp3's, but sometimes I do to send to a friend for their comments. The mp3's are usually small enough to make my internet providers limit on email attachments. Where as the .wav files are always larger and cannot be sent email.

Studio One v6.5, Win11 latest build, Quantum2, Huion Tablet, ATOM, GR55, HPD-20, iRigKeys, Mackie Big Knob, Elgato StreamDeck+, 8-)
by justinfriedman on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:32 pm
I’m also having the same issue. I have a new computer that I have only used to record. I did my first test run...no problem, it plays fine in studio one 5. I clicked export mix down, named it, format mp3, sample rate 44.1, bitrate 320, export range between start and end marker...I exported to desktop, it shows the song there with a 5 min 7 second duration but the countdown doesn’t move. It’s my first attempt at recording and Exporting. Very frustrating.
by justinfriedman on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 pm
Also I did get an error message when exporting that read, clipping occurred do you want to delete the file. I clicked no...this is only a test so I don’t really care about clipping but would that cause it to not play the mp3?

31 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2