11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm seeing the term "single track" ripple editing being bandied about - can you select across multiple/all tracks - i.e. a verse or bridge - and now move them about freely? Or does it literally just work on one track at a time?
by lawrencefarr on Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am
Not sure who coined that phrase here or why but no. If you select X clips across X tracks and (for example) delete them or move them, everything involved ripples, if the option is on.

Hope that helps.

Studio One Technical Support | QA
------------------------------------------------
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by BobF on Wed May 23, 2018 11:57 am
For moving entire sections, having the regions defined in the arranger track makes it single click-drag simple

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by ricstudioc on Wed May 23, 2018 12:05 pm
PreSonuSupt4 wroteNot sure who coined that phrase here or why but no. If you select X clips across X tracks and (for example) delete them or move them, everything involved ripples, if the option is on.

Hope that helps.

Very much so, thanks - I came to SO at v1.5 from Sonar, and of all the things SO was missing at the time "ripple" edit (what I call "true insert") was the most annoying. Seeing how it's taken this long to put it, woulda been a kick in the pants to only work on one track at a time.

Thanks!
by bassfx on Wed May 23, 2018 12:19 pm
Presonus Ripple Editing is comparable to a single track (aka PER-track, aka POST-SELECTION) ripple edit mode, meaning it is only active on the track with the event you are touching PLUS whatever else you've selected on other tracks. So it's a pseudo-multi-track ripple edit, dependent on what events you've selected. And it's a good implementation. No complaints here. I'm thrilled it's here. Thank you again to Presonus! (I started another thread with my thanks!)

However, it is NOT a true ALL-track ripple edit mode. An ALL-track ripple edit mode will move/ripple ALL events/content on ALL tracks after the selected item, EVEN if you select ONLY ONE EVENT ON ONE TRACK. Basically EVERYTHING in the entire song follows when you are using an ALL-track ripple edit mode, without any extra keystrokes or selections. It's a massive time-saver for certain workflows, and simply would be an expansion of the current Ripple Edit mode.

My request would be that Presonus implement an ALL-track Ripple Edit mode with either another toggle button (like the current Ripple feature has), or with a modifier key.

The only way to ripple ALL tracks with the new S1 Ripple Edit mode is to SELECT events on ALL tracks, which can be very difficult to do if you have a large project, and events are spread out over the timeline. It is easy to miss one, thus causing mayhem later on, especially if you think you've already grabbed one event on each track. If you missed one event/track, then that track WILL NOT RIPPLE. So that's obviously not a good thing in some cases.

And then, when you are done moving the other items, the selection of events is DESELECTED, which is another workflow blockage if you need to continue moving ALL tracks, nudging/dragging things around while rippling. The current feature would require you to RE-SELECT all the relevant starting events again if you need to ripple events on all tracks again, and thus increasing the possibility of human error again. Hope that makes sense. This only really matters when you have lots and lots of tracks to ripple. For smaller projects, the current implementation is more than fine.

Some DAWs and video editing apps have TWO Ripple Editing modes or a different kind of Ripple Editing mode to cover this exact scenario... so for the purposes of people new to Ripple Editing (especially multi-track ripple editing), it's easier to distinguish between a PER-track Ripple Edit mode and an ALL-track Ripple Edit mode. That's why I (and others) have mentioned this in other threads.

So all that is why the Presonus Ripple Edit mode -- while good and appreciated and very very useful -- is NOT an ALL-track ripple edit mode. It would be wonderful if Presonus added an ALL-track mode, and I will put in a feature request for it.

A good example of implementation of both kinds of Ripple Edit modes is found in Reaper BTW, so you can compare what I'm talking about. But Reaper is not the only app that can do something like this.

The only way to really do ALL-track ripple in Studio One right now, besides the selection method I just mentioned, is to use the Arranger Track (define a region for your arrangement, then manipulate at will), OR to create a selection and use Delete Time. Both methods are also helpful, but not as powerful and quick as an ALL-track ripple edit mode that lets you quickly click and drag without having to reselect, recreate regions or press any extra buttons/keys.

So there are various ways to go around doing this kind of task in Studio One, but it would be wonderful if they added a true ALL-track Ripple Edit mode as well, which would theoretically be a small addition to Studio One, since one flavor of Ripple Edit is already available.

Again, hope that all makes sense. And I don't mean to be greedy asking for ALL-track Ripple Edit mode right after they just gave us PER-track Ripple Edit mode. :D
by lawrencefarr on Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm
Makes perfect sense to me. More developed ripple edit features (Vegas, etc, etc) do have contextual or optional layers for what ripples or not, like you suggest above.

This is an "iteration one" being a brand new feature here so yes, there is certainly some room for it to grow.

Thanks for your comments.

Studio One Technical Support | QA
Issue Reporting Add-On - Version 4.3.0
Kontakt 6 | MOTU Mach 5 | Spitfire BBCSO Core & Albion One | Cinematic Studio Solo Strings | Vienna Synchron Prime | Cinesamples Musio | NI Session Horns Pro | Toontrack EZ Drummer, EZ Bass,& EZ Keys | Relab LX480 Complete | Soundtoys Little Plate & Echoboy
by dustradio on Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 pm
Just poking my head into say this includes the tempo track, so if you've beat mapped your project, you need to make sure it's selected as well when performing any global ripple edits. This just bit me.

Edit to add, you need to shift delete the ripple selection to 86 both the audio and tempo track. just hitting delete will delete the last thing you selected
by nk_e on Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 am
Jdurham,

Post a link to the FR so we can vote it up...!

aka "gesslr" or "george napier"

10 core iMacPro 1,1 | 64GB | OSX 10.15.6 | S1Pro 5.0.1 | MOTU I/O | Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.storyaudio.com
FB: geo.napier3

PLEASE SUPPORT THESE FRs

Video follows edit mode
http://tinyurl.com/yc2gc9b3

Studio One Workspaces
http://tinyurl.com/ybgfjpoj
by bassfx on Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 am
nk_e wroteJdurham,

Post a link to the FR so we can vote it up...!

Will do! I am tied up in a project right now so I can't get away for more than a few minutes here and there, and I want to create a well-written and precise FR so it actually has a chance to succeed. May take a few more days before I can get back to this issue. If someone else does it before me, please post the link here and I'll vote it up!
by tarsonis on Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 am
So as I understand it doesn't work for example for hidden automation lanes?

PC: Intel i7-3770 4GHz | Asus P8Z77-LX | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | ASUS 960 GTX 4GB | Nesteq ASM-X Semi-Silent | Crucial SSD | Sasmung Spinpoint | RME HDSP 9632 | UAD-1 | WIN 10 Pro 64bit
DAW: S1 Pro 4 | Ableton 10 Suite | FL Studio 9 (hate the way they changed the piano roll in the new versions)
Hardware Synth: Clavia Nord Rack
Monitoring: GENELEC 8040A / Focal Shape 65 / Auratone (full threated room) | Own Mod Headphones (best / flattest Headphone on planet)
Benchmark DAC1 USB | Mackie Big Knob
by bassfx on Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 am
tarsonis wroteSo as I understand it doesn't work for example for hidden automation lanes?

It DOES work for hidden automation lanes FOR TRACKS ON WHICH YOU HAVE SELECTED EVENTS TO RIPPLE.

In other words, as long as the actual event is moved/rippled/selected, ALL the automation will move/ripple with it, whether or not that automation is visible. I have tested this myself, however I have not used it hard core in production yet, so I can't say if there are any bugs with it. But in theory, EVERYTHING that is part of the ripple selection will ripple, hidden or not. Hope that makes sense.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1