7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have Windows 10 64-bit with 16GB RAM and an i7 3740qm 2.7 GHz and a Scarlett 18i8 interface.

Sometimes when I'm in the middle of mixing or recording or whatever (with lowish latency. Scarlett set to 5ms and the sample block size set to 256 with the Z on when recording) the sound will just completely stop, my MixControl will tell me there is no device connected (even though the interface is still on) and Windows freaks out and shuts itself off, saying it "ran into a problem :("

It's not consistent. For instance, it's happened when I have a single VST open and I'm running a single reverb plug in on an aux send. It's happened when I have multiple VSTs open and I'm running multiple FX all over on inserts and sends, regardless of the VST.

What the hell is happening here? My computer gives me no signs that something is about to be messed up. There's no chugging or digital noise or any problems--it just happens.

Normally it's not too big of a deal but this last time it corrupted a song file of mine. Luckily I had only been working on it for an hour or so so nothing great was lost, but I'd really like to solve this problem.

I've thought that maybe I need to update drivers but there don't appear to be any for my Scarlett.

I have my laptop sitting on my Scarlett. Is it possible there is some weird overheating happening between the two? Is it generally a bad idea to have my laptop on top of my interface?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, i7 3740QM 2.7GHz

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1

Studio One 4.1 Pro
by WaterlooSunset on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm
Could be HW or SW. Maybe the interface itself. Is there anything listed in Windows event viewer, maybe some event will point to something. Faulty cable? Power? Is USB powering it or do you have ext power. Overheat can cause strange things but no idea. Isolate one thing at a time.

Win 8.1, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 480Gb SSD, 2x1TB WD Blacks. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 4.something
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, BFD Eco GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A
by Jemusic on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm
Laptops can get pretty hot underneath and it may have something to do with it. Try taking it off the interface and keep the interface clear. Run the session again and see what happens. From memory the Scarlett does not get very hot on its own but with something hot directly on top of it then it may be a different story.

I know a friend of mine loaned me his RME Fireface 800 interface and it gets seriously hot on its own. If I want to put something on top of it I have to use some wood spacers on the top of it to create some air space.

If you really must have the laptop on top of the Scarlett you could use some spacers. e.g. an inch or so above.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8 and 2018- Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V4.5.4, Notion 6.5, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by codyhazelle on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:20 pm
So I set the Scarlett aside and also plugged it into a different USB slot. This USB cable I'm using is years old too (like maybe even ten years old?). I was working on a session for a while and nothing awful happened. We'll see if this continues.

What was really awful was apparently Studio One freaked the f*** out...It lost a lot of temp data and I had to redo some settings, reinstall impulse responses (?!?!) and a whole bunch of other stuff. Thank goodness just the one song file I was working on was corrupted and nothing else was actually lost.

Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 10 64-bit, 16GB RAM, i7 3740QM 2.7GHz

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1

Studio One 4.1 Pro
by jsljustin on Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 am
When you say windows says it "ran into a problem", is it a blue screen (BSOD) or just a small window popping up?

If windows is restarting, it sounds like a major system crash, blue screen or not. There is a setting in Windows (right click on "This PC" and select "Properties", then >> Advanced System Settings, then >> Advanced (tab) >> then >> Startup and Recovery (settings) , then >> (uncheck) "automatically restart".

By unchecking this, you can at least (hopefully) stop windows from rebooting if it encounters a major problem.

Apart from that, there might be clues in Event viewer as to what is happening. If you go into the control panel, you will find the event viewer under Administrative Tools. Once in event viewer, if you have a look under either Windows Logs, and under either Application, or System, you might be able to have a look at dates and times and see if there is an error log corresponding to your crash's date and time.

Justin
----------
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel i7, 16GB RAM, PrismSound Lyra 2 / Audient ID14, Presonus Studio One Professional v4
by midiman4 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 pm
I know this thread is over a year old, but for anyone who runs into this problem on Windows...

I had this same problem..not on a laptop but a rack mounted PC running Windows x64 + SSDs.. so plenty of power and grunt.

When I'd record, have some plugins going, basically hitting the machine reasonably hard, sometimes Windows would just halt, then reboot. Since this is a hardware cutout, no events are logged.

I isolated the problem as a thermal cutout due to overheating of the CPU when performing intensive IO+DMA. When the IO goes high, Windows tells the power manager to kick into turbo performance, which revs up the power..and the heat. If you run an old laptop without such power management, it's likely Studio One isn't working well very well at all anyway.

If you use a laptop, the problem can be much more frequent, as, although lower power, CPUs get scrunched into laptops, so suffer generally from heat problems (make sure vents are cleaned regularly :-).

I solved this by placing a dual rack fan into the back of the PC rack (it's housed in a road case). If you use a laptop, definitely invest in a laptop cooling fan like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079FPQFL1/ ... QDbM4MK0FV

You'll likely (hopefully) be using an SSD for recording, so make sure it's a good one (not all SSDs are created equal) and Windows is updated with the latest drivers, but you knew that already :-).

Hope this helps!
Peter
by Lokeyfly on Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:19 am
Thanks. Yep, old thread. Since such problems can be so widespread, numerous VST's, buffer settings to combat latency, etc, sometimes just good housekeeping can help big time. That being, ensuring ones drive is less than half full. Processor speed, minimising external processing that is unnecessary, so on, so on. What Cody, (OP) was finding was also inconsistency, from low VST usage as well.

I've used my laptop for music for 6 years, running S1 and it's all on one internal 7200 HHD. Of course I backup elsewhere, but an SSD while faster will not increase thru-put. Yes, read times, and startup times will be super fast but an actual fix could mean so many things, case specific of course.

The Presonus link for optimising your system covers a lot of help, and it's not about SSD's. It's about settings, and good practices.

Window 10 optimizing for Studio One
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025279231-Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

Listing for tuning and optimising computers for Studio One in general (Digital Audio).
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/sections/201961343-Tuning-and-Optimizing-Computers-for-Digital-Audio

S1 Pro 4.5.x, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Roland GR-50, Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Monitors: Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS-7, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01. Other hardware/Plugins and Libraries, contact me.

My music

On Bandcamp

On YouTube

7 posts
Page 1 of 1