24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Thanks for all the help fellas! Will try the suggestions. My drummer is one of the most musical performers I've worked with, he's just not a human metronome and drifts and gets off sync with fills and such occasionally. Not really much of an issue, but for editing having things line up to the bars would be advantageous. He could hear the click track just fine. Was hoping there was a quick and dirty macro solution to get things lined up. This is my first go round with a live drummer, usually I've relied on Jamstix or EZ Drummer, but I finally got a band that's really coming together and we have a bunch of material we've recorded live in my studio on a StudioLive III direct to SD and mixed in Studio One that we've narrowed down to a project's worth to multi track. Here's an example: https://soundcloud.com/steve-pape-49077 ... mer-born-1
by Blades on Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:45 am
Regarding who is in charge of the clock...

Of course, with a great group of musician s, all work together and the groove is established. Without a click, it will probably drift in and out of tempo with intentional and non-intentional changes.

The post was about a drummer staying on a click and all I was saying is that the PRIMARY role of the drummer is to hold down the clock not that the drummer is the only one with a part in that.

Depending on the music, it might be fine to have drift. If working against machines or arpegiators or whatever it just gets sloppy.

Sounds like if you are happy withe musicality of the drummer you might need to leave things alone. Fixing the tempo to be on the grid will probably remove that musicality on trade.

Hope that makes sense. Didn't mean to offend. :)
Last edited by Blades on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by roblof on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:27 am
I remember in the early days having problems following a click when playing the drums (or any other instrument for that matter). But then I realized that I had no issues following pre-recorded music.

So I started to use a simple drum groove that looped throughout the song so I could keep the required tempo. Today I can play to a click...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by SwitchBack on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:32 am
There's a lot of freedom in tempo mapping too. No problem to have the tempo tighter where you want it and leave other sections alone. It's a creative tool if you want it to be :)

24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2