23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Basically I don't want it to not recognize my plugins all of a sudden or for me to have to go back through a bunch of locations and get that crap working. Or have it not recognize recent projects or anything. I just don't want any hiccups or frustrations. All of my plugins are in one folder on my HDD anyway. Some other questions:

When do you think it will go on sale? Black friday? Because I have some work to do for a client where I plan to heavily use Impact and Sample One (which I used for him last time) so I'd like to grab the update soon, but if we suspect there will be a sale then I don't mind waiting a bit. $150 *is* a bit steep for what is basically some upgrades to a couple plugins that I like.

Do you like Impact XT and Sample One XT? In what ways do you think they're better?

Thanks!

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:21 pm
There were some initial issues for some with 4.0.0 but now we have a version which has addressed many things at 4.0.1. Personally for me the whole process has been totally painless and I just love V4. I think it is way ahead of V3.

Sample One XT and Impact XT are vast improvements over the original versions which have been in need of an update and now have been refreshed very well indeed.

There are many new features in V4 not in V3. Check out some videos on Studio One Expert for example to get a handle on all the new features. See if the new features interest you and will improve the way you work e.g. Chord Track, Pattern Editor, Drum Editor, Import Song data, AAF import/export, Ripple edit mode, bar offsets now, Track notes, some great GUI improvements etc..

Some with Waves plugins have had a few issues as Waves has just gone from V9 to V10 and in the process there have been some hiccups. If you do the Waves upgrade carefully and correctly you won't have any issues.

Plug-in scanning has caused some things for some but I think most of that has been resolved now. I had no issues and my effects and synth plug-ins were all found and work no problem.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by codyhazelle on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:42 pm
A cursory glance told me the plugins problems was with Windows 7, which I'm not running. Would you recommend I go into my Waves central and update everything there first and then go and update to SO4, or the other way around?

Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, AMD Ryzen R7 1700 3GHz, Radeon RX 480, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 2, Studio One 4 Pro
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 pm
Good question and maybe others might chime in with some ideas on that.

To be honest I cannot remember what I did first because I did them both very close to each other. I think what happened in my case was I went to V4 first and all my Waves plugins showed up after the V4 install. Then I went from Waves V9 to V10.

It gets a little tricky if some of your Waves plug-ins are out of their WUP (Waves Update Plan) and are no longer getting free updates. When you go from V9 to V10 you will be asked if you want to keep your V9 stuff. I answered NO (I should have thought that first, I was a bit quick there!) and the 2 out of my 25 Waves plugins that I had that were not getting free updates anymore disappeared all together under V10. You are able to buy individual WUP plans for just one plug-in for around $10 or so and I did this for the two missing ones and all was fine again.

But say YES to this question instead and your V9 out of date plugins will still be there under V10 (except they will be at V9). They should all work fine too.

You just have to decide then whether to pay for all of them to update and stay updated ($225 capped price for all Waves plug-ins for a year) Or just leave them alone and keep using them as they are. Or just buy the odd individual update plan for them. Mostly the updates are nothing world shattering so you just keep using them after they run out of their WUP. But if a plug-in gets some serious improvements and new features then maybe just get the plan for that one. It is possible to find out what the updates are up to here I believe:

https://www.waves.com/downloads/release-notes#v10

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jih64 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:35 pm
For me it was painless and worth the price of admission even if you didn't use all the new stuff, well worth it to have the current version with updates for the next 2 or 3 years (if things are the same as v3 -v4), and keep the same rock solid stability and speed that I always had with v3. ymmv ;)

As for Waves, I had zero issues updating my eligible plugins to v10 while keeping the rest at v9, have a read, the process was easy as. As for before or after Studio One v4, not sure it matters, I done Studio One 4 first then Waves v10 simply because that's the release timeline, everything works perfectly.
by Vocalpoint on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:11 am
For me - it was amazing. And I have a bunch of Waves stuff as well. Be sure to get your Waves stuff working 100% in v3 - upgrade the Waves installer etc so that is set. Then use the 4.01 installer for S1v4.

My install was so tidy - when S1v4 started for the first time - it even remembered the exact positioning (On the Windows desktop) that I used with v3. It was so uncanny - I thought it was my v3 install - so I just started a new project and got right back to it.

Yesterday - I gave v4 the big test which was a 50 minute voiceover session with all the usual heavy editing, wav file creation etc - it was flawless.

I say get in there!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by WaterlooSunset on Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 am
I had no hiccups at all. I think there was only one new soundset (or i never downloaded it before).
Waves and all VST worked. Just had to add some paths in S1 options.

I feel lucky, not bragging.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by robertgray3 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 am
On Mac I seem to recall having to re-do all my keyboard shortcuts and preferences.

It sounds like you're matching a v3 workflow with Sample One and Impact for a client. If that involves using v3 patches and kits you may want to set aside some time to use the Demo version and play with Sample One XT and Impact XT for your specific application. They've improved the v3 compatibility a ton in v4.0.1 but you may just want to make sure it fits your bill. If you’re using an old song file make a copy because once you save it you can’t open it in 3 again.

I think v4.0.1 is pretty great but it's always hard to gauge how happy someone is going to be with switching and preserving an older version's workflow, song file, etc. Especially if the changeover is expected to be done quickly, seamlessly, and "on the clock" so to speak. Every user's situation is different so demoing it and leaving your v3 install is imho the safer of the options.
Last edited by robertgray3 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by BobF on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:19 am
In my case, not only was it painless, it cured pains I already had ;)

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by matthewgorman on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 am
Just as a point of reference, I haven't updated any waves plugs for over a year or more, and had no issues moving over to 4. Pretty much the same experience I have had moving from 1-2, then 2-3.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by donaldbaarns on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:34 pm
I think the major thing I haven't seen mention:

By default, S1 4 installs in its own folder, doesn't disturb your v3 install. You will have both on your machine, and if there is an issue, you can go back to 3.

For most of us, it was a seamless update, especially if you're on Win10 or the Mac. But everybody is unique, so the parallel install is a huge win.

Once you save a song as v4, it can't be opened in v3, but if you do a "Save As" after opening in v4, you'll have both versions available to you.

Very low risk. Go for it.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by Steve Carter on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 pm
Unsure whether this should be on a new thread but...

I'm on the cusp of (finally) getting my mixes (all S1v3) into the Project page for burning to CD. Should I do this before upgrading to S1v4 or will I be able to apply a mixture of songs mixed in v3 and v4 to the Project page in v4 without issues?

Regards.....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by leosutherland on Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am
Hi All

I've just leapt into the unknown and splashed out on 4.0.1 via this site (at work when I had a moment). So tonite I will discover exactly how painless or painful this is :roll:

I shall report back! :D

I will do a parallel install as has been recommended - my DAW machine only runs DAW stuff, so should be nothing there to interfere with things.

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.6
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, Maschine 3

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Jemusic on Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 pm
If you were on V3 before upgrading to V4.0.1 then the V3 folder will already be there and it will be left alone. When you install V4 it automatically creates a V4 folder. You do not have to do anything special here in order to create a parallel install.

Anything else that you may do might mess this up. i.e. do not create any special folders for V4.

Studio One always creates a new folder when there is a major upgrade in versions e.g. V3 to V4. Updates of a current version are put into their original folder. i.e. when 4.1 comes out it will overwrite 4.0.1 and go into the same V4 folder.

by leosutherland on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 am
Painless :punk:

No worries (so far)

Jemusic wroteIf you were on V3 before upgrading to V4.0.1 then the V3 folder will already be there and it will be left alone. When you install V4 it automatically creates a V4 folder. You do not have to do anything special here in order to create a parallel install.

Anything else that you may do might mess this up. i.e. do not create any special folders for V4.

Studio One always creates a new folder when there is a major upgrade in versions e.g. V3 to V4. Updates of a current version are put into their original folder. i.e. when 4.1 comes out it will overwrite 4.0.1 and go into the same V4 folder.

Very true - what I was trying to say was I wasn't going to purposefully replace V3 instead during the install, ie I was going to let the thing do what the thing does :).

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by Lokeyfly on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:17 am
I'll be loading v4, myself soon, so just a thanks of your experiences from my POV. Not that i had any concern of a new install. My delay was more about finishing a project is all, or I would have jumped on updating. Still a few weeks away. I'm picking up a DAC amp, and CD publishing. I am using win7, so ill keep an eye on that, so if it's smooth sailing, I'll report that it goes well for any others inquiring.

Someone will always have an issue somewhere. It's like hearing about a plane crash. Suddenly, some people are hesitant to fly thereafter, discounting the thousands per day successful flights. It's that little ink dot on a sheet of paper that ruins it. Oh wait, bad example. We don't use paper any longer. :XD:

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by billsaunders1 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:17 am
I have to say, I find this thread very reassuring. Like someone else said, I am not convinced that I need any of the new features as such, although some might be fun. My motivation is simply having up to date and supported software for music making, which is an important part of my life.

I don't object to investing in V4 simply for that, so long as it is painless and as wonderfully stable as V3 has been since I left Sonar behind last year :)

Guess I'll press the upgrade button very soon.

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro5.5 Win11 64bit i7-12700 32GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 8i6 3rd gen
by darrenporter1 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 am
billsaunders1 wroteMy motivation is simply having up to date and supported software for music making, which is an important part of my life.

I don't object to investing in V4 simply for that, so long as it is painless and as wonderfully stable as V3 has been since I left Sonar behind last year :)

Yeah all that was my motivation to upgrade... bug fixes and eventually new features that will apply more to what I do. Also a Sonar refugee.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by leosutherland on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:26 am
darrenporter1 wrote
billsaunders1 wroteMy motivation is simply having up to date and supported software for music making, which is an important part of my life.

Yeah all that was my motivation to upgrade... bug fixes and eventually new features that will apply more to what I do. Also a Sonar refugee.

This is a me too ;)

I probably won't be using most of the new functionality either, except maybe drum editor - more interested in behind-the-scenes improvements and fixes, and future upgrades/hotfixes etc.

The main thing I want in S1 is a halfway decent staff editor - I dislike using this crazy link between S1 and Notion, it don't do the creative flow a lot of good :(

Ditto on the Sonar.

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by codyhazelle on Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 pm
One more thing guys, just so I'm 100% sure:

I'm currently working on an album. I'm about halfway through. I have final mixes of songs in various projects. Let's say I upgrade to SO4. Will there be any problem at all opening up those old projects? The worst case scenario I have wav tracks bounced down of the last mixes but I'd like to be able to go in and adjust them if need be.

23 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2