14 posts
Page 1 of 1
When recording midi using Presence, the piano sounds great and the sustain pedal works as expected. But when I play back the recorded midi, the sustain pedal doesn't work properly. I see that the sustain pedal was recorded. But it has a value of 1 when the pedal is not engaged and a value of 0 when it is engaged. It seems that when the pedal is engaged, it is cutting off the sustain rather than sustaining the note. Any ideas on how to reverse the polarity of the recorded sustain? I cannot reverse the polarity of the sustain pedal itself because then when the keyboardist is playing, all of his notes sustain until he presses the sustain pedal.

Win 10 64-bit, 4 Core i7 @ 2.80GHz: 16Gb DDR4 SDRAM, Audiobox USB, Studio One 3.5 Pro 64-Bit (purchased Feb 18, 2018, 1 month before the grace period...)
StudioLogic numa compact 2 keyboard, Nektar sustain pedal.
by Trucky on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm
Please update your signature to include your keyboard & pedal information.

Check this video out to see how it compares to your settings:

https://youtu.be/DKgmfCFIBEY

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by donaldfincher on Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:38 am
Thanks for the reply Trucky. The filters are all turned off and the sustain pedal midi is being recorded. I tried using the "delete short notes" command, and it does help in some cases, but in other cases, the keyboardist is playing notes that are getting deleted by that delete short notes command. So rather than fixing the sustain issue in general, it only works if the keyboardist is playing notes longer than the threshold set for the delete short notes command. So, the sustain still isn't working.

Win 10 64-bit, 4 Core i7 @ 2.80GHz: 16Gb DDR4 SDRAM, Audiobox USB, Studio One 3.5 Pro 64-Bit (purchased Feb 18, 2018, 1 month before the grace period...)
StudioLogic numa compact 2 keyboard, Nektar sustain pedal.
by iragoldstein on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:36 pm
Hi donaldfincher,

Did you ever figure this one out? I'm in the same situation. I don't have any options checked and when I record the sustain pedal works fine, but on playback everything is the opposite.

Running the most current version of Studio One 4.

Computer: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" -- 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 -- 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 -- 2TB SSD

DAC: UAD Arrow

Midi Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es + Neewer sustain pedal with polarity switch
by garyshepherd on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am
I ended up buying a new sustain pedal which gave you the option of reversing the "polarity" and that has worked - inexpensive if annoying.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by tezza on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 am
I'm interested in this as well, just got a pedal for my Novation Launchkey, will try out tomorrow morning and report back findings.

Gary, I think your referring to a different problem, one that I also had. The issue of using the correct polarity pedal with the keyboard. If you use the wrong one, then when you put you foot down it won't sustain but when you take your foot off, it sustains. I too ended up getting a dual polarity switchable pedal to use with my current keyboard and to cover me for any other that I buy.

I think Iragoldstein is referring to a situation whereby the pedal is the correct polarity with the keyboard and works fine with that. It will also record ok but when the track is played back, studio one is somehow inverting the sustain info or recording different info to begin with that reverses the sustain information on the automation track during playback.

OS: Win 7, 64 bit. MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. CPU: Intel 3.4ghz, i5-3570, LGA1155. RAM: 8g DDR3 1333Mhz. 1 X SSD (OS) 2 X 7200 HDD (Recording/Samples). Steinberg UR44, Nektar Impact LX61. KRK Rokit 4 G3. S1 Pro V3.5.6. NI Komplete Ultimate 10.
by garyshepherd on Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:56 am
Understood - not had that problem.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by tezza on Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:27 pm
I had a look at this today.

I started up and used a stand alone VST piano to test the new sustain pedal with my keyboard, everything ok, the pedal sustains when pushed down and ceases when returning to up position, no need to switch polarity on the pedal. Had a bit of a jam, everything working ok.

Start up Mixcraft pro 8.

Recorded and played back an Acoustica piano instrument, everything worked as expected, sustain pedal records and plays back as expected. Did the same with a Kontakt piano, Alicias keys, again no problems, everything works as expected.

My Novation Launchkey keyboard and the generic sustain pedal are working as expected with standalone VST instruments and also inside a DAW (Mixcraft) when playing, recording and playing back recorded content.

Started up Studio One and opened a small project I am working on. Inserted Instrument track, put a Kontakt instrument (Alecia's keys) on the track and had a quick jam with the other instruments.

Keyboard and sustain pedal works as expected. Recorded a passage using the sustain pedal. Passage recorded and played back as expected, sustain pedal working as expected.

Everything recorded and played back without issue, unable to replicate the sustain pedal problem indicated in this thread with version 3.5.2.44603.

Thought I would update my version of Studio One and retest.

Now on version 3.5.6.46910

Everything working as expected, tried some presence instruments as well. All record and playback sustain as supposed to.

Unable to replicate the sustain problem indicated in this thread. Everything worked as it should straight away without any changing of settings.

Unable to test version 4 as I don't have that version.

OS: Win 7, 64 bit. MB: ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS. CPU: Intel 3.4ghz, i5-3570, LGA1155. RAM: 8g DDR3 1333Mhz. 1 X SSD (OS) 2 X 7200 HDD (Recording/Samples). Steinberg UR44, Nektar Impact LX61. KRK Rokit 4 G3. S1 Pro V3.5.6. NI Komplete Ultimate 10.
by Jemusic on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:37 pm
Just out of interest I am connected to my computer via a 5 pin MIDI OUT signal being generated from my controller and feeding into a midi interface on its own private USB port. (PCI Based)

With USB only in the case of the Novation controller can you check to see what else is going on with the USB port. What else is connected there. This may be a USB port related issue only as well. The sustain message is being flipped for some reason. It never happens over midi.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by tezza on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:41 pm
Are you referring to my novation Jemusic? I don't have a problem with the sustain issue, just trying to replicate the problem unsuccessfully. Regarding which USB input I use with the keyboard, it gets whatever is available wherever on the computer, USB 3.0 or 2.0 back or front. I find it always works without problem regardless of which USB port I use and whatever is on that same bus.

by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:59 am
Here’s something to try:

Some keyboards revert their pedal input on/off response depending on if the pedal is plugged in before or after the keyboard is powered up. So try flipping the pedal’s on/off switch and change your pedal plug-in/power up routine. That may get the pedal to work OK both for S1 and for the keyboard.
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:26 pm
SwitchBack wroteHere’s something to try:

Some keyboards revert their pedal input on/off response depending on if the pedal is plugged in before or after the keyboard is powered up. So try flipping the pedal’s on/off switch and change your pedal plug-in/power up routine. That may get the pedal to work OK both for S1 and for the keyboard.

This is very good advice. I have seen some very strange behaviour in terms of plugging in sustain pedals either before or after powering up. In terms of their own behaviour and what is being sent to a DAW. (with Yamaha and Nord synths especially) Although I would imagine in many cases the sustain pedal has not been removed for some time.

If the sustain pedal has been plugged in for a while, it might be good to pull it out, power up and down and then repatch pedal back in. Maybe clean plug and spray some contact cleaner in the socket etc.. Sometimes when plugs are not touched for a long time, a form of corrosion builds between the contacts and could send misleading information.

The internal sound engine of a keyboard may be getting the right message but the message being sent over USB may be different and corrupted for some reason.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by stevenhelton on Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:47 pm
tezza wroteI'm interested in this as well, just got a pedal for my Novation Launchkey, will try out tomorrow morning and report back findings.

Gary, I think your referring to a different problem, one that I also had. The issue of using the correct polarity pedal with the keyboard. If you use the wrong one, then when you put you foot down it won't sustain but when you take your foot off, it sustains. I too ended up getting a dual polarity switchable pedal to use with my current keyboard and to cover me for any other that I buy.

I think Iragoldstein is referring to a situation whereby the pedal is the correct polarity with the keyboard and works fine with that. It will also record ok but when the track is played back, studio one is somehow inverting the sustain info or recording different info to begin with that reverses the sustain information on the automation track during playback.

Thanks. I believe my polarity was reversed also. Didn't even know that was a thing. I had sustain after I lifted my foot, but not while my foot was on the pedal.

Steve_382 - Presonus Studio 68c, Studio One Artist 4, Roland A-800 Pro keyboard, plus various guitar stuff. Complete beginner on DAW software and not much better as a musician, but I really enjoy it.
by davidanson on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:10 pm
Not sure when anyone will see this question, but I thought I'd throw it out to the S1 users:
Similar (but not exactly the same) situation. As of this writing, I have latest version 4.6.2.58729.
When I play my instruments (e.g., Pianoteq 7 and Omnisphere) in standalone, all is well, And all is well when I play & record in S1; however, when I play BACK what I've recorded--even though the notes are shown as sustaining w/in the piano roll--all I hear is a plunk, as if I played the notes staccato. To be clear, I am not referring to using the sustain pedal--that works as indicated. It's the held notes that will not sustain.
For what it's worth, I had to reload S1 on a new computer ( Dell 7020, Windows 10, i5, 3.3 GHz). I did not have this issue on my former Dell Inspiron laptop, whose CPU was not robust enough to handle Omnisphere. The reload seemed to go without a hitch--until this. . .
As you can imagine, any help greatly appreciated. I am kind of at an impasse until this is resolved.

Studio One 4.6
Omnispehere 2.6; StyluxRMX Xpanded; Pianoteq 7; Roland XV 5080
Audiobox USB 96
controller Korg Kronos2 88

14 posts
Page 1 of 1