15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Anyone run into the issue shown below before? Basically sometimes arrange track sections get expanded seemingly infinitely when using "Move to New Scratch Pad"

I've started getting more into using the Scratch Pad when I'm toplining and floating ideas and ran into this pretty quickly but I haven't been able to duplicate it in a new project yet. I'm sure I'll narrow it down over time but maybe you guys have some ideas.

If you want to try and replicate it, just download this project file and follow the following steps:

1- Open the arranger track
2- Shift double click on the arranger track in the main arrange view to select all
3- Use the command "Move to New Scratch Pad"

BugTesting-MoveSPissueCase.song
Open this and try to use "Move to New Scratch Pad" with selecting all on the arrange track- potentially malfunctions
(14.61 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Mac OS X 10.12.6

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by robertgray3 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:05 pm
Also just ran into a case of this on another song where “Move to New Scratch Pad” created a new Scratch Pad but the selected parts just disappear instead of being transferred to the new pad.

Anyone seen this before? So far I’ve only seen these issues in songs with multiple scratch pads. I think I’m running into it because I’m starting to use scratch pads to save ideas by song section (Verses, Choruses, Prechoruses, Hooks, Outros, etc) so some of these songs have 4 or 5 going.

Just trying to look for any confirmation of this issue or the one in the OP song.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:29 pm
I tried your test song on both Mac and Windows. In Windows everything seems to work normally. All of your song sections did move completely. I did it several times and it was OK. I also created my own arrangement and tested and it was also good.

On my Mac however I did get some strange behaviour. It did not move the first time, but then it did for a few times but then not again. I found making sections of an arrangement slightly tricky and unpredictable. Setting the loop I wanted for each section suddenly defaulted to a much smaller loop.

How are you making the required section length of an arrangement? I would interested in your approach there.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robertgray3 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 pm
I’m just using CMD click to draw arrange blocks.

Looks like more fun hidden features for Mac users!

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Jemusic on Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:39 pm
Well you don't need to hold down Cmd in order to create an arrangement block either. On Windows all you need to do is set the loop markers above where you want an arrangement block to start and end and then simply double click (inside the arrangement lane) and it creates a block the correct size that matches the loop every time.

On the Mac double clicking only without Cmd also works but I see this does not happen too well. (Same with or without Cmd) Sometimes the arrangement block matches the loop set above but often it ignores that and only creates a one bar block and at random as well. It also then resets the loop markers to match this random block.

So there is something weird going on with the Mac version compared to the Windows version. Copying and moving arrangements seems to wok on Windows every time too. Mostly OK with this too on the Mac but I have seen some weird behaviour with this as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by garyshepherd on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:41 pm
I complained about Scratch Pad sometime ago saying it was virtually unusable due to anomalies - and proved it with some files and screen prints. It was supposed to be fixed in updates - but I stopped using it as I could not rely on it. It may be part of the same issue.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by robertgray3 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 pm
garyshepherd wroteI complained about Scratch Pad sometime ago saying it was virtually unusable due to anomalies - and proved it with some files and screen prints. It was supposed to be fixed in updates - but I stopped using it as I could not rely on it. It may be part of the same issue.

Yeah I’ve already reported a few and they just told me that QA was aware of it but they don’t know when the developers will fix it. I’ll just keep reporting anything I find I guess. It would really be a nifty feature for Mac users if it didn’t behave so erratically.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 am
From your video Rob, it appears you're clicking outside of the track of the scratchpad. Try it again, only click in the scratchpad right at the same track. This will direct the copy right to that same place. Even though no tracks are where you clicked, I'm pretty certain you've directed the paste to happen, outside of the track.

The only time I've seen tracks expand or get a bit wonky from pasting, is when pasting to a new location (and not just into a scratch pad), I would realize I either clicked to either some other track between pasting. It's happened on several occasions, and I'd then realize that if I made certain, the same selection was pasted over in the same way, by verifying the top highlighted tracks were the same (and all subsequent order of tracks, the same), it always pasted reliably after.

Try it. I think it may help. S1 is a bit finicky, needing to have the copied material directed to the same place. The difference I've encountered with the scratchpad (or another song) is the same, only it's a bit easier to click on some wrong, of other track, then paste, only to have the information fine in the wrong way.

Even when copying numerous tracks, follow that same top track guideline, and all tracks should move properly in one step.

Additional though related food for thought.
In the case of sending to another song, if one, or any track order is different, and/or a unintention other track click is made, then the cooy/paste process is not going to work.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by robertgray3 on Tue May 01, 2018 8:03 am
Have you tested the project on Mac or Windows?

I’m using the function “Move to New Scratch Pad”, as in, create a New Scratch Pad with that data that I’ve selected. Im not using copy/paste, as your post seems to indicate.

Anyway, I’m not really sure what your point is regarding track clicking and order in this case. The fact is “Move to New scratch Pad” works as expected when used with this exact process in other songs but in this test song it takes an 8 bar arrangement block and creates an arrangement block more than 65,000 bars long. I can see absolutely no reason why this function should behave in that manner.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by Lokeyfly on Tue May 01, 2018 6:07 pm
Im on a PC, laptop, and desktop. No issues.

As Jemusic mentioned, I'll either allocate loop markers, move to new scratchpad, or simply copy & Paste. No issues.

Jemusic wrote: Well you don't need to hold down Cmd in order to create an arrangement block either. On Windows all you need to do is set the loop markers above where you want an arrangement block to start and end and then simply double click (inside the arrangement lane) and it creates a block the correct size that matches the loop every time.

Agreed. No issues here. Not with "move to scratchpad", other than what I mentioned in a paste fashion.

It looked like there was some possibility you clicked in the scratchpad area Rob, but I couldn't tell for sure in your video.the cursor resides in the scratchpad area. Thought perhaps you may have clicked outside the track. Which can reap havoc in such cases.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Jemusic on Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 pm
There is even a nicer way to create new arranger sections as well. Go up top to the tool bar and grab the paint tool. Now in the arranger track just paint the new arrangement section you want for as long as it needs to be. No loop setting required etc..

The OP wants to select all the arrange sections at once and use the command move to a new scratchpad. This is not a copy or paste situation either but rather a move scenario. It does all work fine in Windows but sometimes plays weird on Mac.

by Lokeyfly on Wed May 02, 2018 3:14 am
The routine should work, but evidently on a Mac doesn't "sometimes" as the OP states. You have a Mac Jeff,and you haven't seen any issues from Move to new scratchpad. Yeah, somethings lurking in the background.

I simply brought up a workaround, not to solve, but provide an alternative.

Until then...... I'm sure we'll be hearing more from Robert3. :shock:

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by robertgray3 on Sat May 19, 2018 11:42 pm
Lokeyfly wroteUntil then...... I'm sure we'll be hearing more from Robert3. :shock:

Good prediction. :readit:

Just found out that issues with this function aren't limited to Mac. Created a test project on Windows 10 x86 3.5.6 where Move to New Scratch Pad simply gets rid of the data it's supposed to transfer.

Anyone run into this before? This project actually appears to be bugged in such a way that I can't even drag and drop arranger items to any scratch pad. I should be able to narrow it down when I get some free time, considering the project only has one track and there's only so much I could have done to get this error.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by roland1 on Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 am
Can you test the behavior on an earlier version of S1 - 3.54, perhaps?

Might help to show if the issue is update related.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by roland1 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:16 pm
FYI, my scratch pad locked up in Studio One 4.1 (PC w10 i7 7700) today when I tried to copy (an admittedly messy) song file section to a new scratch pad.

Luckily I'm not OCD, or I might be doing this all day... :)

My hope was to work on part of a song, not to post here. Damn.

FYI 2: I don't use the scratch pad much, so this is probably not a new thing.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)

15 posts
Page 1 of 1