10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I often get a warning there's a newer backup and do I want to yes/no use it instead of the saved copy when i start up Presonus.

Is there a way to set it to not ask me this anymore?

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
by Jemusic on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:29 pm
I think what has happened here is that firstly you are automatically backing up your song files. But what you may be doing is closing the song without saving it. So the backup is a later version that your original song file.

Try saving the song on closing. (or even before you close) Then your saved version should be equal to the backup. Then Studio One should be happy and you won't get that message again on startup.

Upon closing you should be getting the dialog box asking you do you want to save your changes. You may be hitting no instead of yes.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Steve Carter on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:27 pm
Disabling the 'newer version available' (or auto-save as Jemusic pointed out) could be a poor move. On many occasions, especially following a crash or when revisiting an older project, having an auto-backup, which subsequently promted me with the 'newer version available' drop-down has saved me countless time and frustration.

It's there to assist, not hinder and it points out that you are not opening the latest version of your song!

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Jemusic on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:39 am
I never suggest turning off auto save. I suggested that you just make sure you are saving fully before closing down.

I never use Autosave by the way and have also never lost anything yet. All you need to do is get into the habit of saving regularly while working, and make sure you are doing a final save before closing.

But if you are someone who does not save regularly while working, then Autosave is a good idea. But you still should do a final save. Sounds like the OP is autosaving but not doing the final save. Maybe he thinks you don't have to. But you do. If you don't, you could loose any work you do between the last autosave and when you close. Or if Studio One is autosaving on closing it means it will always have a newer version autosaved compared to the original song.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jw31 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am
Thanks I overlooked turning off autosave.

Actually I'm pretty good about saving when I make significant progress. Autosave is nice as a backup but it may be more of a bother than necessary. I'll see how I get by with it turned off or made lengthier at least. I had it set to every 5 minutes for some reason. . . I don't know if that was a default or a forgotten not too brilliant idea of mine but with that setting you better believe I was pestered every time I opened a project.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
by Jemusic on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:54 pm
In oder to not get that message though, whether autosave is on or off you need to do that final save before you close. Save right over the song you are working on.

In Windows by the way you can look at the file and see the exact time you saved which should be right at the end of your session.

by Steve Carter on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm
[quote="Jemusic"]I never suggest turning off auto save. I suggested that you just make sure you are saving fully before closing down.

I didn't mean to intimate that you advocated turning off auto save, I was just connecting the dots between the newer version message and auto saving!

I do save regularly but keep auto save on also (belt and braces) as it has saved me time and frustration on many occasions - especially in recent weeks as I've been experiencing regular crashing when using Melodyne (not a problem in the past) - still trying to pinpoint the issue....

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Lokeyfly on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:11 pm
JW31 wrote: Autosave is nice as a backup but it may be more of a bother than necessary.
agreed. :+1

Off the cuff, also make sure you are saving your songs to the same song folder, as Saving As outside a folder can brew up significant problems even further than the not latest song message you're receiving. Not that you're doing that, but it may help in seeing things from a files point of view, and how Studio One deals with that.

Also, try saving versions of your song with an added suffix at the end such as Songname1a, Songname1b, songname2a, etc. Typically, if a song is working out, I run up about 20 to 30 renditions of a song. Yet, it's very easy to not only see the latest developments, but also they take up very little file size, as they each draw from your supporting folder information for that song. This also makes those renditions clear to what you last worked on from your welcome/Song/Projects screen. That's because if you open some older Song version, Studio One has a habit of showing that song/project as the latest, when it may not be. So the suffix indicators become very handy.

May work for you

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 pm
I think backing up and keeping previous song versions is a good idea. And adding a suffix for each version is also good because it gets you into the habit of saving on completion of a session and naming it such. You may want to go back to previous version for some reason. That can happen.

Also you can save multiple versions within just the one song file too.

by Lokeyfly on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:58 am
And like Jemusic points out, keep an eye on the date, the file is saved, as it is Metadata. Then, the suffix of your named files will make sense to you if you accidently listen or open a non latest file, and accidently save to it, making that the incorrect latest. We've all done it. The suffix naming is a huge bailout, or can be. Of you prefer an older version, play hopscotch, and jump the suffix to some latest. Perhaps place the suffix in parenthesis. It all makes for good practices (of our own devices). Nice, nice, very nice!

With so many suffix names, I sometimes cheat a little and add some breif milestone like songname3b great mix.song

Then I know that if a mix went bad, I don't have to weed through files to refer what might be some great mix. Add any breif feature you think will help. In the end, simply have the clean filename for release.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

10 posts
Page 1 of 1