202 postsPage 4 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11
Totally forgot an articulation assistant, thanks!

For clip gain, that wasn't the best term. I love the existing gain features and use it for vocal comping and leveling. What I want to be able to do is have a channel input gain so I can quickly drive or back off the gain into the inserts without needing to use available separate gain plug-in. Sonar had this kind of post-clip, pre-insert gain on the console.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by Funkybot on Tue May 15, 2018 5:04 pm
jpettit wroteThat looks like the list of FRs on Answers. ;-)

Like I said, nothing major. Just some tiny tweaks here and there. :P

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by darrenporter1 on Tue May 15, 2018 5:05 pm
Funkybot wroteI just have a few very small things I hope to see:

...Track Notes...

I'd pay the upgrade price just for this.

Well, maybe not... but I do really want this bad!

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by bassfx on Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 pm
Funkybot wroteTotally forgot an articulation assistant, thanks!

For clip gain, that wasn't the best term. I love the existing gain features and use it for vocal comping and leveling. What I want to be able to do is have a channel input gain so I can quickly drive or back off the gain into the inserts without needing to use available separate gain plug-in. Sonar had this kind of post-clip, pre-insert gain on the console.

I understand now. A track/channel pre-insert gain would indeed be handy. But as you said, it's very doable using a plugin slot with a plugin like the Mixtool plugin. I think you have a point that maybe something like the Mixtool plugin should be a default feature on every track, giving you pre-insert gain, polarity, channel swap, etc.... little simple utility features. Would be nice.

Cubase has a gain on their channel BTW, so I'm sure our trusty Presonus Hamburg developers are very aware of this.
by Jemusic on Tue May 15, 2018 8:58 pm
Studio One can be used very well for scoring music to image. Firstly the important thing is getting vision edits with burned in timecode. Then you never have to waste time figuring out at what time something happens. You can offset this burned in code to the Studio One timecode. Not ideal here but can be done. A nice SMPTE Offset would be cool here so the image can stat on say bar 1.

But even so, setup down at some point in the timeline is fine. You can work just was easily in one specific area of the timeline. The Faderport 8 control surface adds a huge amount to working in this area. Just being able to scroll around and move between markers so easily. Faderport 8 adds a lot of functionality that you can use to work in this area, and use the mouse and qwerty keyboard less. You can jump around the transport and the arrangement well and fast. Zooming in to important areas etc.

Another thing worth noting is that Studio One Remote running on an iPad has this beautiful sublime method of moving through the timeline. Different to anything else. You can roll around the arrangement using your finger etc.. Can be used in tandem with Faderport 8 of course. etc.. It is important to get hardware involved in the post audio process as well as music making for those areas too. Controllers etc

I put videos on a third drive and direct the video player to there,. It always seems to work. Image plays fast from anywhere in the timeline and that is essentially one of the things you need.

Studio One won't edit video and generate mixed vision and music files etc. That is not its role. It just has the functionality to stream a movie etc in time with the timeline. More may come with that in the future. Other DAW's have delved deeper in these areas and they strong at it for sure.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Jose7822 on Wed May 16, 2018 8:28 am
Jemusic wroteStudio One can be used very well for scoring music to image. Firstly the important thing is getting vision edits with burned in timecode. Then you never have to waste time figuring out at what time something happens. You can offset this burned in code to the Studio One timecode. Not ideal here but can be done. A nice SMPTE Offset would be cool here so the image can stat on say bar 1.

But even so, setup down at some point in the timeline is fine. You can work just was easily in one specific area of the timeline. The Faderport 8 control surface adds a huge amount to working in this area. Just being able to scroll around and move between markers so easily. Faderport 8 adds a lot of functionality that you can use to work in this area, and use the mouse and qwerty keyboard less. You can jump around the transport and the arrangement well and fast. Zooming in to important areas etc.

Another thing worth noting is that Studio One Remote running on an iPad has this beautiful sublime method of moving through the timeline. Different to anything else. You can roll around the arrangement using your finger etc.. Can be used in tandem with Faderport 8 of course. etc.. It is important to get hardware involved in the post audio process as well as music making for those areas too. Controllers etc

I put videos on a third drive and direct the video player to there,. It always seems to work. Image plays fast from anywhere in the timeline and that is essentially one of the things you need.

Studio One won't edit video and generate mixed vision and music files etc. That is not its role. It just has the functionality to stream a movie etc in time with the timeline. More may come with that in the future. Other DAW's have delved deeper in these areas and they strong at it for sure.

You’re misunderstanding. No one said you can’t score to film in Studio One. I’m sure there are plenty of people doing that as we speak. The point being made is that, FOR SOME, Cubase offers various tools for composing and scoring that are simply missing in Studio One. These may not be essential for a particular workflow, but some of them do make working on certain projects a bit easier. In my case, one of those features that would make me leave Cubase once and for all is VST Expression Maps (or a type of articulation management). Could I score without it? Sure! Do I want to? Hell to the no! I also miss the chord track, but I can live without it. But not without VST Expression Maps. I don’t want to have to manage hundreds of tracks ever again :-).

As for the video engine in Studio One, there’s a bug that JDurham reported to Presonus that is definitely a showstopper if you need perfect audio/video sync. Presonus has acknowledged it and will hopefully be able to fix it soon. But until then, my understanding is that this bug makes it essentially impossible to get frame accuracy when editing dialog, since the frame offset is random (especially when a section of the project is being looped). Again, this has been reported to Presonus and I’m sure we’ll see a fix for it in the near future. Better yet, I hope Presonus focused its attention on the MIDI, Composing and Scoring side of things this time around for the next version of Studio One. A new and improved video engine, with better frame accuracy and support for different codecs, would be much appreciated.

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme | Intel Core i9 10900K (OC'ed to ~5 GHz) | 128GB of RAM | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti Gaming | Corsair iCUE H100i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Studio One 5 | Lynx Aurora (n) 8TB | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 8:48 am
Jose7822 wrote
As for the video engine in Studio One, there’s a bug that JDurham reported to Presonus that is definitely a showstopper if you need perfect audio/video sync. Presonus has acknowledged it and will hopefully be able to fix it soon. But until then, my understanding is that this bug makes it essentially impossible to get frame accuracy when editing dialog, since the frame offset is random (especially when a section of the project is being looped). Again, this has been reported to Presonus and I’m sure we’ll see a fix for it in the near future.

Yes, the sync bug has been reported and verified/acknowledged. Just for clarification, it only exists on Windows -- I've tested it on OSX as well, and the video engine works better there. On Windows, there is a workaround BTW, which is to re-render your video with a keyframe distance = 1 and it will sync up correctly. That can be a real hassle and you may not have time to do that for your client, or it may not work for pro workflows, so indeed it can be a showstopper. The worse thing about it, is that you would NOT know about it until it is too late, unless you've been checking timecode very carefully. So the bug has been there for a while and people have been unknowingly producing work to video that is technically not in perfect sync. Presonus is definitely aware of it, and crossing fingers they fix it in the next release! :-)

And to the larger point, I agree with Jose7822 that Studio One can be used professionally for film/video, but there are indeed key features it still needs to get the workflow updated closer to state of the art, especially with an integrated, well designed articulation management system. I will be really shocked if that doesn't come soon, since it's been up-voted many times in the feature request list, and almost every composer I know who has used Cubase has mentioned it as a big shortcoming of Studio One for their work.

If Presonus enhances the video engine and gives us articulation management, that will go a LONG way to enticing many composers and film/video people to jump ship from Cubase.

Studio One is already soooooooo good in so many other ways. I just finished a short film with it, and it's almost there for my kind of workflow... which makes me very excited for May 22! What will Studio One v4 bring us? Who knows! 6 days to find out!
by Skaperverket on Wed May 16, 2018 9:37 am
I agree that having the utility tools like gain trim, flip polarity switch, true stereo pan (not just balance) etc. would make sense. If only as an option.

This could all be tucked away in some advanced options settings along with other more customization option. I also wish for pre FX (or even in-between FX, like Harrison Mixbus) sends, more color options for the faders, modulators and an automatable VCA like feature for any parameter on any track (not just volume faders), an option (with a warning if necessary) to allow feedback loop routing in the mixer, and that all channels in the mixer can be re-purposed after they've been created (let's say you have a track/channel with a VI and inserts and various routing assignments and then decide that you'd rather use this channel as an audio channel or bus, or let's say you'd want one of your audio channel to be used as a VI - in some DAWs you can transform a channel, and in some a channel is just a channel and can be used as anything you'd like).

Also hoping we'll get an additional way to route sends to existing Bus Channels. The way it is today, it gets a bit convoluted once you have many, many instances to browse through in the drop down menu. In Reaper it is a matter of simply dragging a symbol from the channel to send from and dropping it onto the channel to send to. Similarly, an easier way to create and route side-chain key inputs by drag and drop (and/or even just being able to create and assign the send to the key input from the plug-in window, like in Ableton Live) would be great.

Most of all I hope all bugs and inconsistencies can be ironed out, like f.i. the issue where automation timing accuracy does change when switching buffer size or sample rate (or the video timing issue). And all people who bought Studio One 3 deserve a bug free product even if they choose not to pay for an upgrade. If this last part means we'd have to get a version 3.6 maintenance update first and wait for bigger feature upgrades until version 4 at some later point in time, I'd be more than willing to accept that. German precision for the win. Studio One is the best DAW, and with any new feature and version upgrade I hope it can remain the best DAW.
by Lokeyfly on Wed May 16, 2018 10:57 am
Absolutely looking to an improved AV synchronization that acts on looping as well as loop forward (hope, hope) conditions, and slaves/drives/Syncs to SMPTE and all frame rates 24 thru 30 fps.

Obviously, what is developed for v4 is long completed, so asking for it now is like driving home. And asking for that ride on the Merry-go-round. Sorry, kids.

But hey, why not ask. We don't even know what's coming in late May.

My big 5 wishes for Studio One goes like:
1 Jump "skip" timeline forward (via left loop marker, past right). Creates instant musical change auditions, before committing to moving parts around, and guessing. So easy to implement!
2.Mixer Snapshots (I'd have to guess we will have this).
3. Mixer channels display based on activity of tracks (dynamic mixer channels).
4. Multi edit window for all MIDI and Melodyne (blobs) or audio combined on one screen to move either or both as necessary.
5. a dedicated drum editor (did we have to ask for that?)

Ah, the things we do for love. 8-)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 11:36 am
Lokeyfly wrote... and all frame rates 24 thru 30 fps.

23.976 to 30 fps and all the goofy ones in between :-) If they want to go hard core, then they could add all the way up to 60 fps.

Lokeyfly wroteBut hey, why not ask. We don't even know what's coming in late May.

Yep, the suspense is growing every day. It will be hilarious if Presonus announces on May 22 another mixer. I think we're safe that it's Studio One v4 though... their latest mixer series came out less than 1 1/2 years ago. And their silence is very telling.

Lokeyfly wroteAh, the things we do for love. 8-)

Truth
by Jemusic on Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm
I have been testing lately with a video segment of about 2 to 3 minutes. I am experiencing this looping endlessly and seamlessly each pass in terms of vision being locked to the timeline. Faderport 8 makes it very easy to scroll around before and after a loop. And go into play. For me vision seems to lock up in very fast time.

I do have the vision streaming now from my audio drive. I moved the video clips to there from my 3rd samples and libraries drive. I also keep my audio drive well de-fragmnented. I am sure it helps.

Studio One is not great for jogging one frame at a time I agree right now. But for me right now it can play a loop and the vision is always in the same place. While looping. I am sure this can be improved. But if you have burned in code in your vision, then it much easier to see hit points and make the necessary changes in tempo etc in order to put them on beats etc with respect to the tempo of the cue you are working on.

I get other DAW's having advanced scoring video player options. It will attract another group of people if its done right in Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 pm
Not to get too OT on this thread, but I'll reiterate there is definitely a confirmed bug with Presonus developers with the Windows video engine accuracy with common H264 codec settings in Studio One 3.5 (tested most recently on 3.5.6 on Windows 10). It is up to 2 frames off, and it varies from 0-2 frames during playback, so the frame offset feature doesn't help. This is tested, repeatable with timecode burned in on multiple files. Studio One's video engine on Windows does NOT currently sync properly with common H264 settings. Thus, you cannot line up audio frame-accurately without a workaround for many typical video files. HOWEVER, Jemusic, if you are indeed getting perfect frame-accurate sync, then you are using different codec settings (and I would love to know what exact settings you are using), OR you are using the older Studio One engine (pre-3.3 that relied on QuickTime, which is now deprecated), OR you are using keyframe distance of 1 with H264, OR you are running on Mac OSX. Macs don't have the same bug.

That's not the only video engine issue, but it is the most frustrating for frame-accurate work right now. The most direct way to work around the issue to re-render the video with a keyframe distance of 1... or use a Mac.

The looping issue is different, but it is easier to work around if you import audio to the timeline. I won't get into details here so we can stay more on topic. But basically, Presonus needs to fix the frame accuracy bug mentioned above, and they already know about it, have acknowledged it, have been professional about it, so I'm very optimistic it will be fixed soon. They have been very classy, and it gives me a lot of confidence about the developers.

Hopefully already solved for Studio One 4.
by Vocalpoint on Wed May 16, 2018 4:09 pm
Just noticed that spot that had the storm cloud graphic yesterday on FB

https://www.facebook.com/PreSonus/video ... 516882634/

Has been replaced with a video about some new audio interfaces. While I want v4 as much as the next guy - the sudden disappearance of that "May 22 graphic" (with the 4 dots) now makes me wonder if S1 v4 is really on tap for next week....

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 pm
Also, the YouTube page is still here too, whew!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8okO2K7qaso

Plus, there have been some other little things that have popped up on the Internet that line up with something going on... so personally, I think we're still good for May 22 folks!
by bassfx on Wed May 16, 2018 4:53 pm
What is up with those dark clouds though? Someone in the Presonus design or marketing department came up with that idea... I'm trying to figure out what they are implying with dark clouds swirling around like that?

1) Are they just messing with us?

2) Do the dark clouds signify a "big storm coming our way" and Studio One 4 will be all shock and awe and blow us away?

3) Is this a message to Steinberg and Avid that their clouds are about to get very dark once Studio One 4 is released?

4) Are the clouds a message suggesting that before Studio One 4, there was darkness in the world, but then when Studio One 4 is released, it will be like a ray of sunshine, bursting through dark clouds, bringing enlightenment into the world?

5) The clouds look kind of cinematic (if you play the GIF on the Facebook link) -- does that suggest they are going to dramatically release film/video-scoring oriented features?

6) Do the dark clouds signify "thunder" rolling in the background -- are we getting a whole bunch of LFO and low-frequency features like a new synth or library or plugins?

7) Do the clouds signify cloud collaboration?

8) Do the clouds surrounding us suggest they are adding surround features?

9) I noticed a painting-like texture superimposed on the clouds... kind of classical meets modern... could that imply notation features?

10) Could it signify a color palette for the interface?

11) Could it represent the mood of the marketing department with all of our speculations?

12) Could it mean NOTHING and some Presonus graphic designer just thought it was cool and is now laughing at us trying to read something into it?
by Jemusic on Wed May 16, 2018 6:52 pm
I have been testing the video playback on a Windows machine. There is a scene where there is drastic image cut at one point and a sharp percussive sound right on the cut. It is spot on every time it passes over this section. 2 frames out in my speak is 80 mS (25 frames/sec e.g. 40 mS per frame) so it would be obvious if it were 2 frames out. I can see things one frame out as well, just. It does not even look like one frame out to me either.

The movie is just a standard Quick Time file. I am running 3.5.6. Also I like to extract the audio and play it from an audio track, not the movie itself. I find in this mode things seem more solid and work very well. I am getting very tight visual display over a loop.

If I scroll way ahead or further back etc with Faderport 8 and then hit play it takes well under 0.5 secs to jump into the right position and play from there. Same every time.

by dnashpherathu on Wed May 16, 2018 7:33 pm
i'll bet even money there's still no progress on the midi "omni" front. stripping channel information is still the most regressive function i've ever seen in a "pro" daw.

audio sounds great though. pity.

i really hope to be proven wrong.
by Jose7822 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:39 pm
jdurham wroteWhat is up with those dark clouds though? Someone in the Presonus design or marketing department came up with that idea... I'm trying to figure out what they are implying with dark clouds swirling around like that?

1) Are they just messing with us?

I hope not :-P.

2) Do the dark clouds signify a "big storm coming our way" and Studio One 4 will be all shock and awe and blow us away?

3) Is this a message to Steinberg and Avid that their clouds are about to get very dark once Studio One 4 is released?

4) Are the clouds a message suggesting that before Studio One 4, there was darkness in the world, but then when Studio One 4 is released, it will be like a ray of sunshine, bursting through dark clouds, bringing enlightenment into the world?

5) The clouds look kind of cinematic (if you play the GIF on the Facebook link) -- does that suggest they are going to dramatically release film/video-scoring oriented features?

6) Do the dark clouds signify "thunder" rolling in the background -- are we getting a whole bunch of LFO and low-frequency features like a new synth or library or plugins?

7) Do the clouds signify cloud collaboration?

8) Do the clouds surrounding us suggest they are adding surround features?

9) I noticed a painting-like texture superimposed on the clouds... kind of classical meets modern... could that imply notation features?

10) Could it signify a color palette for the interface?

All of the above, hopefully :-).

11) Could it represent the mood of the marketing department with all of our speculations?

12) Could it mean NOTHING and some Presonus graphic designer just thought it was cool and is now laughing at us trying to read something into it?

Most likely :-(

Just kidding!

I do hope that, whatever the clouds mean, it has to do with Studio One v4 storming its way into the DAW scene with some killer new features. Looking forward to next week when the truth is revealed.

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme | Intel Core i9 10900K (OC'ed to ~5 GHz) | 128GB of RAM | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti Gaming | Corsair iCUE H100i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Studio One 5 | Lynx Aurora (n) 8TB | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
by robertgray3 on Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm
dnashpherathu wrotei'll bet even money there's still no progress on the midi "omni" front. stripping channel information is still the most regressive function i've ever seen in a "pro" daw.

audio sounds great though. pity.

i really hope to be proven wrong.

Me too - I feel like the whole “MIDI without MIDI” concept could be improved upon a lot but it may take a bit of a reimagining from where it’s at now.

Direct Input for MIDI effects, polyphonic aftertouch, multiple midi channels on multi instruments etc and other types of routing options for example. DAWs that more closely mimic traditional MIDI sequencers seem to still have a leg up in these areas.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2

202 postsPage 4 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11