203 postsPage 5 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11
I literally (in the old sense of the word) tested all the drivers from 388.31 forward. The problem definitively starts with the 39x.xx.

They didn't have to test -every- driver on Win7. Testing against just the most recent would have illustrated the problem.

As far as it being NVidia's problem? No. Not when the entire line of 39x.xx drivers is not accepted by v4, but v3 runs just fine on them, as does every other application and game I run. When even v3 runs fine on the latest, I don't know how you can even hedge on this. You're being an apologist. That multiple people here have tracked it down (and I have a complete list of drivers and their results back to 388.31) is indisputable. Good luck saying our evidence isn't evidence. You're incorrect. It's -damned- conclusive. I'm not -jumping- to anything. I spent 1.5hrs doing PreSonus' own work last night -proving- it empirically. I have all the proof I need, as I ran the bloody empirical experiment myself. I -do- have proof. I did more work on it than you (or PreSonus, for that matter) have done, by far, so don't even try to invalidate that effort.

And your "solutions" aren't. They're gross hack workarounds. Rolling back your drivers to suit one program is ludicrous, especially when games expect and are optimised for the latest drivers. You have a vary myopic view of video drivers if you recommend that with a straight face. I can only assume you use your computer for a single purpose, because that's frankly insane for a multi-use system. Rolling back to v3 negates 100% of the value of having purchased v4. How you think either is a valid option is beyond comprehension.

I'll agree to disagree...vehemently.

Credit to the original discoverer of the conflict for giving me something to run with so I -could- test empirically.

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, i7 4960X @ 3.6GHz, 64GB DDR3, ASUS Rampage IV Black, 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 850 SSD, 6TB WD Black HDD x 2, Creative ZxR, EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified, 2160p resolution, Oxygen 61 and AKAI MPD-232 MIDI, ZEDi 10FX
by PreAl on Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 pm
markluljak wroteI literally (in the old sense of the word) tested all the drivers from 388.31 forward. The problem definitively starts with the 39x.xx.

They didn't have to test -every- driver on Win7. Testing against just the most recent would have illustrated the problem.

As far as it being NVidia's problem? No. Not when the entire line of 39x.xx drivers is not accepted by v4, but v3 runs just fine on them, as does every other application and game I run. When even v3 runs fine on the latest, I don't know how you can even hedge on this. You're being an apologist. That multiple people here have tracked it down (and I have a complete list of drivers and their results back to 388.31) is indisputable. Good luck saying our evidence isn't evidence. You're incorrect. It's -damned- conclusive. I'm not -jumping- to anything. I spent 1.5hrs doing PreSonus' own work last night -proving- it empirically. I have all the proof I need, as I ran the bloody empirical experiment myself. I -do- have proof. I did more work on it than you (or PreSonus, for that matter) have done, by far, so don't even try to invalidate that effort.

And your "solutions" aren't. They're gross hack workarounds. Rolling back your drivers to suit one program is ludicrous, especially when games expect and are optimised for the latest drivers. You have a vary myopic view of video drivers if you recommend that with a straight face. I can only assume you use your computer for a single purpose, because that's frankly insane for a multi-use system. Rolling back to v3 negates 100% of the value of having purchased v4. How you think either is a valid option is beyond comprehension.

I'll agree to disagree...vehemently.

Credit to the original discoverer of the conflict for giving me something to run with so I -could- test empirically.

Firstly please let me correct you, you wrote:
"Your solutions" with quote marks around it, implying I wrote this when I actually used the word "workaround".

Also you seem to imply that I'm trying to say it is a non issue. Again wrong.. I've already acknowledged Win7 users are having problems you should learn to read my posts.

Also please don't call me an apologist either just because I disagree with you.

Please don't make things up in future or put words into my mouth.

Anyway good luck with those thoughts.

I'm not sure how you can square the circle that it DEFINITELY MUST be Presonus's code, there is simply no evidence for it yet, it could easily be an Nvidea issue with the Win7 driver as it does not effect Win10... Do you have access to Presonus's / NVidea codebase to find out for sure? No I didn't think so... Nor do I.

In regards to rolling back your display adapter which you call a "gross hack workaround" please let us know what game/s this is stopping you from playing.. btw you may want to reconsider installing games on your OS. I have a multiboot OS situation myself which gets around this, I will only install audio software on Windows.

Also I strongly recommend Windows 10 and again avoiding installing new software until it matures if it is that critical for you. ;)

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by PreAl on Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm
Just a further thought..

Those who still have this issue (with Win7) and are running the latest drivers please try turning off the shader cache in the NVidea control panel and restart your PC.

I actually have it turned off myself as it improves DAW performance (not so much for games). As the shader cache uses quite a lot of file I/O it's worth a go to see what happens.

The shader cache folder should also be excluded from your antivirus.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jpettit on Sat May 26, 2018 1:32 pm
IMHO People on a 9 year old operation system should consider themselves lucky that it is still supported as long as they were not running the 32 bit version of S1. ;-)

Much compatibility testing was done but it is not resonable to test all possible configurations of a PC.

The investigation continues to actual lower resolutions.
They will have a solution soon.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Sat May 26, 2018 1:36 pm
jpettit wroteIMHO People on a 9 year old operation system should consider themselves lucky that it is still supported as long as they were not running the 32 bit version of S1. ;-)

Yup, application and hardware/driver support on Win7 is fading fast (good luck with the latest games lol).

by markluljak on Sat May 26, 2018 5:02 pm
*facepalm* Turning...off...the...shader...cache...

No application is worth resorting to such [edit] manoevers. If it can't be run normally, it won't be run here.

As for Win7, it's still officially supported by Microsoft for another year and a half, and it has the market penetration that anyone who wants to be taken seriously won't yank support for at least another year. The only company I know that's arrogant enough to do that would be Native Instruments, and so far even they haven't been that stupid.

Win10 is an MS-spyware-infested [edit] with a lousy GUI by comparison. I'm waiting until almost the last possible minute before grudgingly upgrading. I'm especially not looking forward to MS Office unregistering itself and having to spend three hours on the phone with MS convincing them to reactivate what I've legitimately purchased because their code [edit]. I have better things to do for now.

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, i7 4960X @ 3.6GHz, 64GB DDR3, ASUS Rampage IV Black, 1TB Samsung Evo Pro 850 SSD, 6TB WD Black HDD x 2, Creative ZxR, EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified, 2160p resolution, Oxygen 61 and AKAI MPD-232 MIDI, ZEDi 10FX
by donaldbaarns on Sat May 26, 2018 7:11 pm
PreAl wrote
jpettit wroteIMHO People on a 9 year old operation system should consider themselves lucky that it is still supported as long as they were not running the 32 bit version of S1. ;-)

Yup, application and hardware/driver support on Win7 is fading fast (good luck with the latest games lol).

I'm with you guys. I look forward to the day PreSonus stops supporting it.

It takes testing/developmental resources away from adding additional features that would be helpful.

It actually could be a Nvidia issue, although PreSonus may be able to code around it -OR- fix the issue if it's their bug.

Just because other products work, doesn't mean it's not a Nvidia issue. It may be, it may not be.

Every time a driver is released by either Nvidia or AMD, there is a decent list of known issues in their release notes. They also list things they don't intend to fix... The older the OS, the more they have to work around as they move forward. Love it or hate it, Win10 is the future, although some will hang on until the bitter end.

Their choice, no stress from me.

While PreSonus has to support it now, it will be a great day when that support ends. The regression testing for something that old is brutal, and a huge resource hog, for something that will be unsupported in another year or two.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by PreAl on Sat May 26, 2018 7:19 pm
markluljak wrote*facepalm* Turning...off...the...shader...cache...
No application is worth resorting to such [edit] manoevers. If it can't be run normally, it won't be run here.

Then you misunderstand once again, the idea is to try to help the Dev's fix the issue so people like you can get up and running. I also said this actually is a good way of optimizing your DAW environment, performance will be improved for turning it off will reduce I/O.

Regardless I know whatever I write here is futile with you, you will simply find one excuse after another to behave rude to people who are trying to help. Frankly you are coming across grinchy and rather entitled (to put it mildly)... I'm past the point of caring this isn't all about you there are others here who are more polite and less vocal...

markluljak wroteWin10 is an MS-spyware-infested [edit] with a lousy GUI by comparison. I'm waiting until almost the last possible minute before grudgingly upgrading. I'm especially not looking forward to MS Office unregistering itself and having to spend three hours on the phone with MS convincing them to reactivate what I've legitimately purchased because their code [edit]. I have better things to do for now.

Fair enough if that's how you feel. This "spyware" is working excellent for me :lol: :lol: :lol: , I have no issues with scanning and it works great.... have a good day :thumbup:

by martin14 on Sun May 27, 2018 12:35 pm
markrobotham wroteThanks for the reply. It doesn't show anything, just the text that its scanning VST. I can`t even grab a screen shot to show, as it just freezes.
The first time you install, everything runs, vst scans etc, as normal. It`s after you close the program then come to open it again.
I uninstalled everything, .... reinstalled, again everything went as it should, ... reopened and stuck again, frustrating. Like I said V3 works fine and looking at some of the replies, I`m not the only one.

Yes, exactly the same problem for me too!!

(I'm running Windows 7 64bit)

ps. I managed to generate a screen capture by clicking on another open app on my other monitor -- see attached JPEG image -- showing where it hangs on the dreaded "Scanning Plug-Ins..."

Attachments
S1v4 boot hang.jpg
by Funkybot on Sun May 27, 2018 1:23 pm
martin14 wrote
markrobotham wroteThanks for the reply. It doesn't show anything, just the text that its scanning VST. I can`t even grab a screen shot to show, as it just freezes.
The first time you install, everything runs, vst scans etc, as normal. It`s after you close the program then come to open it again.
I uninstalled everything, .... reinstalled, again everything went as it should, ... reopened and stuck again, frustrating. Like I said V3 works fine and looking at some of the replies, I`m not the only one.

Yes, exactly the same problem for me too!!

(I'm running Windows 7 64bit)

ps. I managed to generate a screen capture by clicking on another open app on my other monitor -- see attached JPEG image -- showing where it hangs on the dreaded "Scanning Plug-Ins..."

1. Are you using Nvidia drivers?
2. Have you read the thread and tried downgrading your Nvidia drivers? if yes, same result? If not, is there a reason you can't? If not, try it.
3. You should be seeing another window pop-up that performs a quick plugin scan, is that window just not coming up at all?

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by martin14 on Sun May 27, 2018 1:36 pm
Funkybot wrote1. Are you using Nvidia drivers?
2. Have you read the thread and tried downgrading your Nvidia drivers? if yes, same result? If not, is there a reason you can't? If not, try it.
3. You should be seeing another window pop-up that performs a quick plugin scan, is that window just not coming up at all?

Q1 -- Yes (Dell laptop; i7 CPU; GT540M graphics card with 2GB onboard video RAM)
Q2 -- I absolutely refuse to mess around on my system with this kind of trial and error. My video drivers are just too critical for all my other apps. The onus here is on Presonus to do that kind of testing.
Q3 -- Nope, that special little external window to scan plugins isn't showing anymore. I saw it once, but I never saw it again thereafter.
by PreAl on Sun May 27, 2018 2:09 pm
Turning off the shader cache takes one minute. It's under Nvidia control panel->3D settings, change it and apply. Then reboot. If it does not work merely change it back. Could not be more simple.

It would be useful to at least know if this makes it work or not with latest driver/Win7.

Anyway I give up.

by martin14 on Sun May 27, 2018 2:15 pm
PreAl wroteTurning off the shader cache takes one minute. It's under Nvidia control panel->3D settings, change it and apply. Then reboot. If it does not work merely change it back. Could not be more simple.
It would be useful to at least know if this makes it work or not with latest driver/Win7.

I just did that. No difference.
by PreAl on Sun May 27, 2018 2:19 pm
martin14 wrote
PreAl wroteTurning off the shader cache takes one minute. It's under Nvidia control panel->3D settings, change it and apply. Then reboot. If it does not work merely change it back. Could not be more simple.

I just did that. No difference.

Brilliant thx. That was bugging me.

by martin14 on Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm
Another diagnostic observation:

~ Only after completely rebooting Windows 7 can I successfully launch S1v4.
~ However, after exiting Studio One v4, I cannot subsequently launch it again -- just hangs (so I have to re-start the PC).
~ But Studio One v3 has no problem booting.

Therefore something is definitely wrong with S1v4 .

ps. If it helps, Presonus are welcome to send me over a 'developer' version of S1v4 which produces a full boot / process trace log file (I'm sure they have one) and I can send them back the resultant log file.
by PreAl on Sun May 27, 2018 4:01 pm
martin14 wroteAnother diagnostic observation:

~ However, after exiting Studio One v4, I cannot subsequently launch it again -- just hangs (so I have to re-start the PC).

ps. If it helps, Presonus are welcome to send me over a 'developer' version of S1v4 which produces a full boot / process trace log file (I'm sure they have one) and I can send them back the resultant log file.

After Studio one is "closed"...
Check task manager and kill off any Studio One processes then perhaps it will start up again. Or perhaps turn audio interface off and on .. that may release a "stuck" audio driver.

by martin14 on Sun May 27, 2018 4:15 pm
PreAl wroteAfter Studio one is "closed"...
Check task manager and kill off any Studio One processes then perhaps it will start up again. Or perhaps turn audio interface off and on .. that may release a "stuck" audio driver.

But there aren't "any Studio One processes" running (after I've killed Studio One.exe in Task Manager)

As for "stuck audio drivers" -- that's irrelevant because the Asio audio drivers are connected into Studio One much further down the boot process.

Look -- instead of all this blind faffing around, let's start with a full boot trace log.
I'm happy to help with that.
by PreAl on Sun May 27, 2018 4:38 pm
These are things to try, no problem if you don't want to. I'm well aware of the low level nature of ASIO drivers.

Another thing is disabling any nvidia audio drivers for HDMI in device manager (if they exist for your display adapter) then reboot. Also try temporarily disabling antivirus as I suggested before as it worked for one user.

If studio one won't start up again after a reboot clearly there is some locked process which is stopping studio one. Usually it is it's own process, a child process, or a driver (probably Nvidia I suspect).

These are user forums, so users like me are gonna try and help (like it or not), If you need Presonus to help you it's probably best to create a support ticket with them.

by jpettit on Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm
martin14 wroteAnother diagnostic observation:

ps. If it helps, Presonus are welcome to send me over a 'developer' version of S1v4 which produces a full boot/process trace log file (I'm sure they have one) and I can send them back the resultant log file.

They are working on this but it is s three day holiday in the US so not much will happen until next week.
If you get it to boost up once (like you mention in the sequence), turn you plugin scanner off to see if it boots then.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by markluljak on Sun May 27, 2018 8:44 pm
Turning the plugin scanner off has absolutely no effect. That message about scanning plugins is presented whether it's on or off.

203 postsPage 5 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11