9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Recently I quadrupled a vocal. Now, takes three and four are not on every single phrase (I want them only on specific phrases) but they are on one of the verses where I say the word "Make" and the "k" sound ends up all over the place. I can see the tiny transient of the "k" but I don't know how to move it around without messing with the vocal file. I've seen people like Joe Gilder do this but haven't figured it out. I want to drag just that transient around without affecting the other sounds around it. Even if that requires my "Ma" part of the word to be time stretched a bit or whatever it is.

I hear audio bend is pretty good for stuff like this but frankly I'm lost. Maybe I should just read the manual on it.

Anyway! Any tips? I feel this is something that should be pretty easy but eludes me for some reason.

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by darrenporter1 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:06 pm
I'm sure one of the three or four fantastic makers of Studio One tutorial videos have covered this. Did you do a YouTube search?

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by codyhazelle on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm
So I found a video that was helpful with audio bend. In this video, Joe Gilder moves tracks around without going through the fuss of putting in bend points, analyzing them, moving them around, etc.

phpBB [video]

How do I do that? Is that a SO4 only thing?

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by darrenporter1 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:13 pm
It's not a V4 only thing. It came around in V3 somewhere, or possibly earlier.

I haven't watched it but try this one. He's one of the better S1 gurus. Also check out Studo One Expert.

phpBB [video]

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by jpettit on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:59 pm
This is what Vocal Align is for out of the box.
You can also do a fairly good job with Melodyne to lineup syllables but it is an advanced technique that splitting blobs and stretching /moving consonant areas.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by codyhazelle on Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 pm
jpettit wroteThis is what Vocal Align is for out of the box.
You can also do a fairly good job with Melodyne to lineup syllables but it is an advanced technique that splitting blobs and stretching /moving consonant areas.

Splitting blobs doesn't seem possible in the version of melodyne that comes with Studio One. So I guess I'll need to upgrade if I wanna do that...

Still my question hasn't been answered: How do I do what Joe did in that video? He's clearly not using audio bend at all but somehow Studio One knows to bend the waveform around like that. How?

by mikemanthei on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:30 am
codyhazelle wroteSplitting blobs doesn't seem possible in the version of melodyne that comes with Studio One. So I guess I'll need to upgrade if I wanna do that...

Nope. Splitting blobs is possible in the entry-level version of melodyne. You might have to read some documentation....

codyhazelle wroteStill my question hasn't been answered: How do I do what Joe did in that video? He's clearly not using audio bend at all but somehow Studio One knows to bend the waveform around like that. How?

It looks like he's sliding the event sideways within the event container.. so he's not actually bending the waveform. The function is called slip event. I think you hold down Ctrl + alt and then drag with the mouse on a PC.

My real world results with that technique are not that great. It's really easy to create an edit that sounds completely unnatural. As you are sliding the audio within the event container, it's easy for noises that were previously hidden to come into the window.

I would suggest using audio Bend instead. And audio Bend has been around since version 2 of Studio One, so it's not like something that you have to buy an external package for. You would still group all the drum tracks together so that the bleed in all the microphones are fixed at the same time.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:49 am
codyhazelle wroteI hear audio bend is pretty good for stuff like this but frankly I'm lost. Maybe I should just read the manual on it.

Bingo..... I know you want to just dive in and start working without reading the manual, but this is one of the instances where spending some time reading documentation can really pay off. A DAW is really too complicated to grasp all the subtleties without reading.

Audio Bend is brilliant for lining up consonants so that your background vocals all have the same phrasing.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by jpettit on Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:57 am
I wa going to mention this is also very doable with audio bend.

Watch my advance classes on audio timing on my YouTube channel.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest

9 posts
Page 1 of 1